Advanced search

AIBU about suncream?

(31 Posts)
MissSunny Wed 01-Jul-09 09:58:17

Message withdrawn

sarah293 Wed 01-Jul-09 09:59:47

Message withdrawn

Stigaloid Wed 01-Jul-09 10:11:33

YANBU - skin cancer is a very serious and real issue and schools should certainly ensure children are protected from the sun, especially when it is at it's strongest during midday.

ginnny Wed 01-Jul-09 10:51:09

My dss put on Factor 50 in the morning before school and don't reapply and they have never got sunburnt.
I think it would be a logistical nightmare to have 30 or so dc all applying suncream half way through the day although I do think if a child is capable of doing it sensibly and the parent feels strongly about it as you do then the teachers should use a bit of discretion.

mylifemykids Wed 01-Jul-09 10:55:56

But Ginny the child in question has allergies which is a medical 'condition' and the school should make allowances. I don't see why she can't be allowed 2 minutes before going out to play to apply some lotion to herself!

I'd be back in waiting for the head after school if I were you misssunny

princessmel Wed 01-Jul-09 11:01:25

I put factor 30 on the dc's before school. They are allowed to reapply the cream themselves before they go out to play. I provide ds with a bottle but I don't know if he does it, or indeed how acurate he is with it!

He has never burnt.

I also spoke the teacher today and she said that during this very hot weather they are not allowed to run or play football. And they are kept on the field where there is a lot of shade from trees.
They bring the construction toys outside.

yanbu though.

Disenchanted3 Wed 01-Jul-09 11:01:42

Ginny im sure its also a 'logistical nightmare' to cater each day for 300 children, to arrange a trip to the farm for 60 kids, to make sure each child has washed their hands before lunch,

but these things are done as they are the schools responsibility and duty, as should be preventing children from being BURNT.

shouldbeironing Wed 01-Jul-09 11:02:17

I think that given we only have weather like this for maybe 10-20 school days a year, it wouldnt be too much to ask that children be allowed or even encouraged to protect themselves from the sun.

Mine are okay with all-day cream and although they still have a little bit of clolour I think it stops the worst of it - but one of their friends has very sensitive skin and has had no end of trouble.

It is bizarre that some schools are keeping children indoors whilst others are adopting a dont care attitude.

OP - do you have a friendly GP or practice nurse - could you get an "official" letter concerning the allergies to all-day suncreams and requesting that your DD be allowed to reapply the cream to which she is not allergic. Get copies, take it to the headteacher and the teacher and ask that it is kept on file for future years at that school. I think they have to take more notice then.

quirkychick Wed 01-Jul-09 11:08:10

MissSunny I have taught reception children and they have always been allowed to reapply suncream before play and lunchtime. The same as making sure they put on sunhats etc. and talking to them about staying in the shade, drinking lots and not running about. It's educating them about being safe in the sun. Just as in winter I would make sure they had coats done up, hats, scarfs, gloves etc. Common sense.

princessmel Wed 01-Jul-09 11:16:31

That's what our school is like quirkychick.

They are allowed their water bottles on their desks too.

ginnny Wed 01-Jul-09 11:24:00

I did say that the teachers should use their discretion, MLMK especially in the OP's case as it is a medical requirement due to her allergies.
Not all dc are capable of putting it on sensibly though - ds1 would use a whole bottle at a time if he did it himself and I can just imagine the chaos of a whole class of little monsters children like him squirting it about willynilly grin
Its important to keep them in the shade where possible and to make sure they don't run around too much and drink plenty of water.

crazylizzy Wed 01-Jul-09 11:25:25

YANBU at all but sadly it's a very common rule for schools not to reapply suncream due to "health and safety issues". Bloody madness hmm

nellie12 Wed 01-Jul-09 11:32:45

Yanbu, I got told that the school couldn't help children (5yo) put on sun cream due to "child protection". (ffs) I think also they are a bit unaware about the need to put suncream on 30 minutes before exposure.

I'm beginning to think that the way to get schools (or education authorities who make the policies) to change is to take it up with the school nurse and pcts. After all the schools are keen to get healthy school status and educating kids about sun safety should be part of that. Alternatively if anyone knows of someone famous who has a thing about skin cancer to take up the cause...

PeedOffWithNits Wed 01-Jul-09 11:39:46

our school possitively encourages children to reapply suncream during the day

they are also reminded about NOT sharing with other friends, and told to remind their parents to send sun cream in

totally agree the child, unless very specific physical difficulties, should apply themselves. otherwise the staff would not only have to apply to each child, but wash their hands in between each type of cream! The only exception should be nursery children - we had to sign a form saying we gave permission for them to apply suncream, same as you would for administering medicine etc

islandofsodor Wed 01-Jul-09 11:43:58

I don't buy this logostical nightmare thing.

Dd and ds take in a named bottle (actually a deoderant style roll on) suncream and they all apply at lunchtime. It takes less than 5 mins apparently.

At nursery (36 children) they used to line them all up with a big communal bottle and two nursery nurses would slap it on them all.

Simples!

nellie12 Wed 01-Jul-09 11:44:43

That sounds quite sensible peedoff, I got the impression I was one of a few parents sending suncream in. At least your school will help nursery kids put it on ours wont due to council policy.

leya Wed 01-Jul-09 12:02:27

YANBU!! I have put cream on dd, at regular interval's at home, and everytime we chat about it's importance, and also it's danger's in the wrong place's( eg mouth, eye's etc). The school also have the same routine at lunchtime. It's part of everyday school life, just as eating dinner, and learning road safety etc is. They need to wake up.

SoupDragon Wed 01-Jul-09 12:18:42

DSs use the Soltan Once-a day stuff. It does protect for the entire school day. I have a magnificent set of white finger marks on my back where I'd not reached round far enough to rub it in at the school fair - I was out in the sun from 11am until 5pm.

I don't see why they would have a problem with a child applying their own sun cream. I can see why they can't apply it for the child though - that would be a logistical nightmare.

katiestar Wed 01-Jul-09 12:53:10

Put your compaint in writing and ask for a copy to be put on your DCs file.I think you will find they have a sudden change of policy !

piscesmoon Wed 01-Jul-09 13:10:44

I think it is wrong not to let them bring in their own sun cream and apply it themselves-however teachers are not allowed to apply suncream. See this other thread

MissSunny Wed 01-Jul-09 13:26:16

Message withdrawn

littleducks Wed 01-Jul-09 13:28:56

All these threads seem to end up with half the posters saying 'it does last all day' or 'it doesnt'

Surely how long suncream lasts depends on your skin type? if spf 15 means it takes 15 times longer to burn than without, it varies how effective it will be between someone who would burn after an hour of after 2 minutes

So although marketed as 'all day' the cream may still be on the skin(if it hasnt been washed or sweated off) but is no longer effective if your skin burns easily?

There is some interesting info from [www.cancerhelp.org.uk/help/default.asp?page=3007 cancer research] about the way suncream is labelled and the best to but as well as links to info that schools should be using, hope that helps someone

katiestar Wed 01-Jul-09 13:36:49

Could you email or write and CC to the school nurse Write the letter politely explaining to them that you feel your DD does not tolerate 'all day suncream and needs to reapply her sunscreen during the day to avoid getting sunburned and please can you advise how this can be achieved.
Finish off by saying please put a copy of this letter on DDs file.Make it about YOUR DD not school policy
I think once it is in writing and the school nurse involved you will see a result.

saadia Wed 01-Jul-09 13:38:14

YANBU, at dss' school we are asked to send it in and they do re-apply - came out yesterday slathered in the stuff. It was absolutely baking and I dread to think of the damage they could suffer without protection.

islandofsodor Wed 01-Jul-09 15:45:01

In which case I would write to the governors as you have already approached the head. You could perhaps quote the DDA as excema is a medical condition and your child is being discriminated against due to her not tolerating once a day creams.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now