Talk

Advanced search

To have had a massive row with my colleague because she was reading my sister's email

(14 Posts)
helpmegetthisrightplease Tue 30-Jun-09 22:36:36

My sister came into see me at work earlier as we were having lunch together. As I was running a bit late, she asked if it would be alright to use my computer to check her email while she waited and my boss was fine with it.

She somehow forgot to log off. When I came in I found my colleague reading through her emails. I don't know how many she'd read or about what but it was clear that's what she was doing as I stood behind her and saw her go from one email to the next.

Her rather pathtic excuse was that if my sister had left them open on a shared machine in the office they must be public access information. I am absolutely FUMING and not sure whether to tell my sister. Certainly she should have remembered to log off but I am appalled at my colleagues lack of basic decency.

letsgostrawberrypicking Tue 30-Jun-09 22:39:58

yanbu - cheeky mare! Wasnt she even embarrassed at being caught?

HolyGuacamole Tue 30-Jun-09 22:42:41

Do you not log your pc off when you are away from it or on a break/lunch? Not saying it's your fault at all, but maybe get into the habit of locking it whilst you are away from the screen?

Nosey so and so by the way. It's defo a moral invasion of privacy regardless. I'm not sure if you should tell your sister or not....

HolyGuacamole Tue 30-Jun-09 22:43:49

Woops, sorry, I just realised you sad it's a shared machine and can't lock it etc etc blush

HolyGuacamole Tue 30-Jun-09 22:44:25

sad = said

<this heat, it's melting my brain today>

helpmegetthisrightplease Tue 30-Jun-09 22:47:55

Sorry I'm not better wrote my computer meant a computer (i.e the shared one)

JudyBlume1019 Tue 30-Jun-09 22:51:02

yanbu, did you give her what for??

booyhoo Tue 30-Jun-09 23:53:06

i think if it was me i would tell my sister as the colleague might have had a sneaky peek at log in details and there might also ave been emails regarding financial stuff. or other personal stuff that she wouldnt share with anyone. ie passwords

Asana Wed 01-Jul-09 07:36:14

You have no choice but to tell your sister (and advise her to change her passwords for her email and anything else that was accessible through it). I would also report the incident to your boss as your colleague has not only intruded on your sister's privacy but, by doing so, has brought the company/organisation into disrepute. YANBU.

quidnunc Wed 01-Jul-09 07:54:55

Christ, do people have no standards or common decency any more?! I am livid on your behalf.

Honestly, how much strength of character does it take to say 'No, I won't look though that person's email'? Not a lot, surely.

I'd def. make a bit of a stink about it, including a complaint to her manager.

Hope nothing too personal was seen. As already advised, by Asana et al I think you ought to tell your sister, and suggest she changes login details.

Kimi Wed 01-Jul-09 07:57:48

Email your sister telling her thet the nosy bitch you work with has been reading her private emails, then leave it open for said nosy bitch to see grin

LoveBeingAMummy Wed 01-Jul-09 11:31:18

What kind of person gets thrills from reading the emails of someone they don't know which was probably a load of spam and stupid mail offers anyway!

junglist1 Wed 01-Jul-09 13:42:40

sad cow!!

duchesse Wed 01-Jul-09 13:47:34

What an absolute weirdo. Do think she goes around fishing around inside people's post boxes and steaming open their mail as well?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now