Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think this disposal of lost property is pretty poor on part of school

(6 Posts)
mysteryfairy Tue 30-Jun-09 20:26:17

My DS2 is in year 7. His school uniform jumper with school crest on costs £20. He lost a jumper during the winter having worn it to school for about a week in total. The jumper was nametaped with a sew in name label showing his unusualish first name and unique-in-the-local-phone-book surname in full. At every talk to parents I have been to at the school they have asked us to name all items and told us that there is a system for named items to be returned via the form teacher so we can't lose something in school if it is named.

After school today there was a lost property sale. I only found out about it by chance on Sunday whilst rifling through his bag (another story). I had back to back meetings at work but managed to persuade my mum to go and see if she could pick up any jumpers/blazer/spare pe kit. She has bought a few items for me including DS2's lost jumper which was sold to her with nametape still in place for 20p.

I'm annoyed with the school for two reasons. Firstly they did not return the jumper although it was clearly named and they have repeatedly told me that it is their policy to do so. (Otherwise I would not expect it to make it further than a lost property cupboard.) Secondly the uniform sale raises money for school funds so what are they doing selling a £20 jumper for 20p? I would have expected to pay at least £5 for a jumper and at his previous school (prep with massively expensive uniform) I happily did just that at the uniform sales.

I'm also annoyed with my mum because she only bought two jumpers (and one was mine already) rather than a lifetime's supply and left all the rugby and football boots (imagine losing them in pairs!) which were apparently 20p a pair.

BTW I'm not really asking AIBU to be annoyed with my mum. I'm massively grateful to her for going and getting me anything at all!

PeedOffWithNits Tue 30-Jun-09 21:22:21

very odd that named items were not returned

HerBeatitudeLittleBella Tue 30-Jun-09 21:28:33

I'm slightly stunned that any school would sell off marked property.

My DS's school has a lost property bin which gets emptied every half term and put out on tables in the playground. You are expected to take what's your's (not anyone else's) and that's generally what happens.

RumourOfAHurricane Tue 30-Jun-09 21:32:26

Message withdrawn

hatesponge Tue 30-Jun-09 21:39:40

YANBU in the slightest.

my DSs primary school is very similar in its lost property policy. You get a term to collect stuff and after that it gets sold. Both my DSs have unique first names, so are hardly difficult to identify.

The only way I have ever had stuff back is by going in and rooting around in the lost property bins myself (great way to spend an afternoon off work....!) or if someone has bought it & returned it to me after a sale.

All their clothes have their names on but that appears to make no difference! Thankfully their jumpers etc are £4-5 from Asda rather than the £15+ ones with school badge on (which I refuse to buy as they are lost/sold /whatever)

Also a bit shock at stuff being sold for 20p.....who would object to paying £2-3 at least, if not £5?

mamas12 Tue 30-Jun-09 21:56:45

yep My dcs primary yr6 girls were 'in charge' of selling the lost porperty to raise money and they were going around picking up jumpers as goalposts from the playground and trying to sell them that evening!
A quick word with the head of year would do the trick I think

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now