Talk

Advanced search

to think the school might have warned me about swine flu in ds2's class

(5 Posts)
weblette Tue 30-Jun-09 15:43:26

Apologies for yet another swine flu one but here goes.

A boy in ds2's Reception class has been off for a fortnight. Saw his mother today, he and his sibling have had swine flu so have been in quarantine.

While I understand completely the fact that the school are taking a pragmatic approach and did not want to create an unnecessary reaction, my son has severe asthma attacks which are generated solely by respiratory viruses. He has the flu jab every year as while a normal cough or cold is bad enough, the reaction he might have to flu would probably hospitalise him.

AIBU to think that in these circs they might have had a quiet word to watch out for the symptoms as he may have been exposed to the current virus?

MummyDragon Tue 30-Jun-09 16:38:51

That's such a tricky one - the school has to balance your son's medical needs again the swine flu victim's right to privacy. On balance, I feel that the school should have said something discreetly and YANBU (they do this with chickenpox, D&V etc so I don't see how this is any different).

PeedOffWithNits Tue 30-Jun-09 19:17:20

I would have expected a (calmly worded and informative) letter home to all pupils TBH, like we get when there is any significant illness in school

weblette Wed 01-Jul-09 11:17:24

Thanks for the replies, I don't 'do' health scares, think I'm reasonably pragmatic about these things but this irked me!

tiredemma Wed 01-Jul-09 11:20:28

A fair amount of children in my boys school have been confirmed as having swine flu (ds2 is off currently in 'Quarantine' and is due swabs back tomorrow)
Its quite rife here in north birmingham and everybody knows somebody who has it.

School only sent out a generic education authority/council letter- No specific letter from the school highlighting cases within the school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now