Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to be pissed off over dads birthhday ...

(23 Posts)
Disenchanted3 Tue 30-Jun-09 12:57:34

Said he wanted an ipod docking station, then didn't.

Can't get him a bottle of something (2 people already have and hes trying to cut down)

Can't get him tabacco, trying to stop,

Doesn't want money, says he'll 'give it away'

Just said to my mum I'll pop to TKmaxx before visit,
'oh no, theres nothing for him at all in there'

hmm

Im not going to turn up empty handed,

Why make it so bloody difficult??

2shoes Tue 30-Jun-09 12:58:40

a tattoo?

Disenchanted3 Tue 30-Jun-09 12:58:44

Oh and BTW my mum keeps saying 'oh just leave him, just get him a card its fine,'

She doesn't say that on her birthhday ... its all 'oooh what have I got?'

and doesn't complain at her £50 perfume then!!

MatNanPlus Tue 30-Jun-09 13:00:19

Get him something you think he might like or use.

nametaken Tue 30-Jun-09 13:01:41

Ask him what he wants for his birthday. Get him what he asks for. If he says he doesn't know, ask him to tell you when he does know. If he still doesn't say, get him one of those charity gifts.

Or what about a gift voucher for the cinema, stuck on a box of popcorn and wrapped up. Bit of a cop-out, but I often buy this for people when I'm stuck.

Disenchanted3 Tue 30-Jun-09 13:02:41

He is very awkward though, he doesn't use much apart from computery gadgets and then he is very specific over which he would like,

He usually tells us what he wants and we all put together and get that.

But he doesn't want the ipod station now,

birthday is tomorrow

Bougainvillia Tue 30-Jun-09 13:03:31

Are you cross with your Mum because you don't know what to buy your Dad for his birthday?

Disenchanted3 Tue 30-Jun-09 13:03:42

Lol @ charity gift, my dad would PHSL at that!!

fucksticks Tue 30-Jun-09 13:04:20

aftershave? chocolates? a DVD? book?

OatcakeCravings Tue 30-Jun-09 13:04:38

Get him the iPod station and say that you'd already bought it before he changed his mind!

Disenchanted3 Tue 30-Jun-09 13:05:07

No, Im cross with my mum because she wants us to make a huge fuss at her birthday but wants us to not bother with my dad, which is unfair.

My mum is going through alot at the moment, so Im not really angry persay, just frustrated that instead of suggesting something she is just shooting down my suggestions.

mayorquimby Tue 30-Jun-09 13:05:49

nip out and get him a voucher for compustore or the gadget shop and just say "i didn't want to turn up empty handed and i didn't want to risk getting you the wrong thing/something you wouldn't use so put this towards something you do want"

PlumBumMum Tue 30-Jun-09 13:06:31

Why don't you ask your mum to mind your dcs and take just you and your dad out to lunch

Disenchanted3 Tue 30-Jun-09 13:10:11

Gosh, I sound like Im just dismissing every suggestion,

Im sorry

My dads a funny chap, we would never go out for lunch together, hes like me, very unsociable and a bit of a hermit. (not in a literal sense!!)

I don't drive eiher so its hard to get to his computer shop,

is a good idea though

they might do online vouchers,

thanks

DesperateHousewifeToo Tue 30-Jun-09 13:11:40

I usually resort to a framed photo of my dcs for my dad.

How about making him a birthday cake?

HuffwardlyRudge Tue 30-Jun-09 14:04:58

A book?

A funny, trivia sort of book?
Or a factual book?
Or a novel?
Or a beautiful book?
Or a quiz book?

2rebecca Tue 30-Jun-09 14:11:06

What does he say if you ask him? Your mum sounds mean. My dad is usually good at suggesting things he'd like if I ask him. Garden centre or amazon vouchers or something similar otherwise.

muddleduck Tue 30-Jun-09 14:27:23

take him out for a meal?

2rebecca Tue 30-Jun-09 14:29:50

A meal together or a concert together might be nice. Quiet dads often get overlooked a bit.

Floopy21 Tue 30-Jun-09 15:03:46

How about a big bunch of flowers? It's not only women who appreciate them...although maybe the men in my family just humour me?!

Alestorm Tue 30-Jun-09 15:09:49

How about a gift later? I often get a card, and write in it that if they see something at any time of the year (or if i see something i think they might like) then I'll buy it for them as their birthday present. Like a present in lieu, sort of?

How about an iPod skin, instead of the dock? Or iTunes vouchers?

PurpleCrazyHorse Tue 30-Jun-09 15:27:40

Vouchers are always useful especially iTunes or Amazon. M&S is another favourite of mine for presents as easy to return items if not quite right!

Maybe a magazine subscription - can get discounts online. Loads of computer mags to choose from or print out a list and get him to choose one when you visit tomorrow. Or get for six months and ask if he wants to continue or choose another mag when time up.

National Trust membership maybe, cheaper if retired my mum loved it.

MummyDragon Tue 30-Jun-09 16:16:34

Books or vouchers or mag subscriptions, all good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now