Talk

Advanced search

to not want to dress DS in blue 'cheeky monkey' clothing?

(53 Posts)
usernametaken Mon 29-Jun-09 22:01:53

DS is due in 10wks, why oh why can I not find bright clothing for him?

I don't want pale blue, greys, murkey off-colours with slogans such as 'cheeky monkey' and 'little monster' stamped all over the items.

I want bright/bold sleepsuits, bright vests, bright velour suits and un-sloganed!

Why do clothing manufacturers think my child is going to be a 'cheeky monkey'? If I walk into any highstreet shop I am faced with a pale blue section, a pale pink section and a greeny/yellow section.

Don't get me started on clothing for 4yr old girls!

booyhoo Mon 29-Jun-09 22:05:22

i got ds's great long sleeved tops from tesco that say "dont mess with my mum". i love them.

but i totally agree re the cheeky monkey. i think its funnier when people havent had the heads up.

Posey Mon 29-Jun-09 22:07:16

Do you have a TKMaxx? When I was looking for baby presents for 3 friends, there was loads of stuff in bright colours. Some especially gorgeous sleepsuits in green and yellow, and other Fimble inspired stripes smile
Oh and a particularly lovely pink and brown.

RumourOfAHurricane Mon 29-Jun-09 22:07:31

Message withdrawn

fucksticks Mon 29-Jun-09 22:08:45

H&M

StayFrosty Mon 29-Jun-09 22:09:03

I am expecting a boy in 12 weeks, and I hear ya! I will be ordering some stripey outfits from Kids should be Kids here - very Kurt Cobain. I have also seen some nice bits in Boots and H & M. Do not despair, you just have to shop around a bit. But I hav made it very clear to all rellies that anything with a slogan will be getting short shrift.

KnitterInTheNW Mon 29-Jun-09 22:09:31

Have a look in H&M. They have bright stuff with slightly wacky prints and pictures, I love them!

auntilin Mon 29-Jun-09 22:10:46

john lewis has bright baby boy sleep suits on sale too!

squeaver Mon 29-Jun-09 22:11:25

If you can get t one of their shops, these guys are good.

KnitterInTheNW Mon 29-Jun-09 22:11:35

Pumpkin Patch too.

usernametaken Mon 29-Jun-09 22:13:21

Wow...my rant turned into a really helpful thread, thank you so much! I am calming now and feel a shopping trip coming on!

Overmydeadbody Mon 29-Jun-09 22:23:14

DS is mostly kitted out in H&M and Kids Should Be Kids, with the odd bit of Tesco, Gap an pumpkin Patch thrown in for good measure. All bright colours, non-sloganed, non camouflage mushroom coloured clothing.

I love boys in bright clothes. There is stuff out there, you just have to know where to look!smile

Also, for babygrows, don;t limit yourself to looking at the 'boys' section, have a look through the girls section too, not all of it is pink and girly, you might find more bright colours there.

www.nordickids.co.uk/acatalog/plastisock.html

www.yellowlolly.com/

hope these are of use?

Molo and Me Too are good

Satsuma1 Mon 29-Jun-09 22:29:19

Agree that Po.P is great, although not convenient if you can't get to one of their shops. I think they have a sale on atm too.

Generally, the Scandinavian brands seem to offer the kind of stuff you're looking for. The Hedgepig and Yellow Lolly are good places to look and have quite good sales if you're willing to bide your time.

Satsuma1 Mon 29-Jun-09 22:31:26

Bebaboo is quite a good online store and I've seen good deals in their sale for newborn sizes recently (www.bebaboo.com)

Jojay Mon 29-Jun-09 22:39:54

I love this brand, Toby Tiger - Ds has this stripy romper and it's my favourite outfit by far!

Good service from this website too

mumeeee Mon 29-Jun-09 23:12:29

I found some nice bold stuff with out slocans in H&M for a friends baby.

MissSunny Tue 30-Jun-09 00:18:17

Message withdrawn

FAQinglovely Tue 30-Jun-09 00:23:42

oh the cheeky monkey stuff is SO cute though.

Pumpkin Patch I found a huge disappointment. My DS3 is currently wearing clothes that DS1 and 2 wore (many of which were already hand-me-downs) - they're 8 and 5 (DS1 and 2). Even trousers - only had to throw a couple of pairs away in the last 8yrs when the knees went through/they faded too much. Nothing expensive - i n fact LOTS of cheap stuff in there.

Anyhow, splashed out last year on a pair of Pumpkin Patch jeans for DS1 and 2 - DS1's had a hole in the knee within about 8 months, and DS2's are going. This has happened with NONE of their other trousers - and they're worn no more often than others - in fact they were probably worn less as they were their "good" jeans.

MissSunny Tue 30-Jun-09 00:29:01

Message withdrawn

FAQinglovely Tue 30-Jun-09 00:33:52

well maybe I just got unlucky - but DS3's little rugby shirt i bought him faded as well.

£50 I spent in there on 3 items - and none are good enough to hand down/pass on to someone else.

Qally Tue 30-Jun-09 05:00:35

Oh God, welcome to the sartorial world of baby boys. It stinks, frankly - not just colours/logos, but try feeling how much softer the fabrics on baby girls' clothes are. Boys are born with thicker skin, apparently. hmm

You can buy newborns/small baby clothes second hand very easily, as they grow so fast they're rarely worn before being outgrown. Try Ebay for Katvig, Molo, Mini a Ture, PoP, Plastisock, Ida T, Boden. All bright, in soft natural fabrics, that wash really well.

After about 6 months IMO it's better to buy new - the oversupplies from gifts seems to slow down and the babies get more active, so their clothes suffer! Zara is a great place then - simple, bright colours in nice fabrics. H&M, too. And agree that The Hedgepif is brilliant at sale time.

Having said all that, DS mostly lived in M&S babygrows for the first 3 months - he was sick so often that it was easiest! And really they sleep so much that it just made sense to pop him in baby-pyjamas, for the comfort factor.

On another note - why can you buy gorgeous, floaty, thin cotton summer gear for baby girls, but boys just have thick cotton and drill trousers? Monsoon, Gap, they're all the same. Don't these places WANT us to spend any cash?!

HuffwardlyRudge Tue 30-Jun-09 06:04:27

Re Pumpkin Patch - does anyone else think their colours are always just slightly off? Once I noticed it, I find I can now identify a child in Pumpkin Patch at 500 paces.

Tambajam Tue 30-Jun-09 06:48:27

I bought a bunch of white vest and babygros from John Lewis and some red, bright yellow and green dylon washing machine dye. It looked great and was very cheap and the dye didn't leak in the wash.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now