Talk

Advanced search

to be annoyed with NHS Direct?

(12 Posts)
StealthPolarBear Mon 29-Jun-09 21:11:48

I called them about an hour ago as DS had cut himself and the bleeding didn't seem to be stopping. A pre-recorded message said "We are only dealing with urgent calls. If your call is urgent, please hold".
I thought they marketed themselves as being for non-urgent calls - to stop them going through to 999? In fact I clearly remember one of their adverts talking about "If you're off on your holidays and need to know which immunisations you require...". I think they need to decide exactly what sort of service they are!

MatNanPlus Mon 29-Jun-09 21:13:20

999 then Stealth

drowninginclutter Mon 29-Jun-09 21:15:56

I had this when I thought DS had something a bit like, but not quite, chickenpox. NHS direct had a recorded message wittering on about swine flu and then saying to leave a message if it was urgent??! hmm

I just took DS to the Dr as it was quicker and easier.

StealthPolarBear Mon 29-Jun-09 21:16:02

Bleeding has stopped now - it was around his nose so I think mixed in with the general snot, plus he kept touching it and rubbing it. Once he was having a feed it 'stopped' quite quickly. He just wouldn't let us clean it so we could see what was going on!
And it wasn't ever gushing, but I'd wipe it and then 20mins later there would be another line of blood iyswim.

Noonki Mon 29-Jun-09 21:16:22

swine flu is swamping them

StealthPolarBear Mon 29-Jun-09 21:16:45

oh is that what the urgent message is about?! Hadn't thought of that!

HalfMumHalfBiscuit Mon 29-Jun-09 21:16:54

Oh no. Try again or call 999. Has the bleeding stopped? Raise the area thats bleeding if you can and apply direct pressure with a clean absorbent material to the area.

Hope he is ok.

PricklyVelvet Mon 29-Jun-09 21:17:12

they are prob getting a ton of calls due to the excessive heat we have been having.. but you are right i though it was for non urgent calls

StealthPolarBear Mon 29-Jun-09 21:18:00

i think I'll let them off then - what with the general panic and people being told not to go to the GP if they think the have it, I can imagine they're overwhelmed at the moment. IABU

MatNanPlus Mon 29-Jun-09 21:18:00

Glad he is ok Stealth

HalfMumHalfBiscuit Mon 29-Jun-09 21:18:40

sounds like you have the situation under control now. They are being a bit rubbish though. I thought there was a dedicated swine flu hotline???

StealthPolarBear Mon 29-Jun-09 21:20:27

Thanks everyone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now