Talk

Advanced search

to insist dd stay in school and not go on trip

(70 Posts)
sarah293 Sun 28-Jun-09 19:10:05

Message withdrawn

Metella Sun 28-Jun-09 19:11:34

I think you are right Riven - I don't think she should go. Why make her miserable?

Tortington Sun 28-Jun-09 19:11:52

shouldn't she get support to enable her to go on these trips?

Thunderduck Sun 28-Jun-09 19:13:03

If you know that she won't enjoy it then there's no point in her going.

sarah293 Sun 28-Jun-09 19:14:16

Message withdrawn

cornsilk Sun 28-Jun-09 19:15:16

You know her best. Tell them to keep her in school.

ericcantonasbitontheside Sun 28-Jun-09 19:16:14

Just keep her at home

No point her being put through it if she wont like it

You know her best

sarah293 Sun 28-Jun-09 19:16:43

Message withdrawn

StealthPolarBear Sun 28-Jun-09 19:17:19

I can completely see your point, but how will she feel if she doesn't get to go?

ElenorRigby Sun 28-Jun-09 19:17:41

its your choice YANBU.

Disenchanted3 Sun 28-Jun-09 19:18:51

<<whispers>> Can't you go on the trip too?

Drive her there with her 1-1 yourself?

Then you can leave at any point?

It sounds fun

hocuspontas Sun 28-Jun-09 19:19:51

Would her one-to-one have been included in the adult/child ratio for the trip? Probably not, but I wonder if you have a contact no for her, to let her know tonight, then they could get someone to go in her place.

Tortington Sun 28-Jun-09 19:19:55

these trips are something that will occur with more frequency throughout school - perhaps you need to speak to them about a strategy for the long term.

cookielove Sun 28-Jun-09 19:20:16

Can you not ask her what she wants to do, she may have a melt down if she's her class leaving without her???

sarah293 Sun 28-Jun-09 19:21:40

Message withdrawn

StealthPolarBear Sun 28-Jun-09 19:23:11

"They hadn't even worked out how they were going to change her nappy with no hoist/disabled hanging area "
OK, changed my mind - don't let her go but definitely talk to them about the organisation of these trips soon!

sarah293 Sun 28-Jun-09 19:24:42

Message withdrawn

WriggleJiggle Sun 28-Jun-09 19:27:53

5 years old? Keep her at home - no point sending her on a trip if she's not going to get anything out of it because she's too hot and bothered and in melt down mode.

Oh, and I would refuse to collect her if it meant driving 40 miles. By the time they have decided to call you, you've left work, and driven there, they'll be ready to come home anyway.

TrinityRhino Sun 28-Jun-09 19:35:29

I'm not sure that some of you are aware of rivens dds needs

sarah293 Sun 28-Jun-09 19:37:23

Message withdrawn

lou031205 Sun 28-Jun-09 19:37:44

"she'll have her one to one as usual but when dd gets emotional it gets loud. She then stiffens and screams blue murder.
The school usually call me at that point to fetch her. If this happens 40 miles away it will be a nightmare."

Not exactly inclusion, is it?sad

I think you are doing the right thing, but it is sad that you have to.

KnickKnack Sun 28-Jun-09 19:41:39

I would send her to school, not to the trip. As others have said you know her/her needs best (the lack of fore-thought on appropriate changing facilities does not inspire confidence either)

The trip sounds like a fab family day out, or a school tour for older children. Its sounds like an exhausting, long, hot day out for a class of 5 yr olds, especially in this weather.

Alambil Sun 28-Jun-09 19:41:42

Riven, send her to school - she'll relax with the air con and I am sure she'll enjoy herself even though the others are out

Thunderduck Sun 28-Jun-09 19:42:03

I don't know what medication your dd takes, but a friend's 9 year old ds who has cp and has seizures takes a medication that has the side effect of considerably increasing his sensitivity to heat, and he'd be utterly miserable on that trip.
I'm miserable enough in the heat and I can move away from it, and find ways to keep myself cool, it sounds like it'd be a very unpleasant trip for your dd.

I'd definitely insist on keeping her in school.

Reallytired Sun 28-Jun-09 19:42:12

Often children with special needs get a lot out of trips even if they have quite major needs.

The school should have done a risk assement for her trip. Ideally a teacher will have visited the wildlife centre and sussed out where they are going to change her nappy.

I think it would be quite sad for her to be left out. She might be devestated if all her class are talking about this trip. If inclusion is real then she should be included in the trip.

Any chance of your DH going on the trip so that you dd gets 2 to 1 care. This would make the lack of a hoist less of a problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now