Talk

Advanced search

to think some schools take things too far part2!!!

(33 Posts)
lisad123 Sun 28-Jun-09 11:38:15

Well Im sure some of you might rememeber my post a few weeks back about school refusing to give permission for T to come out of school for a family holiday. Well as suggested I wrote to school and governors. On my return from holiday there was a letter from head teacher and governors, and head just repeating what she said, and governors are agreeing with her!! so much for them being there to help. The letter was in same print, and letter head as heads letter so you can guess who typed it!! angry

LadyPinkofPinkerton Sun 28-Jun-09 11:45:12

I just can not in any way get my head around them refusing.

It is just so awful angry and sad for you.

mamas12 Sun 28-Jun-09 11:52:07

How ridiculous. Well it's time to go over their head then (no pun intended)
Hope you had a fab time btw you deserve it.
Go to you lea and talk to them in person. Anyone with an ounce of common sense will see this for what it is.

Goblinchild Sun 28-Jun-09 11:52:16

You've done what you needed to, so take him.
Keep the paperwork, so that if the EWO gets involved, you can show how unreasonable the school was.

lisad123 Sun 28-Jun-09 11:52:51

oh well. went anyway but justba little angry that they made me feel some bad about it. They even gave one of the girls permission to go, for wedding!

Goblinchild Sun 28-Jun-09 11:53:33

The school can't stop you taking a holiday, he just gets written down as an unauthorised absence. Unless they are threatening not to hold his place for him?

lisad123 Sun 28-Jun-09 11:54:13

had a fab time, although Darren wasnt well at all for the first week and bit, so my relaxing wasnt done, but still nice lovely weather too

Goblinchild Sun 28-Jun-09 11:54:57

I'm glad that you went anyway, done and dusted as my grandmother used to say.
Don't waste any time fretting over it, you gave them the chance to behave like compassionate human beings and they failed.

StealthPolarBear Sun 28-Jun-09 11:55:21

Glad you had a good time.
Now you have it in writing, it's newspaper time!

HappyMummyOfOne Sun 28-Jun-09 13:51:58

Going to the newspapers is a little OTT. It wont help relations with the school and I presume the child will still have to attend unless she leaves this year.

Heads do have the right to say no to term time holidays based on guidelines set. They can make allowances but not for financial reasons or where attendance will fall under the percentages allowed etc.

The parents asking for time off for a wedding may have perfect attendance, be for less time etc so you cant really compare.

If you were happy with your decision to take a term time holiday then why feel bad.

Thunderduck Sun 28-Jun-09 13:54:10

Lisa had a far more pressing reason for going than even a wedding, to refuse under those circumstances is incredibly cruel.

StewieGriffinsMom Sun 28-Jun-09 14:01:27

Message withdrawn

FAQinglovely Sun 28-Jun-09 14:17:57

Happy - I am "anti" holidays in school time - however as SGM say there is a back story to this which I am absolutely shock and angry that the school are failing to take account of.

If it was up to me (with my views on it) I'd have been sending them off for an extra week.

FAQinglovely Sun 28-Jun-09 14:21:20

the original thread (for those that think don't know it and think this is a simple holiday in school time thread)

Bucharest Sun 28-Jun-09 14:26:51

Lisa, pfffft to school, but hope that you and your family managed to enjoy your much needed holiday anyway.
I'd contact the LEA and my local MP. (mine has just been brilliant with me and really made me have faith in the system again) x

lisad123 Sun 28-Jun-09 14:27:24

Thanks, dont think i will go to the papers to be honest, bit OTT, especially when I trying to get the SENCO to support me with DD1 as well. She has another 2 years there, so want to keep things as cival as possible. Was just surprised as so many seemed so sure the governors would support me

StewieGriffinsMom Sun 28-Jun-09 14:43:22

Message withdrawn

mowbraygirl Sun 28-Jun-09 16:43:32

I have just been speaking to the person whose house I look after she is SENCO at our local Comprehensive school. Couldn't believe what the HT and Governors reaction was said is she human? Her suggestion is write to LEA just setting out facts about your husband and holiday funded by Macmillan etc. enclose phtotcopy of HT and Governors letters keep a copy of your letter as well for your records. I am glad you were able to go away as a family for a much deserved break.

lisad123 Sun 28-Jun-09 16:47:39

LOL @ are they human, I think they may be aliens or blood sucking vamps

3littlefrogs Sun 28-Jun-09 16:55:51

I read your original thread, lisa, and I am appalled at the head's attitude. Do you think she told the governers why you needed the holiday? Do you think the governers got your letter? (I seem to recall you delivered it via the school).

lisad123 Sun 28-Jun-09 17:06:23

i know they know what the request was for as they hoped "dh had a quick recovery" and also quoted they didnt feel the head was "harsh" in her decision hmm

piscesmoon Sun 28-Jun-09 17:17:35

At least you had your holiday. I can't believe the unfeeling attitude. I would be tempted to go to the local paper-except that I am quite a shy person and wouldn't like to be in the public eye. You could write to the LEA.

ThingOne Sun 28-Jun-09 17:25:51

Bugger them. Glad you had a good time.

katiestar Mon 29-Jun-09 00:13:35

My DS1's grammar school now have a blanket policy of not authorising ANY family holidays in termtime.They do however send an accompanying letter to say that although they have not authorised it, they do understand your reasons and just ask that the student tries to catch up on missed work as quickly as possible.i think this is a good compromise.
The primary school seems to have a strange policy of not replying to requests for holiday so you don't know whether they have authorised them or not.

nappyaddict Mon 29-Jun-09 01:41:28

Definitely write to LEA.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now