Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed with the obsession for 'pink for girls'

(45 Posts)
trickerg Sun 28-Jun-09 00:17:29

Saw rows and rows and rows of pink girls' clothes in Asda today. I thought this was age of equality and equal opportunity? Are we dividing the sexes more and more?

RumourOfAHurricane Sun 28-Jun-09 00:25:29

Message withdrawn

plonker Sun 28-Jun-09 00:25:51

It's not as much the clothes that piss me off (although it does, what's wrong with bright reds, greens, blues?! ...) as the toys and nursery accessories.

Everything is either pink or blue - why?!?!?!

I have 3 girls and I swear, I'm all pink-ed out angry

I buy the blue's now just for something different, but then I get an ear-bashing off older dd's who want dd3 to have a pink potty, a pink toy phone, a pink till ...

<sigh>

plonker Sun 28-Jun-09 00:27:14

Jeez shineon - have we stumbled across another subject that should-not-be-mentioned ...?

claraquack Sun 28-Jun-09 00:27:42

it's either pink or blue because if you have children of different sexes you have to buy two of everything. Clever marketing ploy. I am too totally fed up with the whole pink thing, especially as I have two tom-boys who don't even like dresses let alone pink frilly dresses!

DidEinsteinsMum Sun 28-Jun-09 00:28:37

Why pink for girls its yucky - blue better but then again i am apparently not a proper girl i do thinks like electrical wiring and diy and car mechanics. Besides pink shows the dirt so much - definetly not good for tree climbing wink

RumourOfAHurricane Sun 28-Jun-09 00:33:11

Message withdrawn

plonker Sun 28-Jun-09 00:33:35

You have a very valid point there claraquack

plonker Sun 28-Jun-09 00:34:28

Yes, I'm guessing you think it suits me ...?

Wonderstuff Sun 28-Jun-09 00:35:20

YANBU it drives me mad. I was reminising about my childhood toys recently and none of them were pink. I don't remember ever having a pink sparkly obcession. Bloody disney princess stuff drives me mad, surely we don't want our daughters to aspire to be princesses really? My mum was saying how in the 70's and 80's it was all gender neutral.

My dd is not yet 2 so we have managed to avoid the pink so far (it is possible), but my niece is obcessed. She had a princesses themed birthday party last year (she was 5) Whats that all about?

Did you know in the 1920's it was pink for a boy and blue for a girl?

RumourOfAHurricane Sun 28-Jun-09 00:35:31

Message withdrawn

trickerg Sun 28-Jun-09 00:36:46

Sorry to be repetitive plonker - new to this forum. What can be done about it? Where will it all end? Does it mean women are becoming stereotyped bimbos dressed in pink?

marenmj Sun 28-Jun-09 00:38:02

I would love to dress my 6 mo old in non-pink stuff. I picked up a bunch of reasonably-priced, non-pink-but-still-girly things last time I was in the States (Wal-Mart, shocker that Asda doesn't have it too), but she is growing out of them all sad.

Now I just put up with the pink as an alternative to spending loads on baby clothes or smiling through "oh, what a gorgeous little boy!!"

Soon as she's got some hair on her for a hairbow she will get to wear all the camo I can find! grin

RumourOfAHurricane Sun 28-Jun-09 00:39:04

Message withdrawn

plonker Sun 28-Jun-09 00:39:06

I don't know shineon, I have a shite memory

grin at 'mildy amusing' though ...

I take it you're a floyd fan?

plonker Sun 28-Jun-09 00:41:28

I didn't know you were being repetitive trickerg ...

Wonderstuff Sun 28-Jun-09 00:42:01

Next and Pumpkin Patch and H&M good for non-pink clothes.

RumourOfAHurricane Sun 28-Jun-09 00:42:40

Message withdrawn

trickerg Sun 28-Jun-09 00:46:14

Apparently this has been mentioned before!!!

How can women hope to be seen as equal to men if 80% of them are dressed in pink????!!! Pink is a colour that separates the genders.

Also the pink books about fairies....uggh

plonker Sun 28-Jun-09 00:48:06

Ahh you see, I like a bit of pink floyd - takes me back to my carefree days [wistful]

Might see you over there shiney ...always good to talk shite ...

RumourOfAHurricane Sun 28-Jun-09 00:50:55

Message withdrawn

plonker Sun 28-Jun-09 00:50:55

...I should point out that I'm deathly dull though ...don't want to disappoint ... wink

RumourOfAHurricane Sun 28-Jun-09 00:52:05

Message withdrawn

plonker Sun 28-Jun-09 00:53:19

<tries to back swiftly out of room>

RumourOfAHurricane Sun 28-Jun-09 00:57:33

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now