Talk

Advanced search

to think sex education in school needs updating?

(12 Posts)
EccentricaGallumbits Sat 27-Jun-09 16:36:07

DD was most put out that when discussing sanitary protection they only talked about tampons and pads not mooncups.

The video of the birth they were shown was of a woman in a hospital lying on her back.

Overall DD wanted to know why they had to be told all that stuff because it is so disgusting she's never going to do any of it anyway.

Shall I pen a letter to the governors?

mumblecrumble Sat 27-Jun-09 16:40:58

Yes. You should.

Mooncups rock!

BoffinMum Sat 27-Jun-09 16:54:43

I offered to DS (11) to pop into his year 6 classroom to talk about the politics of bf and do a bit of a demo with his baby brother, and his jaw dropped with shock.

Might use that as a threat to get him to tidy his room.

MoChan Sat 27-Jun-09 16:55:24

Lying on her back? Given that pretty any other position is recommended above that one, I think that still depicting it as a norm is actually very poor. Definitely write...

EccentricaGallumbits Sat 27-Jun-09 16:57:15

brilliant boffin.

social conditioning.

Dd2 was horrified when I offered my services for a lesson in contraception grin

CallMeMalcolm Sat 27-Jun-09 16:59:31

Id pen a letter to the teacher first.

JulesJules Sat 27-Jun-09 17:01:31

That must have been the same video I had at my NHS antenatal classes. Poor woman on her back had a 60s hairdo and the cylinder of entonox ran out...

BoffinMum Sun 28-Jun-09 21:36:31

DS1 is due to see a birth video tomorrow and I am wondering if it will be the same one ... I have instructed him to mention he was the result of a home water birth and that most women choose an upright position for giving birth ... watch this space!! grin

MissSunny Mon 29-Jun-09 00:20:50

Message withdrawn

BoffinMum Mon 29-Jun-09 21:20:06

I gave birth to DD keeling up in hospital. I only know one person who gave birth in hospital flat on her back, and she was having ventouse.

BonsoirAnna Mon 29-Jun-09 21:21:41

YANBU!

BoffinMum Wed 01-Jul-09 23:11:06

Well, DS1 has now graduated from the Year 6 Sex Ed course.

They have not been told how babies are made.

The birth video was cancelled.

They do know to expect extra hair and wet dreams - it was all in a tasteful NHS leaflet he read with great interest.

I offered to send in photos of me in the birthing pool having his brother but strangely this was declined.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now