Talk

Advanced search

to be really annoyed by this - yes I am but no more silly than the "tescos" issue

(49 Posts)
vezzie Sat 27-Jun-09 00:02:19

I cannot bear it when a certain kind of person uses a horrible stylised very English "European" pronunciation of a single randomly isolated sound within a borrowed word

EG people who say "resterONG" in the most utterly English accent - either say "restront" like it's a normal English word (which it is) or use a proper French accent (which you can't because you are so posh and xenophobic your hearing is atrophied when it comes to picking up or reproducing linguistic nuances).

Similarly, "conchairto". Either say it in English or Italian, don't stick a random vowel in the middle of the word like greasy sundried tomatoes in a limp-lettuce-and-boiled-egg salad that are somehow supposed to make the whole thing magically Tuscan, or something.

That is all.

RambleOn Sat 27-Jun-09 00:25:32

Par don? grin

MadameDefarge Sat 27-Jun-09 00:28:01

eh?hmm

not feelng very inclusive of variety in the English language tonight, are we?

onebatmother Sat 27-Jun-09 00:28:31

snigger at your brio, esp the sundried/lettuce/egg combo.

lol at conchairto which is indeed vile.
My personal favourite is dooble ontonder..

but, a propos of resterong, au contraire - that's just wrong, surely? More like restauron with a quiet n?

DollyPardonme Sat 27-Jun-09 00:28:57

ee-ueyoi-eh?

Pardong moi de la spiking.

Scorpette Sat 27-Jun-09 00:36:43

Erm, you are very misguided. Restaurant is a FRENCH word, not an English one (although I presume you mean that it has become totally anglicised) and 'restront' is the wrong pronunciation in both English AND French! There are 3 syllables in there: 'Resterornt' with an English accent, 'rrresterauhn' with a French one. Pronouncing it 'resterornt' or 'resterong', as you spell it, is actually a much more correct and standard pronunciation than 'restront'.

And many Italians pronounce concerto as 'concheeairtow' or 'consheeairtow'.

Sorry, but you've dropped a clanger on this one.

Nahui Sat 27-Jun-09 00:37:33

Message withdrawn

DollyPardonme Sat 27-Jun-09 00:38:41

tres seriouse, n'est-pas, Scorpet?

MadameDefarge Sat 27-Jun-09 00:38:56

well said, scorpette.

MadameDefarge Sat 27-Jun-09 00:40:36

moi, I find it most annoying when zeez Eeenglish pense zat zey own the beoootiful words us French gave to you....tiens! ca m'en fiche!

DollyPardonme Sat 27-Jun-09 00:42:51

ok then enjoy "le weekend", MDF

MadameDefarge Sat 27-Jun-09 00:46:14

I am with the Acadamie Francaise on this one, Mme Dolly, the bastardisation of the La Langue Francaise with these excrable anglicisms... sacre bleu!

<<gallic shudder, reaches for a decent champagne>>

bumsrush Sat 27-Jun-09 00:46:52

Oh weel I annoyingly pronounce random pastas in an Italian accent.

MadameDefarge Sat 27-Jun-09 00:48:57

<<eyes bumsrush with interest>>

That is only polite, in my book!

bumsrush Sat 27-Jun-09 00:52:16

I can't say tortelloni in a scottish accent grin.

Nahui Sat 27-Jun-09 00:53:30

Message withdrawn

MadameDefarge Sat 27-Jun-09 00:54:21

I was brought up to speak French with a Belfast accent. My mother had a warped sense of humour. Joke is, I can still do it, but can't speak English like that anymore!

MadameDefarge Sat 27-Jun-09 00:55:54

I do believe that the scots accent and the french and italian accents have many cadences in common

<<wonders over to sniff summer roses in chiffon tea gown>>

DollyPardonme Sat 27-Jun-09 00:56:01

grin

oh, quelle 'orreur.

bumsrush Sat 27-Jun-09 00:56:40

And they all love us scots ;P

MadameDefarge Sat 27-Jun-09 00:56:43

ahem, wanders, even

<<blames cosmopolitan upbringing>>

MadameDefarge Sat 27-Jun-09 01:00:05

has the OP deserted this fascinating debate on European language usage?

<<tsk tsk>>

Scorpette Sat 27-Jun-09 01:51:12

Dolly Pardonne, I am, 'ow you say... 'ze massive pedant'.

I restrained myself earlier today when I was in a supermarket I've never been to before and I asked if they had any tortillas (tor-teeyas). The girl replied, 'it's pronounced TOR-tiller' (like 'door killer'), in a voice that clearly indicated she thought I was a cretin. SIGH!

MIFLAW Sat 27-Jun-09 02:01:06

Personally I hate people who say restauranteur.

It's restaurateur - "celui qui restaure (et dont le service est restaurant)".

Or you could just stop being a ponce and say "restaurant owner" like normal people do.

MIFLAW's rule #1 - if you're going to be a ponce, at least get it right.

MIFLAW Sat 27-Jun-09 02:03:38

FWIW I agree with the OP and think (s)he has been misjudged.

I think she's saying, either go for it and get the accent right or stick to your normal English accent - don't hedge your bets.

I am only just getting over the urge to stab people who ask for a lartay in Caffe Nero.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now