Talk

Advanced search

to be shocked that my friend's nursery staff have been sent to elocution lessons?

(77 Posts)
deaconblue Fri 26-Jun-09 22:06:32

She and other mothers have apparently complained that their children are not speaking "properly" and so the nursery have sent the nursery nurses to elocution lessons. Am amazed first of all that the parents have complained and secondly that the nursery hasn't just dismissed it as snobbishness.

FairyMum Fri 26-Jun-09 22:11:01

Why is it snobbishness? Of course people who work with children should speak properly.

deaconblue Fri 26-Jun-09 22:17:09

but what's wrong with having a regional accent?

duchesse Fri 26-Jun-09 22:29:39

There's nothing wrong with regional- it's glaring grammatical errors that children pick up on that bother many people- such as "we done" or "we was". I think it's perfectly reasonable and may actually make these young women far more employable, frankly.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Fri 26-Jun-09 22:31:34

If it is because of the local accent, not a good thing imo. but if it is to correct poor speaking skills, grammar, pronunciation etc, then why on earth not. I would love to have some elocution lessons!

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Fri 26-Jun-09 22:32:10

or, wot duchesse sed. grin

fattybumbum Fri 26-Jun-09 22:32:57

Elocution = accent (= snobbery + prejudice)
English lessons = grammar (= perfectly correct in the circumstances)

hf128219 Fri 26-Jun-09 22:39:25

Elocution is exactly that - dimwit! grin

GrimmaTheNome Fri 26-Jun-09 22:40:37

fattybums definition isn't correct nowadays.

My DDs school does elocution lessons. Its about speaking clearly and confidently. Its certainly not about removing local accents - we're in lancashire, and thekids speak up beautifully, and mostly grammatically, with distinct lancashire accents, I'm glad to say! (unfortunately I was raised in Essex and my DD has picked something like that up from me. I wish they would work on her misplaced accent grin)

fattybumbum Fri 26-Jun-09 22:42:36

Sorry. I am old. In my day elocution was learning to lose your regional accent.

GrimmaTheNome Fri 26-Jun-09 22:51:10

Whereas now, if you want to work as an actor or presenter, the ability to speak English properly but in a regional accent is almost de rigeur.

cthea Fri 26-Jun-09 22:52:04

I am surprised they found elocution lessons, were willing to pay for them and gave staff time off to attend them. It doesn't sound quite credible to me.

laloue Fri 26-Jun-09 22:57:40

I'm 36, elocution to me means losing your regional accent in my case worcs which can be anything from brummie to somersetish...only know because it was drilled out of me at 11 when i won i scholarship to a posh private school from a working class home. They taught me the good grammar in different lessons.

blueshoes Fri 26-Jun-09 23:06:57

What a great nursery.

Parents do notice children picking up the language 'peculiarities' of nursery staff. The issue is usually rectified by attending school, as teachers tend to speak more properly than nursery staff. But so much the better if nursery staff could speak well - it can only be good for them and the children.

Yurtgirl Fri 26-Jun-09 23:12:58

I watched an episode of Supernanny this evening.
I would quite like to send Jo Frost (aka supernanny) to elocution lessons

"Yor behaviour is unacetable!" shock

Speak properly woman!

lockets Fri 26-Jun-09 23:19:59

Message withdrawn

nametaken Fri 26-Jun-09 23:24:52

YABU - as long as they are not sending staff for lessons at this place then its ok

elocution lessons

nbee84 Fri 26-Jun-09 23:26:22

Yurtgirl - every time she says 'unacceptable'it makes me cringe too

Yurtgirl Fri 26-Jun-09 23:33:15

nebee84 - I can of course spell 'your' and 'unacceptable' but was trying to accurately type what she says!!!!!!

I love the programme though cos I always feel so entirely smug that my kids are tricky sometimes but are angels compared to those featured

Shoppingbags - Sorry for rude interruption to thread!

blueshoes Fri 26-Jun-09 23:45:03

Staff training is an employment benefit. Lockets, not sure why you are linking it with turnover.

idontbelieveit Fri 26-Jun-09 23:51:14

YABU, correct speach has a huge impact on writing/reading skills for children later on. It is important that nursery staff have clear diction and nothing to do with accents at all.

lockets Sat 27-Jun-09 00:01:26

Message withdrawn

kitkatqueen Sat 27-Jun-09 00:04:14

My dd came home from nursery the other day with a note saying she had "drawed" a lovely picture - I wanted to mark it with a red pen and send it back!

morocco Sat 27-Jun-09 00:05:22

certainly can't have posh children speaking with working class dialects - good grief no - look where that got that nice Lily Allen grin

Seabright Sat 27-Jun-09 00:11:36

Sounds marvellous. I hate badly spoken English.

I have no problem with genuine regional accents (I have one, and I have a much stronger one when drunk blush), but too often they're used as an excuse for badly spoken English (I personally don't consider Estuary English to be a regional accent, for exampl)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now