Talk

Advanced search

to be very worried that my 10yr ds has told me 1 of new friends has a pocket knife

(29 Posts)
pinklady5 Fri 26-Jun-09 19:41:43

ds 10 has recently started to play with kids that have recently moved in2 our area ,
the kids are VERY ROUGH , we live in a nice a area but these kids are running around in their bare feet , the kids are travellers ,
yet they are renting a house in my area , i am worried coz my ds thinks they are very cool, yet told me at dinner tonight that 1 of the kids has a pocket knife shock
AIBU to ban ds from playing with them ?

thisisyesterday Fri 26-Jun-09 19:43:41

hmm

my kids run around in bare feet. doesn't make them rough!
and if they're renting a house then they aren't travellers.

PeachyTheRiverParrettHarlot Fri 26-Jun-09 19:45:37

The only concerning thing in the OP is a pocket knife.

i would and did ban DS1 from laying with a child who carries a blade (couldnt eprsuade Head to take ds1's concerns seriously)

The rest is irrelevant

IotasCat Fri 26-Jun-09 19:46:40

how big a knife?

I had a small penknife when I was 10 (Girl Guide)

pinklady5 Fri 26-Jun-09 19:47:05

had a feeling i might be taken up wrong blush the kids told me themselves that they are travellers , that doesn't bother me as kids are kids but im worried about them having pocket knifes ,

junglist1 Fri 26-Jun-09 19:48:59

Travellers do live in houses. My godsons an Irish traveller, and they move from house to house a lot!

thisisyesterday Fri 26-Jun-09 19:49:16

well, i had swiss army knife from around the age of 8!
i don't htink that having a knife is necessarily something to worry about- would depend on the child tbh

cory Fri 26-Jun-09 19:52:26

it depends on the context of having a knife

I carried a knife around with me all the time as a youngster, but for whittling purposes and because I rather fancied myself as a wild wood-dwelling sort of character

wouldn't have dreamt of using it for purposes of defence

but if the lad feels threatened at school and might use it, that is of course a different matter

PeachyTheRiverParrettHarlot Fri 26-Jun-09 19:57:26

Valid point about purpose of knife

Kid in ds1 sitat said it was for salshing someones leg off (someone being the year bully)

This OTOH might be for trimming woggles or somesuch

I'dstill be wary though, play with caution

gerontius Fri 26-Jun-09 19:59:48

Peachy:
i would and did ban DS1 from laying with a child who carries a blade

grin

gerontius Fri 26-Jun-09 19:59:48

Peachy:
i would and did ban DS1 from laying with a child who carries a blade

grin

Morloth Fri 26-Jun-09 20:00:32

I used to have one of those really cool swiss knife things when I was a kid. I still have it around here somewhere.

IotasCat Fri 26-Jun-09 20:03:50

I still carry a swiss army knife and I'm a respectable middle-aged laydee

PeachyTheRiverParrettHarlot Fri 26-Jun-09 20:04:04

gerontius- I spotted that after I posted- PMSL

mind, its doubly worse a I was reading OT texts earlier to find something (plenty of laying with in there LOL)

Apaprenlty my dad knew from the way his coat haung that my Ex carried a gun shock but decided each to their own hmm (it turned out to be a replica but still why would you not say something? call the police? FFS)

Morloth Fri 26-Jun-09 20:07:01

I should find mine, there have been times when it would have been really useful. DH has a mini one on his keys. Very handy indeed. Though I have a tiny torch on mine which is also quite good.

5Foot5 Fri 26-Jun-09 20:44:42

IOtascat: me too! I have had it for years. best Christmas present DH every got me.

IotasCat Fri 26-Jun-09 20:58:35

5foot5: and spookily I am 5'5" too

mamas12 Fri 26-Jun-09 20:59:35

Why don't invite said kids around for tea one day and see for yourself what they are like?

OrmIrian Fri 26-Jun-09 21:00:12

DB had a pocket knife from the age of about 7 i think.

I don't see it as a problem per se,

pinklady5 Fri 26-Jun-09 21:06:29

thanks , im feeling a little less worried although shocked as to how many kids seem to carry knifes of any sort around ,
i have met these kids & they are nice kids , i walked to the local shop with them all yesterday & bought them all ice-creams , just shocked at ds telling me that 1 of them carries a knife around , worried if the child ever got in2 a row with any other kid would he use the knife

maryz Fri 26-Jun-09 22:43:55

ds2 has had a penknife since he was 8 - does a lot of whittling, cutting wood for imaginary fires, etc. But the big difference is that he is not allowed to take it out of our garden.

IMO there is a big difference in a child having a knife to play with and a child carrying a knife on the street, into other peoples' gardens, or into school. That shouldn't be OK.

MamaG Fri 26-Jun-09 22:45:12

me and my kids nearly always have bare feet in house and garden. If I go see mate up street, I often go barefoot and i am NOT rough.

MamaG Fri 26-Jun-09 22:46:49

I do have a teeny SAK on my keyring though

pickyvic Fri 26-Jun-09 22:55:49

in my capacity as a copper i can say that some travelling families do rent houses.

and yes id be worried about anyone carrying a knife - statistics show that even carrying a knife makes you more liable to be a victim of knife crime. so YANBU.

pinklady5 Sat 27-Jun-09 10:30:10

thanks pickvic , kind of sorry i started this discussion to be honest , we feel very uncomfortable knowing this child is carrying a knife of any sort around with him , he is far to young IMO to be responsible enough not to use it in an argument , how my ds became aware that the child has this knife in the 1st place is when the child had a row with another kid in the playground & showed my ds the pocket knife , my ds seemed uneasy & came home & told us straight away ,
knife crime is SO common these days that it is a very serious concern for us .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now