Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to want to switch the telly off and not turn it back on for at least a month?

(13 Posts)
pickyvic Fri 26-Jun-09 12:43:41

I for one am already sick of the media frenzy that is the death of MJ.

Regardless of whether or not you liked or loathed him, it is all that is going to be one the TV for the next god knows how long. picking him apart, dissecting every grisly aspect of his life, speaking to his "friends" (or people that met him once in their lives as the case may be) looking at the footage that people took on their mobile phones into the ambulance while he was being worked on by the paramedics...

I feel really sorry for his family and his children but I hate the way the media swoops in and makes it news for far far too long. Ive lost many loved ones and I would hate it to be in my face 24/7.

So I think i'm going to turn off the TV for the next month or so....anyone with me?

Nancy66 Fri 26-Jun-09 12:45:27

a month is a bit OTT - give it a week.

roulade Fri 26-Jun-09 12:45:28

Definitely, you would think there was nothing else going on in the world today, it's just back to back MJ.

PeachyTheRiverParrettHarlot Fri 26-Jun-09 12:47:19

yanbu

which is why we have the off buttons and DVD rental

choice for all

pickyvic Fri 26-Jun-09 12:55:51

yep its going off because if i have to listen to Yuri Geller anymore i am gonna scream...

im off for a run with my ipod!

mumoverseas Fri 26-Jun-09 12:57:34

oh, I thought it was going to be about Wimbledon!
agree with Nancy, give it a week or two

LadyOfWaffle Fri 26-Jun-09 12:58:51

Do it then and don't start another thread about it. You are just adding to it all... hmm

pickyvic Fri 26-Jun-09 13:01:34

now i can live with wimbledon...its only on one or two channels and if you really want to you can avoid it. the MJ stuff is everywhere, every channel and while i do think its news i find the endless poring over everything he ever did/said and speaking to every nomark who ever had any contact with him no matter how tenuous complete overkill and tasteless.

sarah293 Fri 26-Jun-09 13:04:49

Message withdrawn

pickyvic Fri 26-Jun-09 13:05:37

ladyofwaffle i take your point, but i was talking more generally about the media. it was the same with Jade Goody and when Diana died. i find it wearing.
but telly is off and i really am going for my run now....might feel better afterwards and telly can stop off.

southeastastra Fri 26-Jun-09 13:07:13

i've found it quite easy to avoid, but then again, it's quite shocking and he has only just died.

LadyOfWaffle Fri 26-Jun-09 13:14:47

Sorry I was snappy... I am just shocked at the amount of negative threads, but WRT the media coverage it is very early on - alot of people are still just finding out about it. In a few days I am sure it'll calm down, once the post mortem results are out.

mumoverseas Fri 26-Jun-09 13:33:23

I only found out about it on another thread on chat! Guess I should watch the tv more rather than spending all my time Mning?hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now