Talk

Advanced search

To be increasingly annoyed about the amount of MN's who feel it is OK to correct one's spelling and grammar

(269 Posts)
whocaresaboutyourintellect Fri 26-Jun-09 09:15:57

I am getting really fed up of it.

Someone will post a topic and then you get some "up you own backside" MN'er who takes it upon themselves to correct all of the grammar and spelling in said post.

This happens in particular in threads of a contraversial nature as a means of embarrasing the OP. It is ridiculous.

This is a talk forum, not an English exam so to all those MN'ers........get a life!!!!

EugeneHCrabs Fri 26-Jun-09 09:16:34

oh no
SANDLES
irks me
oh fgs learn to spell

MamaLazarou Fri 26-Jun-09 09:17:33

I have only been a MN member for a couple of weeks, but have not noticed any of this. There is far less of it than on other talkboards.

thumbwitch Fri 26-Jun-09 09:18:00

YABU.

thumbwitch Fri 26-Jun-09 09:18:23

and it's contrOversial wink

Frasersmum123 Fri 26-Jun-09 09:19:19

I can imagine your post will be picked apart

MamaLazarou Fri 26-Jun-09 09:19:44

The only mis-spelling that really bothers me is 'DEFINATELY'. Why do so many people get this one wrong? It's easy to remember if you just keep in mind that the word 'definitely' should contain the word 'finite'.

SpawnChorus Fri 26-Jun-09 09:20:11

and "embarrasSing"

mrsruffallo Fri 26-Jun-09 09:21:01

'There' children, for example, annoys me.
So does loose for lose, there's a lot of that

Sometimes I make mistakes and haven't been corrected yet!

dollius Fri 26-Jun-09 09:21:08

ONES spelling, not one's spelling

[tee hee]

EyeballsandherSunburntNorks Fri 26-Jun-09 09:21:10

Fed up with it, surely?

thumbwitch Fri 26-Jun-09 09:21:13

no, the worst one is "loose" for "lose" - WHY do so many people get that wrong?

VelvetCushions Fri 26-Jun-09 09:21:29

I find it annoying too.
I've got a good education, can spell and work as a proofreader for part of my job,so correct spelling mistakes.
When I'm on here, I type quickly, am often distracted and don't really give a damn if I'm grammatically correct or have spell checked or reread my post. There are often spelling mistakes in them and I don't really care.

Yanbu

Sheeta Fri 26-Jun-09 09:21:43

fed up with it.

wink

and embarrassing.

snigger Fri 26-Jun-09 09:21:52

YABU.

It's like an educational outreach project.

I say this because no-one's done it to my posts yet, of course. Ask again after.

<I do have to warn you though, you've probably lit the touchpaper with that apostrophe in your thread title>

Sheeta Fri 26-Jun-09 09:22:06

damn, you beat me to it! grin

snigger Fri 26-Jun-09 09:22:37

ROFL. Vituperative? Us?

alicecrail Fri 26-Jun-09 09:22:56

I don't know about anyone else, but i seem to get Mumsnet Dyslexia. When writing on paper (you know, with an actual pen) my spelling is fine, but when i'm typing, i often find that words don't look right on the screen iyswim?

KingRolo Fri 26-Jun-09 09:24:15

I like the fact that most posters on MN have a reasonable grasp of English grammar and spelling and employ a wide and varied vocabulary. It's what makes MN different from other forums.

However, I don't like it when people highlight mistakes in order to embarrass the OP. It's unnecessary and bitchy.

EyeballsandherSunburntNorks Fri 26-Jun-09 09:24:28

mrsruffallo Fri 26-Jun-09 09:25:03

I don't know, thumbwitch. I see loose for lose more often than not on here.

mrsruffallo Fri 26-Jun-09 09:25:24

I don't know, thumbwitch. I see loose for lose more often than not on here.

chevre Fri 26-Jun-09 09:25:56

yes it is annoying, they are obviously passive aggressive toxic posters and should be eliminated.

they have their pedants corner and they should stay there.

Legacy Fri 26-Jun-09 09:26:03

No, YABU - it's impossible to take someone seriously if they can't spell, or are grammatically-challenged... hmm

We like to maintain a certain <ahem> standard around here you know... no tickers, and proper English please...

BTW...

(In the title): the amount of MNs
and
"up your own backside"
and
embarrassing

P.S. Use of multiple exclamation marks is generally felt to be common, so please desist....

southeastastra Fri 26-Jun-09 09:26:35

who does it though? i've never had anyone correct mine (and i post alot)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now