Talk

Advanced search

to think the Rotary eople are lovely?

(16 Posts)
PeachyTheRiverParrettHarlot Thu 25-Jun-09 19:29:57

I can never thank them in person as I do not know them

but DS3 had a lovely time at their expense, visitng the seaside and coming abck with numerous toys and was spoiled rotten

Apaprently almost all if not all SNUs in our city were taken (about a fortnight ago- sorry, kept meaning to post)

if you are invovled with them at all- thanks.

2shoes Thu 25-Jun-09 21:08:39

yanbu pretty sure they helped dd once

tummytickler Thu 25-Jun-09 21:19:52

I love the Rotary people - when dh adn i were both at university and struggling financially (and with 2 young children) they sent us £50 in Waitrose vouchers at Christmas time - and that really did make a difference to us - we were broke that year - we were so chuffed.
I always stick a £5 in their collection box now.

Peachy - i am glad your ds had a brilliant time - they really are wonderful!

dilemma456 Thu 25-Jun-09 21:25:19

Message withdrawn

Frasersmum123 Thu 25-Jun-09 21:27:09

YANBU - ours runs a Santa sleigh too at Christmas and I have heard lots of other good things that they have done.

PeachyTheRiverParrettHarlot Thu 25-Jun-09 21:56:11

DS3 did enjoy himself so much- he's been looking at pics of Barry isalnd all evening LOL, insists we should go there on holiday (obv not but an for days)

It's not been the best of eyars so far and obviously that affects the boys somewhat however much we try to protect them, so it's things like this that make you grin

snice Thu 25-Jun-09 21:58:02

The Rotary club runs cycling proficiency at our local primary school which is very worthwhile I think

jetcat32 Thu 25-Jun-09 21:59:19

oooh, can i share my little (though very ancient) piece of rotary club gossip with you all??

PeachyTheRiverParrettHarlot Fri 26-Jun-09 09:10:27

feel free Jet

weegiemum Fri 26-Jun-09 09:15:22

When I was 23 - and about to be a PGCE student - the Rotary Club in my town gave me £200 towards the cost of me going on a study tour in Central America.

I went and did a presentation to them afterwards. It totally defined my life and plans for the future.

They are great.

In my home town they lay on the fireworks display on 5th Nov every year - its a very good night out!

Bucharest Fri 26-Jun-09 09:15:31

YANBU Peachy, they are lovely, glad your ds enjoyed it...

I once acted as telephone go-between for a doctor rotarian here in Italy whose "branch" of the rotary was buying and shipping squillions of pounds worth of medical machinery to a hospital in Kenya. smile

EugeneHCrabs Fri 26-Jun-09 09:15:49

I thought you meant the watches

bramblebooks Fri 26-Jun-09 09:17:10

This is so good to see. My dad is disabled himself and has been a lifelong member of Rotary. Mum is president of her branch of the women's version next year. Both of them have participated in raising untold amounts of money for charities - mum's charity is juvenile diabetes research foundation.

They also take good care of people all over the world. When dad was ill in America, the local Rotary branch president turned up at the hospital, helped take care of mum and was prepared to arrange accomodation for mum should she have to stay on if he was kept in hospital longer.

So glad to hear of people having such a good time.

Wilts Fri 26-Jun-09 09:22:50

They have also just done this in our town.
I know someone who works at one of our local special needs schools and they always have a fab time out with the Rotary.

She said they never forget a thing, there is a lot of thought put into the outings. For example this year they had brought along all the staff and children those plastic poncho things to wear as it was raining.

They also do a great firework display here which is always a bargain price

donkeyderby Fri 26-Jun-09 09:39:14

You have reminded me to send them a thank you for arranging for ds and his SN school to go to Chessington. Yes, they do seem to do lots of good things for people.

What happens when this lot die off and the next generation of Me me me-ers get to Rotary age? Will the Rotary club go on? They are probably unfashionable but they are good on practical help which is all that counts really

GetOrfMoiLand Fri 26-Jun-09 09:45:48

I loved the Rotary Club when I was a kid at school. They organised a UK wide public speaking event for school kids, the team I was in won our heat, and they all took us gauche and geeky 15 year old out for a slap up lunch. I remembert them as being very kindly and friendly men.smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now