Talk

Advanced search

To put my washing machine on delay so the cycle ends just before we get up?

(22 Posts)
ginormoboobs Thu 25-Jun-09 14:54:45

Sorry , this is a boring AIBU grin
I set the timer on my machine so a cycle starts at around 4am. Sometimes I put a nappy wash on at midnight a and empty it in the morningblush
I like to be able to hang my washing up as early as possible so I can get the 2 loads dry in one day.
We use cloth nappies so I usually put them on a cold rinse just before bed , then set the timer.
I realised the other night that this may be very annoying for my neighbours. We live in a block of houses. We can hear the machine go through it's spin cycle. It's not particularly loud. We sleep through it.
AIBU to do this. Would it piss you off?

fleacircus Thu 25-Jun-09 14:56:06

Ask them. Make sure you're clear that it's what you've been doing for a while, rather than a new idea, so if it's not been disturbing them you don't need to worry about it.

Morloth Thu 25-Jun-09 14:56:13

Nope, I do it, the upstairs neighbour does it.

It is really very satisfying to have clothes hung up first thing in the morning.

LovelyTinOfSpam Thu 25-Jun-09 14:57:45

I do this. Mainly for the cheap night-time leccy.

May be worth mentioning it if you see them.

GrungeBlobPrimpants Thu 25-Jun-09 14:58:32

Oh I do this sometimes - but set it to come on around 7 to finish at 8, so not likely to disturb neighbours during a working week. May be worth just mentioning it to find out if they can hear it or not. Ours can't unless all windows are open (in summer)

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 25-Jun-09 15:02:01

i dont put it on delay

but i do put it on in evening, so ready for me to hang in morning

ginormoboobs Thu 25-Jun-09 15:04:59

I would ask them but I never see them. We live in a block that is like a block of flats but instead of four flats there are 4 houses. I don't think that I have explained it very well.
I don't see the neighbours who may be able to hear it because they live in the next block so we have a different entrance.

littlelamb Thu 25-Jun-09 15:09:34

Do you all have a very obvious timer button? Or am I missing a trick? Because I would love to do this. I tend to do my washing very late at night as I do keep unsociable hours but my neighbour does too and it doesn't bother me

ginormoboobs Thu 25-Jun-09 15:19:38

Littlelamb
Mine just says delay timer above the button. Not all machines have them though. Check in your wasing machine manual. One of the reasons we bought this machine was because it has a timer delay blush

celticbohys Thu 25-Jun-09 16:46:45

my upstairs neighbour does this and it is quite annoying when you or your child are woken up at 3,4,5 o'clock in the morning to that awful durrrr noise.

i would possibly ask them as it maybe disturbing them but they don't want to upset you by saying so

AMumInScotland Thu 25-Jun-09 16:56:15

Do you have a "rinse hold" option? If so, you could have it do most of the wash, but not the final (loudest!) spin until you get up, so it's not an unreasonable hour. Or change the timings so it will do that bit after about 7am.

ginormoboobs Thu 25-Jun-09 17:26:45

I will start setting it for a more reasonable hour. I think letting it start at 7am would be better. It not like a few hours will make much of a difference to my drying time.
My bedroom is above the kitchen so luckily it has not been directly affecting anyone.

duchesse Thu 25-Jun-09 17:33:46

Depends if you have paper thin walls. Ask the neighbours. If you have economy 7 tariff electricity at night as we do, it makes perfect sense to time the machine to come on in the night. We use almost as much lecky at night as in the day now, and it costs a fraction of the day-time tariff.

duchesse Thu 25-Jun-09 17:34:51

To those that asked- you can just use an ordinary timer between your machine and the wall. That's what we did until we had a machine with a timer.

StealthPolarBear Thu 25-Jun-09 17:39:04

probably going to be told off by flyladies, but can you not just wash the night before and then it's ready for the morning? That's what I do blush

TrillianAstra Thu 25-Jun-09 18:21:50

Ask your neighbours if they have ever heard it. If not, then keep doing as you are doing. If they say 'actually it is quite annoying but we didn't say anything cos we're shy' then aim for a more reasonable hour in the morning. How long does your wash cycle take anyway?

ilovesprouts Thu 25-Jun-09 18:33:49

we do our wash in the day but also at night ,towels etc and our neighbour does not mind at all smilesometimes @10pm

ByTheSea Thu 25-Jun-09 18:38:35

I agree that you should ask the neighbours if you do have thin walls, but if they don't hear it, definitely carry on. I do this frequently -- it saves a lot of money and time. That said, it's not a neighbour issue for us since we're in a detached house.

bruffin Thu 25-Jun-09 18:39:02

Our neighbours used to run their tumble dryer in the garage late at night.It was against our bedroom wall, so it disturbed us when we were trying to sleep.
We just asked them nicely if they could move it, which they did and never had a problem since.

staylucky Thu 25-Jun-09 18:44:29

I think if they'd noticed it they would have said something by now, or maybe been a bit off?

staylucky Thu 25-Jun-09 18:44:30

I think if they'd noticed it they would have said something by now, or maybe been a bit off?

expatinscotland Thu 25-Jun-09 18:46:41

i do mine in the evening, too, for cheaper leccy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now