Talk

Advanced search

to get really annoyed with people who call Tesco "Tescos'?

(187 Posts)
bumptwitknocker Thu 25-Jun-09 14:03:14

This really annoys me. It's not called Tescos, it's just Tesco. You wouldn't say Asdas or Lidls or Aldis (sorry about the choice of supermarket examples, only ones that don't actually have an 's' on the end). Does anyone else get cross when their friends say they're "just going to Tescos"? I know there are more important things to worry about, but why would you call it that when it isn't called that?

MaryAnnSingleton Thu 25-Jun-09 14:03:54

I am totally with you on this bumptwitknocker- grrrrrrrr

sagacious Thu 25-Jun-09 14:04:25

meh

YABU

Tortington Thu 25-Jun-09 14:05:07

we had this a couple of days ago - and whilst i didn't comment on it there was a wonderful post along the lines of how its actually a great example of the qurkyness of the english language- you would benefit from doing a search - it was only a couple of days ago

crokky Thu 25-Jun-09 14:05:54

I say Tescos blush.

What about Sainsburys - is that wrong as well or are you supposed to say it - I thought the guy was called Sainsbury.

SoupDragon Thu 25-Jun-09 14:06:17

[shrug] YABU to get annoyed with the people - they can call it whatever they like from Tesco to Tescos through Meglomaniac Wankers.

meemarsgotabrandnewbump Thu 25-Jun-09 14:07:13

grin I especially like TKMaxx's and Boots's

Have you ever been to Plymouth? They sometimes add an additional 's' onto the non-existent 's'. So you would commonly hear:

Asdas's or Sainsburys's

Fimbo Thu 25-Jun-09 14:07:22

Where I am, almost everyone adds an "s" on to supermarket names, with the exception of Waitrose for some reason.

HellHathNoFury Thu 25-Jun-09 14:08:40

hahahahahaha

Haven't you got anything better to worry about?
Perhaps you should post this in pedants corner, you might get a better recption grin

Fimbo Thu 25-Jun-09 14:08:48

Oh and someone else I know calls Marks and Spencer, Markses.

mrsflowerpot Thu 25-Jun-09 14:09:06

I think you have a leetle too much time on your hands...

Having said that, MIL calls Asda 'THE Asda' and it makes me want to shake her.

bumptwitknocker Thu 25-Jun-09 14:09:20

Sainsbury's has an s on the end - only because the shop belongs to Mr Sainsbury, so it also has an appostrophe.

Frasersmum123 Thu 25-Jun-09 14:09:22

agree with Fimbo - I think round here you would be looked at odd if you didnt say Tescos.

What annoys me a little is when people call Morrisons 'Morros' - It sets my teeth on edge.

MamaLazarou Thu 25-Jun-09 14:09:28

YABU

I can think of 100,000,000 more important things to get annoyed about.

2rebecca Thu 25-Jun-09 14:09:43

Yes YABU

meemarsgotabrandnewbump Thu 25-Jun-09 14:10:06

Ah, so in Plymouth it would be Sainsbury's's wink

MadreInglese Thu 25-Jun-09 14:11:49

FIL calls Asda "Asdas"

can't say it annoys me, just makes me chuckle as it sounds odd

I call M&S Markses! As does my Mum and did my Gran.

And I say Tescos, though it would be in the context of 'No I don't shop at Tescos'.grin

GrimmaTheNome Thu 25-Jun-09 14:12:42

It does rather imply that people thing there is (or was) a Mr Tesco.

Or perhaps its a little more subtle. Tesco is a huge national company. You can't actually go to Tesco. What you can do is go to one of Tesco's supermarkets.

meemarsgotabrandnewbump Thu 25-Jun-09 14:12:55

lol at "The Asda"

moffat Thu 25-Jun-09 14:13:03

to the OP, YANBU. It doesn't bother me but you are well within your rights to be bothered by it. I get annoyed when MIL says "dyslectic" instead of "dyslexic", but cannot bring myself to correct her.

MadreInglese Thu 25-Jun-09 14:13:28

I do, however, live in one of the only places in the UK without a Tesco so I don't hear friends saying they're going there...

Longtalljosie Thu 25-Jun-09 14:14:01

That's what annoys you?

Damn the rest of your life must be hassle-free

Fimbo Thu 25-Jun-09 14:14:42

My mum annoys me the most, she calls Wallis, The Wallis Shop. Arrggh

Tidey Thu 25-Jun-09 14:14:46

I know a fair few people who say 'Asda's'. Tescos doesn't bother me in the least though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now