Talk

Advanced search

mothers help/aupairs/nannie

(3 Posts)
chachi Thu 25-Jun-09 12:06:03

hello girls,
i am a mother of 2 (grown up) and grandmother of one. I have been looking for a mothers help position with housekeeping for ages as i love little childred and feel i have a lot to offer. I believe I would put myself out for the grateful family above and beyond the call of duty and love the children wholeheartdly. Yet, as a woman who wants to earn her own money I am shocked and appauled at the messages going back and forth between mothers who don't want to pay a decent wage for a genuine helper and for someone who they have chosen to esentially become part of their family and have a little influence in their childrens lives. Is it unreasonable of me to expect a decent wage for taking on this responsibility of: reliability, honesty, organising games for the children, correcting behaviour, passing on experience of life, helping with homework, cooking meals, running errands and the list is endless. Would you do this job full time for £300 a week and 6 days at that? i don't think so. If you are passing this responsible job and the care of your precious little ones then you must pay for it. one very cross mother/grandmother warm
wishes to you all i feel better now i've had my say lol

OldLadyKnowsNothing Thu 25-Jun-09 20:30:18

The thing is chachi, that people looking for a mother's help or au pair are likely to be expecting a young girl/boy with some experience of life but not a lot, to give them a bit of a hand rather than take over completely, and have budgeted for/can afford that. People looking for a nanny want qualifications, and you don't mention that you have any.

You mention housekeeping - maybe you could look for a job where the primary focus is on that rather than on childcare?

PaulaAtMummyKnowsBest Fri 26-Jun-09 10:22:46

do you have any qualifications or experience as a housekeeper or nanny?

Have you looked on gumtree?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now