Talk

Advanced search

to think that primary school age children should not be roaming the streets at 9.30 and setting fire to bins behind our local shop??

(13 Posts)
sheepgomeep Mon 22-Jun-09 22:09:59

I've just been to our local shop to get munchies and as I got there I saw about a dozen children from my childrens school all roaming about on bikes and playing about behind the shop. Anyway I came out the shop to see plumes of smoke above the shop and loads of excitement from people watching 'oo the bins behind the shop are on fire look here comes the fire brigade'

Anyway I just find it hard to believe that people let thier kids out beyond 830pm especially ona school night. It seems to be the norm here in the summer and unfortunately it does cause trouble on our estate especially to the local shop as its about the third arson attack by children in the past 3 months.

There were children out aged 7 and upwards and I recognize them as they do go to the local school. I just couldn't let my children out to play at so late, fine if in garden but not on the streets surely

It must have been a large fire because I can smell the smoke from here.

So aibu. Do any of you let your children out to play so late and I'm talking primary school age here

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Mon 22-Jun-09 22:11:55

I don't, the little darling's in bed by 8:30! shock
This isn't playing, it's vandalism by the way wink

YANBU.

whomovedmychocolate Mon 22-Jun-09 22:12:16

No, they are chavs. You can feel superior. Poor kids though, being left out on the streets on their own, it's no wonder they get into trouble.

Zebrastripes Mon 22-Jun-09 22:15:01

YANBU - at that age they should be in bed on a school night

MaureenMLove Mon 22-Jun-09 22:16:56

My 13 year old has been in bed an hour, so no, yanbu!

Yurtgirl Mon 22-Jun-09 22:25:12

Tis common here too
If its a fine evening I can be certain that loads of local kids will roam the streets till gone 10pm - a sizeable percentage aged under 12

duchesse Mon 22-Jun-09 22:26:10

No of course YANBU. They should be at home, bathed and tucked up in bed. They are being neglected in a way that seems almost normal in many families.

pickyvic Mon 22-Jun-09 23:25:28

these are the little darlings i deal with when im in uniform....they are sooo delightful. i actually had no idea that kids could be like this before i became a special....what an eyeopener thats been!

YANBU.

Phoenix4725 Tue 23-Jun-09 04:01:25

I dont even allow my 12 year old to be roaming the streets at that time .and before get shot down as over protective he is allowed out goes to youth clubs sport clubs just dont like him hanging on street corners

junglist1 Tue 23-Jun-09 07:48:50

I am a chav and my 9 year old wouldn't be out at that time, not even on a weekend. If he wants to go out the latest he'll be in is 730, I want him to have some wind down time before bed. These parents are probably stressed with their kids but they should think how they are contributing to their own stress by not allowing themselves any relaxation. I certainly don't want my 2 up at 10 I'm knackered by then!

abraid Tue 23-Jun-09 08:14:18

In our little village older primary school age children play outside until about 8-8.15pm on a school night at this time of year. But they're just playing cricket or football in the park, in view of all our houses and they are all well-behaved.

Because we have nothing else to offer them except fresh air and open spaces this is their pay-off for very dull February afternoons and evenings when there are no shops or cafes or cinemas to visit.

sarah293 Tue 23-Jun-09 08:19:09

Message withdrawn

abraid Wed 24-Jun-09 07:31:27

Absolutely!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now