Talk

Advanced search

to think it is christmas?

(11 Posts)
aristocat Mon 22-Jun-09 18:27:48

AIBU to think my neighbour is a lazy bu*ger because he still has christmas decorations hanging outside his house. shock

I love christmas and we decorate our house too BUT i do take them down in january!

The neighbours are a young healthy couple with 2 DCs, so are they:
1. lazy
2. have forgotten about the lights
3. going to leave them until december

hmm grin

psychomum5 Mon 22-Jun-09 18:30:23

there are about 5 houses that I have seen in the area close to me (well, between me and school.....see them on the school run).....I think it is just 'cannot-be-botheredness' TBH. they leave them and leave them, then think whats the point as it is nearly time to put them back againwink!

Wilts Mon 22-Jun-09 18:33:32

My neighbours but one do this every year. Each Christmas just adding more and more.

Right classy area I live in me hmm

MaureenMLove Mon 22-Jun-09 18:34:53

We've got a neighbour who adorns his house with a slightly smaller scale Blackpool effect. He does take them down in January, but he leaves all the little white clips on the house! It looks dreadful! I'd rather he left the lights up, I think!

5Foot5 Mon 22-Jun-09 20:45:56

We have never put lights up outside the house (DH thinks they are too tacky for words) but I noticed the other day that the little Christmas candles we got from Marks are still in the window sill.

I was going to put them away but then I realised that as we are now roughly equidistant between Christmases I might as well leave them where they are.

zipzap Mon 22-Jun-09 23:42:03

Aristocat, I could be you neighbour blush - I have some white twinkly lights that still hang outside, I have a couple of dcs and (to my neighbours who I don't know very well) we probably appear to be relatively healthy.

However the lights are still up there (albeit unused during the non-christmas period) because they are an absolute pain to put up and take down (literally in some cases when the nail goes into your thumb), and if you try to take the nails out it causes problems and holes that get bigger and bigger and then you need different holes, all not good for the brickwork and render. It is white string of lights on cream background so they are not too visible during their off season! We did try taking them down the first year, having put them up because the previous house owners had done it and left the nails. Just caused lots of problems and mess so was easier, safer and better for the house to leave them where they were.

And neither dh or I have been very well over the last couple of years, not obviously to outsiders but enough that it is one less job that needs to be done and it is lovely to have them there when ds1 sees them and gets excited as christmas approaches (long may he continued to be pleased by simple things at christmas grin).

And this summer we have wound some twinkly white lights through some of the trees in our back garden - not sure what you would make of them as they are very pretty in the summer evenings, definitely not christmasy but come christmas time they will look nice too. And best bit about those is that they are solar ones so no worries about outside electricity - yippee.

RunningFaery Tue 23-Jun-09 00:04:16

I had a friend whos Dad decided that he really liked having a Christmas Tree, so much so that he just left it up. It wasn't laziness, just someone who wants to enjoy the Christmas cheer all year round. Maybe your neighbours just really like perennials.

MumHadEnough Tue 23-Jun-09 00:09:49

We still have our roof lights up, but to be honest they're clipped to the guttering and you'd never notice they are there. They also took dh 3 hours with a very very tall ladder to put up, so they are staying where they are.

I'm always tempted to put them on when we have a bbq! grin

aristocat Tue 23-Jun-09 20:45:46

haha zipzap, would not mind if you were my neighbour. the tree lights in your garden sound fab. if you are - why dont you ever walk your dog? hmm and when are you going to replace the fence panels he ate shock

OMG, now i sound like a 'nosey' neighbour dont i.

im nice really
im nice really
im nice really

GrimmaTheNome Tue 23-Jun-09 20:51:20

send your kids round with a charity collection tin to sing carols then

zipzap Wed 24-Jun-09 23:45:13

ah. pet free home here so guess we are not neighbours then grin

but yes, I do love my tree lights blush - I went to get some more but they had more than doubled in price so am now waiting to see if they will turn up in a sale sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now