Talk

Advanced search

to cut my hair off

(20 Posts)
Sassyfrassy Mon 22-Jun-09 17:18:41

I've got a free haircut on saturday. It's a promotion thing where I get a cut and blowdry and get spoilt a bit. Now, I have long hair that hasn't been cut for over a year. It's not very thick and I end up always having it tied back because it gets in the way and the baby pulls on it. I start a new job in september and would like a nice new professional look. I used to have short hair years and years ago and thought I looked quite good.

Problem is, dh really doesn't like short hair on women. I'm now feeling inclined to not tell him in advance and just cut it anyway. Not supershort, but kind of medium length. I'm certain he'll moan lots afterwards though. So how much should you take your partner's taste in style and fashion into account when making choices like these?

cocolepew Mon 22-Jun-09 17:20:57

Tell your DH to stuff it and do what you would like.

TrinityRhino Mon 22-Jun-09 17:21:14

my dh doesn't like tattoos
but wouldn't maon at me if I hot one

I think if you fancy doing it you should do it

and then tell him he cant moan because its childish

{I wouldn't have a tattoo but that about me not wanting it not because dh doesn't like them}

TrinityRhino Mon 22-Jun-09 17:21:52

coclepew said it much more succintly grin

slushy06 Mon 22-Jun-09 17:22:19

Not a bit in my opinion I would ask my dp what he thought and if he didn't like it he would say it is up to you.

End of the day my body my hair. But then I wouldn't dream of telling dp I didn't like something he had done so I guess it depends on the relationship.

Would you moan if he cut his hair in a way you disliked.

shivermetimbers Mon 22-Jun-09 17:23:26

Not at all.They are entitled to an opinion but I personally would not be swayed by it. It's your hair.

mrsdisorganised Mon 22-Jun-09 17:25:24

YANBU!

I have very long hair and like you went a long time between cuts, my DH hates the thought of me getting it cut too, however I went slightly extreme (for me!) just above shoulders, layered and had red tints put through (I have dark brown hair).....he loved it! I hadn't told him before hand either, that was 4 years agoblush must make another appointment!

Itsjustafleshwound Mon 22-Jun-09 17:26:06

I do take into account my husband's opinion, but it is only an opinion and I really would be quite hmm if he got shirty about what I did with my appearance ...

GrimmaTheNome Mon 22-Jun-09 17:29:16

Have it done if you want to - so long as its not extreme he may not even notice if he's like many DHs grin

If he really hates it you can always say that you asked the stylist for just a trim, and if you don't like it, well, hair grows.

BitOfFun Mon 22-Jun-09 17:29:41

I wouldn't want to get rid of a feature that my DP loved, but given this is your hair, I would guess he won't notice anyway- tell him you had a trim if he asks, and he'll try to put his finger on what's different but won't be able to manage it grin

BitOfFun Mon 22-Jun-09 17:30:15

X posts!

MatNanPlus Mon 22-Jun-09 17:31:50

DH prefers my hair to be longer than it was when we first met (1" ish all over) so i grew it to below ears bob but when i have it cut he doesn't moan, whereas i have been known to moan when it gets all knotty

I also colour it, he prefers the reds whereas i like to auburn and purples so as it is done every 4-6 wks we both get our favoured colour regularly.

I do moan if his hair cut isn't done right tho given thinning hair can look so bad if cut wrong.

HecatesTwopenceworth Mon 22-Jun-09 17:32:59

your hair, your choice.

BUT.

If he was to come home with, I dunno, a skinhead, or a new wardrobe full of clothes that you HATED, or decided to grow a beard or moustache / shave off his beard or moustache can you hand on heart say that you would say "that's fine darling, as long as you like it, I like it" Or do you prefer him to look a certain way?

Sassyfrassy Mon 22-Jun-09 17:42:33

Short hair it is!

I'd be happy with most looks he might choose. He's talked about shaving his hair off and start over. He has quite a thick head of fluffy ginger hair that he doesn't like. I told him that if he wanted to shave it off I wouldn't mind but added that I didn't think it would suit him I must admit.

mayorquimby Mon 22-Jun-09 17:49:48

"but added that I didn't think it would suit him I must admit. "

and would that be in the same class as your dh's predicted moaning?
and would you get annoyed if he offered a negative opinion.
for example can we expect to see athread in a weeks time along the lines of "aibu to think that if my dh doesn't like my new look he should keep it to himself" if you get it done and he says he doesn't like it.
obviously go for it if it's what you want. i'm just wondering to what degree he's likely to moan, or if when he gives negative opinion he's moaning and when you do it it's constructive criticism.

Sassyfrassy Mon 22-Jun-09 18:04:09

I'm not sure just how much he'll moan as I've never cut my hair short since meeting him. My comment to him was requested. He asked me if I thought it would suit him and I answered no. I certainly wouldn't moan if he did cut it all off.

I like your question, mayorquimby, about moaning versus constructive critisism, it made me smile. I guess quite often we see our own moaning in a different light then when someone else does it =) I think he would moan about it for a little bit and say he wished it was still long but I don't think he would go on about it.

I think I just needed some reassurance that it's ok to change something about me even if it's not what dh would prefer. For a long time I've just not really given a thought to changing it and now I find myself really keen on a big change.

mayorquimby Mon 22-Jun-09 18:11:58

i say go for it then anyway. i mean your worried about something that hasn't even happened yet, i.e. him moaning. chances are he won't and if you'll be happier tyhen it's worth it.
if he's the kind of person to persist with petty moaning about a haircut then the haircut itself is the least of your problems.

Sassyfrassy Mon 22-Jun-09 19:34:21

I think I'm making him out to be worse than he is really. I'll get my haircut and tell him that's how I like it. I'm sure there won't be much moaning and if he doesnt like it he can say so.

whereeverIlaymyhat Mon 22-Jun-09 19:41:12

How old is the baby and have you lost the weight yet ?
I ask because I loped my hair off when DD was 7 months old and what i really wanted was to be 2 stone lighter.
I was then fat and had no hair, not a good look.

laweaselmys Mon 22-Jun-09 19:45:44

In this situation, as long as you get a good haircut that suits you, he'll end up eating his words, that's what usually happens!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now