Talk

Advanced search

To keep fantastic current Aupair when i already have another booked for July ?

(8 Posts)
Totallyfloaty35 Mon 22-Jun-09 15:42:31

Hi i did also post this in childcare section but the answers were pretty evenly split and i need some good strong opinion as today is the day i need to decide, thanks.
Bit complicated so sorry if i confuse anyone.
A while back i fired very scary NZ aupair and advertised on Aupair world for a summer(ish) girl to work May-sept.No one seemed to be able to start til end of June and i got a bit frantic an accepted a girl to come from july 9th to mid sept.I kept my profile up and a 2wks later a girl applied who could do end of May til Sept(dates i wanted originally) i booked her to come til July 9th though as already had other girl from then.Thing is this girl is great.My dds really like her,DD3 adores her as she spends hours playing with her,she is also really good at the housework stuff,she is nice to talk to and as she looks and acts like Cameron Diaz has no shortage of social life so i dont have to entertain her every weekend. We did have a little blip at the beginning where she wasnt getting up on time(turned out she had wrong time set on her clock).
But do i get her to stay til Sept or do i take my chances and hope the next girl is just as Fab(next girl has been aupair 3 times before,has fab references and seems lovely on the phone) Im very worried about it,NZ girl was dreadful and dont want another dud,i guess its fear of the unknown.Also next girl has got her ticket already.
Any advice please,sorry for long post.

AMumInScotland Mon 22-Jun-09 15:47:00

So, you don't need the other girl, as this one can do till the end date you wanted? But you've got her booked and she's bought a ticket. I think you could cancel the new one, but you'd need to compensate her for messing her round.

Totallyfloaty35 Mon 22-Jun-09 15:54:00

No i dont need her but i booked her first then needed someone to cover til then.I realise would have to refund her ticket money at the very least as compensation but still not sure if i could bring myself to upset her by cancelling.

ChippingIn Mon 22-Jun-09 16:05:00

Bother - if it's not one problem it's another grin

I presume you have discussed this with your current AP and she would like to stay??

Having established that the current AP is available and willing to stay, I would phone the 'incoming' AP and explain the situation (honestly always a good policy), I would refund her any costs, tell her you would still like to meet her (as it's nothing personal) and (if you have any spare room (even if the kids have to share a room for a bit) invite her to stay while you help her find a new position.

Job done grin

Stigaloid Mon 22-Jun-09 16:06:09

what do you think is best for your children? Keeping on the same au pair or having a new face?

whichever you choose is your answer.

What are you doing after september?

Totallyfloaty35 Mon 22-Jun-09 16:14:10

I have a lovely German girl coming for 6months in Mid Sept,been talking to her for a while so that sides all good and current aupair is happy to stay,she likes it here,has loads of mates and adores mini dd.I hate letting people down though sad.

bigchris Mon 22-Jun-09 16:16:06

yanbu
all this swapping and changing must be confusing for the dcs so I'd stick with the original au pair
any chance she can do past september too?

Stigaloid Mon 22-Jun-09 16:19:08

the answer is whatever is best for your children. If you can change the flights and use teh other aupair at a later date that is a compromise but i would tell her pretty qucik that your plans have changed if you feel that consistency is better for your DC's than another new face after a couple of months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now