Talk

Advanced search

To think reproducing MN threads is very lazy journalism

(29 Posts)
janegrey Mon 22-Jun-09 13:15:03

Today's Independent has reprinted five pages of AIBU threads.

Great publicity for MN, bloody lazy journalism IMHO - we've written it for them!

There's not even any analysis of this "snapshot of modern family life" - just a reproduction of the comments on various topics including the ubiquitous children at weddings.

AIBU to think this?

Rhubarb Mon 22-Jun-09 13:16:03

Dunno, link please!

Thunderduck Mon 22-Jun-09 13:16:59

YANBU. And surely it isn't worthy of space in any newspaper?

Tortington Mon 22-Jun-09 13:17:52

there was a link on another thread - iuts simply a list of AIBU - like - just a list.

its trez peculiar

Rhubarb Mon 22-Jun-09 13:17:58

Actually, since I was featured in a piece once, I have personal experience of this. Other newspapers copied the piece, edited it and reprinted it in their papers. They don't even use their own journalists, they use freelancers and half the time they have no idea who the journalist is who's done a piece for them, they just know the name of the agency they came from.

'Tis very lazy.

KingRolo Mon 22-Jun-09 13:18:09

Yanbu - and it's happened a few times recently. Wasn't there a Times 'article' lifted from MN a few months ago?

Do MN get royalties do you think?

Rhubarb Mon 22-Jun-09 13:19:11

Nope, once it's in the public domain it can be reprinted anywhere.

janegrey Mon 22-Jun-09 13:20:13

www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/healthy-living/mumsnetrsquos-messageboards-a-sn apshot-of-modern-family-life-1712088.html

It looks even worse online - at least the paper has given it some layout, albeit with stereotypical 50s mums on the cover.

ilovemydogandmrobama Mon 22-Jun-09 13:23:25

someone should leave a comment linking to this thread wink

TrillianAstra Mon 22-Jun-09 13:28:34

And I'm not even in it!

<humph>

What's the point of posting hundreds of tis a month if I don't get into the papers?

Yes Rolo there was a Times article exactly like this a little while ago, just 'look at some AIBUs' without any kind of commentary or writing of any sort.

KingRolo Mon 22-Jun-09 13:37:38

God, that's appalling.

It's no wonder the newspaper industry is going down the pan if that's what passes for journalism these days. Could have made an interesting article had there been some commentary or analysis.

I wanted to be a journalist when I was growing up. I became a teacher instead. Clearly made the wrong decision there...

ilovemydogandmrobama Mon 22-Jun-09 13:44:28

Wonder if their job description is just: cut and paste? hmm

I could do that. smile

blinks Mon 22-Jun-09 13:45:06

proper lazy.

must have needed a filler in a hurry. cut and paste, bit of stock photography and voila.

did read it though and that thread about dropping your kids off at school in your PJs was ridiculously judgemental and not very representative of MN in my opinion. maybe it was edited to remove all the other slovenly mothers. my morning uniform is trench coat and dark glasses. maybe the kids will grow up thinking i'm a spy or summat.

troutpout Mon 22-Jun-09 13:50:46

yanbu
and how blardy dare they not include my comments

Nancy66 Mon 22-Jun-09 13:58:20

The Independent don't have a pot to piss in -they make a massive loss every week and it's unlikely they'll survive the year...so I understand why they've done it - cheap but, yes, lazy too.

merryberry Mon 22-Jun-09 14:03:08

yes some folk i know are playing bankrupt sweepstake about them...didn't they fail to pay a big sum very recently?

screamingabdab Mon 22-Jun-09 14:06:14

Here's the other thread on this topic (and even though I am not in the Independent piece, I AM in the other thread, being witty and erudite as per wink)

screamingabdab Mon 22-Jun-09 14:09:04

AIBU, or is reproducing MN threads in other MN threads lazy ? grin www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/777547-to-not-want-to-read-AIBU-in-today-39-s

LupusinaLlamasuit Mon 22-Jun-09 14:09:19

I have mixed views on this. I only really mind when they do it as if they have done the interviews etc. If they're actually reporting that they found it on MN what's the harm?

LupusinaLlamasuit Mon 22-Jun-09 14:12:06

I thought it was quite funny actually. Best on MN on there.

squeaver Mon 22-Jun-09 14:13:43

Tomayto/tomato

Lazy journalism/good PR

troutpout Mon 22-Jun-09 14:15:50

Oh really Nancy?
<<has visions of one little man in a darkened room cutting and pasting furiously>>
Oh well then they are welcome...cut and paste away little man!
Someone direct him to the classic threads grin

LadyOfWaffle Mon 22-Jun-09 14:18:11

Wow, people get paid for this? I may become a journalist!

Nancy66 Mon 22-Jun-09 14:22:38

troutpout - yep, afraid so. Many freelancers won't undertake commissions from them because they don't think they'll get paid.

I heard that they're losing £400k a week so i don't see how they can print much longer.

Longtalljosie Tue 23-Jun-09 05:31:50

Well, if you don't like it, also have a word with MNHQ - it looks like a joint effort to me, there's a link to MN at the bottom.

From MNHQ's point of view, it's a win-win - it will be a great traffic-booster for them...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now