Talk

Advanced search

to think a carer should know better than to park on a dropped kerb

(23 Posts)
2shoes Mon 22-Jun-09 09:59:12

woman over the road has a care come in.
they are having work done so carer can't park right outside their house, so the silly bint parks on the corner up on the kerb accross the dropped kerb!!
this is the end of a culde sac leading to the main road, so used my loads of people and mums with buggies and the ocasional wheelchair user.
why are people so dense?

HecatesTwopenceworth Mon 22-Jun-09 12:50:43

Thoughtlessness. Living in their own little bubble. Things like the impact of their actions on those around them, well, it just doesn't penetrate! generally if you point it out to them, they feel bad, because they aren't horrible people, just not taken a moment to look around them and think.

MIAonline Mon 22-Jun-09 13:06:47

This really frustrates me. Why do people feel the need to pack on paths at all, let alone on the dropped kerb? They seem to have no thought at all for pedestrians, wheelchair users and children in buggies who then need to walk on the road.

We have the same problem on bin day. the bins are scattered all over the paths and on narrow paths, you have the choice of moving every bin or going around them.

MIAonline Mon 22-Jun-09 13:07:36

That should 'park' obviously. Not pack, though that would be inconsiderate too grin

Paolosgirl Mon 22-Jun-09 13:11:40

Agree - thoughtless and inconsiderate in the extreme. Could you write a note and leave it under her windscreen asking her not to park there again? If she did do it again, you could take it further and complain to the care company (or is this just me taking it too far again? grin)

sarah293 Mon 22-Jun-09 13:50:36

Message withdrawn

TheDevilWearsYFronts Mon 22-Jun-09 14:27:05

You are so often angry 2shoes, surely you have enough to worry about?

If she can't park outside she has to park nearby (maybe lugging equipment)

It's not so hard to negotiate kerbs with a wheelchair.

bumsrush Mon 22-Jun-09 14:30:47

Parking on corners is a pain and should park on a junction but on small residential roads there is sometimes no option, unless there are yellow lines she can park. Have to say I don't look at the height of the kerb when parking. I don't park on junctions, yellow lines and accross drives or other access points.

bumsrush Mon 22-Jun-09 14:31:27

OOOPPPSS

Parking on corners is a pain and shouldn't park on a junction but

sarah293 Mon 22-Jun-09 14:43:58

Message withdrawn

UndertheBoredwalk Mon 22-Jun-09 14:49:10

Absolutely Riven! Wheelchairs arn't like pushchairs you know. They weight a fecking ton, then add in weight of child/person aswell and they are absolutely not easy to negotiate over kerbs. I hate doing it, am always worried that I'm going to drop the handles and send DD flying on her back into the road.
why bother having dropped kerbs at all? If its so easy for those that use them to manage without?

UndertheBoredwalk Mon 22-Jun-09 14:49:58

they weigh not weight blush

Paolosgirl Mon 22-Jun-09 20:16:55

TheDevil - she's not the only one who's angry about this. Are you directing your post at us all? I presume also that you've never had to push a 14 stone man in a wheelchair?

MIAonline Mon 22-Jun-09 20:24:32

I agree with Paolosgirl.

For example, it is very difficult to push a heavy man in a wheelchair with footplates when somebody thinks it is ok to park in the one spot you can cross the road without having to exert all your strength to lift the wheelchair onto the pavement.

Presumably you have never been in this position TheDevil?

Pavements and dropped kerbs are there for a reason. I don't think it is unreasonable for someone who needs these to be annoyed that they are not available.

psychomum5 Mon 22-Jun-09 20:29:37

sad to say, it is pure and utter thoughtlessness. unless you have had to negotiate a wheelchair on a kerb, you simply don;t have a clue about how hard it is. not condoning it in any way, but trying to explain. for many people, they think that unless there are yellow lines, they can park whereever they like, regardless of what it says in the highway codehmm.

that said, for a carer to do it, well, I have to say, I am stunned. well, unless it was a life or death situation, and then it is kind-of understood.

no doubt, it is the same type of people who stop in the yellow box at a junction and stop me getting out of the end of the road, just to give them an extra 0.10th of a second saved time on a journeyangry!!!

PeachyTheRiverParrettHarlot Mon 22-Jun-09 20:30:59

Oh god I don't think it would have pccurred to me - sorry

Not for buggies either which I use every day obv

Am thick adn in own world, sorry

I am a pavement aprker too but on Police orders so OK then I think )and you cant get a buggy or wheelchair down it anyway- thats the idea, clear the narrow lane instead)

Sorry 2shoes

sameagain Mon 22-Jun-09 20:43:29

TheDevil - you are either incredibly strong or you have never had an elderly (slightly overweight from lack of activity) grandmother to push in a wheelchair, but 2shoes,that's the reason. Unless you've had to do it, you don't realise how inconsiderate it is.

edam Mon 22-Jun-09 20:46:26

I'd happily bring back the stocks for people who park over dropped kerbs. With the exception of the people who have fessed up here and realised the error of their ways. <lobs a sly tomato while they aren't looking>

surreylady Mon 22-Jun-09 21:53:49

Understanding that it is inconsiderate - is it actually illegal to park across a drop kerb?

2shoes Mon 22-Jun-09 21:57:34

TheDevilWearsYFronts !"

2shoes Mon 22-Jun-09 21:58:25

hopefully she will stop soon as the work will be finished.
I moaned on here as obviously I won't say anything in rl.

whocaresaboutyourintellect Fri 26-Jun-09 18:05:46

Can she park out of the road?

I used to be a carer and our work did not provide parking permits. If it was a choice between parking in restricted parking where I might suffer a ticket or over a dropped kerb for half an hour I would pick the drop kerb.

Problem is these agencies do not often allow for travel time and so having to park a mile down the road when you are working against the clock is a PITA.
That was one of the reasons I left.

Having said that many of my colleagues were so eager to get in and do the job that they would park anywhere!

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 26-Jun-09 20:35:36

yes a carer should know better

and buggys are hard enought o go up/down kerbs with a 2stone child, let alone a wheelcahit with an older child/adult

i would leave a note on her car, or even go and knock on the house she is in and point this out to her

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now