Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to feel slightly agreived at what best friend said

(11 Posts)
thesockmonsterofdoom Sun 21-Jun-09 08:01:56

Am not upset or anything, but we were out last night in very posh part off town, with best friend who doesnt have children and her fairly rich glamoro9us friend who is vother very anti maternal, best friend was telling her other friend that my children are feral and then conversations got round to why on earth would anybody choose to breast feed. Now I dont really care what this other girl thinks but I was slightly upset that bf rather than sticking up for my choices was joking about them to her friend.
I have no issues, bf and I do differ on these things, but I klnow that she loves my dc and is always coming round to tuck them in after work etc, I just felt slightly upset that she didn t show this in front of her other friend and made me feel like the simple housewife.
Which i am not anymore anyway as I return to work onMon.
And I wont be saying anything to friend but writing it down has just got the niggle out of my head, son thanks for listening.

posieparker Sun 21-Jun-09 08:04:40

How horrid that your BF was more worried about impressing her other friend by taking the piss out of you, quite cheap really.

sweetfall Sun 21-Jun-09 08:05:23

She was 'showing off' in front of her friend I think. She probably doesn't think of it but if you imagine her as a surly teen she was putting you as scapegoat to look bigger, funnier and clever.

So just deal with her like you would any other 13 year old - sigh and move on wink

StayFrosty Sun 21-Jun-09 08:09:58

yanbu. very immature behaviour from them both, but your friend should know better. tbh i would say something, or at least let her know i was pissed off. i think healthy relationships should be able to take a bit of 'actually when you did x it made me feel y, please don't ever do it again'. or something.

squeaver Sun 21-Jun-09 08:15:04

I sort of get the anti breast feeding thing. I know I thought it was a very odd concept before I had dd. And it's the sort of thing non-mothers do say a lot. Not forgivable, but slightly understandable.

I think calling your dcs feral is not good however.

PP and sweetfall are both right - she was trying to impress her friend which is a bit pathetic in a grown woman.

Yes sigh and move on but I would be tempted to make your point. Next time she comes to see your dcs, why don't you say "oh you quite like them now that your friend is out of ear-shot do you??".

But then that's just me.

thesockmonsterofdoom Sun 21-Jun-09 08:17:43

we do kind of joke that they are a b it feral (tbh they are, free ran ge is the term I prefer) but I just felt more upset that she would say that to someone who doesnt know them or like children.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sun 21-Jun-09 08:20:25

DId you not stick up for your children? It is one thing for you to say they are feral free range (love that!) but quite another for a friend to slag them off to impress someone else.

I would definitely say something.

sweetfall Sun 21-Jun-09 08:21:03

feral, IMHO, is a positive grin

SoupDragon Sun 21-Jun-09 08:21:51

Bah! You lost me at the "simple housewife" bit.

blinder Sun 21-Jun-09 09:56:14

anti-maternal women often have that holier-than-thou attitude about mums. silly billies! but your BF could have been a bit more sensitive.

i'd be 'slightly aggrieved' too. But then I would encourage one of my feral kids to put snails in her shoes the next time she visited. Mwa haha.

hocuspontas Sun 21-Jun-09 09:59:29

I agree, feral conjures up a positive image of children loving the outdoors and bonding with nature to me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now