Talk

Advanced search

to think that, "Who do you love more - Mummy or Daddy?" is bang out of order.

(19 Posts)
Ninkynork Sat 20-Jun-09 23:12:12

I nearly fell off my chair hearing this said to her gorgeous little boy aged three who was dragged up and forced to cuddle her. It was qualified with, "You love Mummy much more DS, don't you?"

The couple in question aren't separating or divorcing. I always thought that that was the sort of thing you might deliberately avoid saying in such cases in order to not damage the children and never dreamt that it could be said so casually in company.

AIBU?

StayFrosty Sat 20-Jun-09 23:17:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hester Sat 20-Jun-09 23:19:34

eek. That is truly awful.

lagaanisace Sat 20-Jun-09 23:19:42

shock

Meglet Sat 20-Jun-09 23:20:24

sad shock

Ivykaty44 Sat 20-Jun-09 23:22:48

sad bang out of order

CKelpie Sat 20-Jun-09 23:24:48

Oh dear. Poor child. sad

LadyOfWaffle Sat 20-Jun-09 23:25:29

Are you sure it wasn't a 'joke'? If not, it is very sad I don't even go there with DS, and make sure even our house is "mummy's huose, daddy's house, brother's house and my house'. All equal IYSWIM. If that's relevant... [waffle]

Ninkynork Sat 20-Jun-09 23:26:41

Oh good, I'm not alone in being shocked. They have a younger DD as well. We met them in town once and when I remarked on the little girl's pretty haircut she sniggered and said, "Oh don't be silly, I don't know what went wrong with this one, she looks like a dog!"

LadyOfWaffle Sat 20-Jun-09 23:28:09

shocksad

Firawla Sun 21-Jun-09 00:05:50

Yanbu. That is awful.
Even as a "joke" I think its quite in bad taste

sausagerolemodel Sun 21-Jun-09 00:28:05

chips!

Scorpette Sun 21-Jun-09 00:48:31

What an awful bitch! Dunno who I feel more sorry for - He Who Can Do No Wrong being smothered or the little girl who can clearly never match up in the heinous witch's eyes...

lockets Sun 21-Jun-09 01:05:37

Message withdrawn

Alambil Sun 21-Jun-09 01:05:57

daddy or chips
daddy or chips.....

chips!

I often tell DS I don't love him... it's our little joke.

It goes:

DS: I don't love you
me: I don't love you either
DS: I adore you
me: I adore you too

but usually with a pause - if someone heard only the first bit, who know's what they'd think

MaureenMLove Sun 21-Jun-09 08:41:19

Was she dragging him for a cuddle and 'telling' him he loves mummy more than , daddy? Because if she wasn't, then I don't see it as much of a problem tbh. There are ways of saying it though.

I used to do it to DD, as did DH. She is perfectly well adjusted, does not have nightmares, isn't damaged and now at 13, if she wants something, she'll openly say things like, now who loves me more today!' We are a very secure, happy loving family and there's no harm in a little bit of fun.

squeaver Sun 21-Jun-09 08:46:05

I know a couple who do this with their dd. They think it's hilarious hmm

posieparker Sun 21-Jun-09 08:59:45

We ask our children the favourites game...
ice cream or jelly
spagetti or noodles
yellow or red
Park or pool
Mummy or Daddy

all say both for that one, except my dd who sometimes says Daddy!

piscesmoon Sun 21-Jun-09 09:20:04

Dreadful-even as a joke! Very unfair on the DC and I don't think they will have a good relationship in the long term because the mother is too needy.
I can see it happening because people start threads on here all upset because their toddler has said they prefer daddy!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now