Talk

Advanced search

to spend this money now?

(9 Posts)
LightShinesInTheDarkness Sat 20-Jun-09 23:09:38

My Mum is generous - each birthday she gives me money to 'put away' for the DCs. It is for 'when they are older', I think she is envisaging maybe driving lessons, that kind of thing. Over the years their savings accounts have gradually built up to over £1000 each. I've never touched the accounts. Mum never asks what/if I have spent the money on.

Anyway, DCs birthdays (DS will be 8, DD 11) are coming up and Mum has given me £50 each for their accounts.

Both DCs have trips coming up - one to a camp, the other to a PGL-type thing. We are struggling a bit to find the money but I don't want to say 'no'. The combined cost is £400 - do you think its OK to put the £100 towards the costs?

Hassled Sat 20-Jun-09 23:11:30

Absolutely OK - just do it. No need to agonise over the decision - your DCs are "older", and they need the money now. You're doing the right thing.

EdwardBitMe Sat 20-Jun-09 23:13:06

I think it would be fine. It's not as though you are off buying Jimmy Choos with the cash.
It's going towards a trip that the children will enjoy and that is the point of the gift, surely?

mazzystartled Sat 20-Jun-09 23:13:29

I wouldn't, unless there was no way on earth I could scrape it together otherwise.

I think the future means the future.

Maybe you could ask your mum what she thinks.

LightShinesInTheDarkness Sat 20-Jun-09 23:16:02

Mazzy - I feel like you said, the future is not now.

We can find the money, but it will mean going overdrawn - again!

midlandsmumof4 Sat 20-Jun-09 23:23:18

Your mum sounds lovely-don't think she'd mind in the least. I do this for my GD and it wouldn't bother me at all. The money is for the children's benefit & if they need a bit now sowhat. If you are worried-ask your mum. I'm sure she wouldn't object.

LightShinesInTheDarkness Sun 21-Jun-09 00:02:05

midlands - you are right, I think I would feel happier if i asked her.

Firawla Sun 21-Jun-09 00:04:39

I think it would be fine, its not as if you are taking the money and spending it on yourself or wasting it. A trip is something special and surely "worthy" of some of their saved up money. I'm sure your mum would be okay with it

JoPie Sun 21-Jun-09 10:13:19

Thats a bit existentialist..the future is not now? Yes, but, the earlier monies were given in the past, so the future is now, if you see what I mean.

It depends on how much you want to send them on the trips. The money was meant for them, for unspecified things, and you're only guessing as to what she had in mind. Its entirely up to you. I'd use it though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now