Talk

Advanced search

To actuallyl HATE holidays?

(22 Posts)
QuintessentialShadow Sat 20-Jun-09 22:47:47

I am probably a bit of a spoilsport, but I cant stand holidays. I can barely bring myself to pack for a day out, let alone MANY days out.

There is the bag for the flights to pack, plan and pack for 2 adults (lets face it, dh is not going to pack his own stuff) and 2 kids, it is the house to prepare to be left, and locked up, and the cost. The worry of somebody falling ill, or injured on holiday, because that always happens. A holiday just isnt complete unless you have a trip or three to the docs for a course of antibiotics for me, or for one of the dc, an emergency dash to hospital, which always happens. DS1 was admitted to hospital on holiday once, ds2 had a horrid ambulance journey were his heart kept stopping, and he also had 5 stitches above his eye during our last holiday.

I am disheartened. We prepare, we book tickets, we pack, we go, we have a few nice experiences, and a few horrid ones, and then we return, and I have shedloads of laundry, and no money left.

<sigh>

Ivykaty44 Sat 20-Jun-09 22:50:21

YANBU - sad though as I love holidays and look forward to them but if you don't enjoy them then have a good time at home inthe back garden and chill in other ways smile

QuintessentialShadow Sat 20-Jun-09 22:51:18

No, dh is all set, and really really want to go. We did not go last year. Only a few long weekends, and tenting.

TheCrackFox Sat 20-Jun-09 22:58:19

YANBU

I love holidays but out of a family of 4 it is left to the packing fairy (aka me) to do everything. I am exhausted before we even set off.

Then on return the laundry fairy (aka me) has to do it all again. Arrgghh.

I really need a wife. They seem so handy.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sat 20-Jun-09 22:59:18

Sounds like you've had a run of real bad luck whilst on holiday. That's not normal.

Holidays shouldn't be stressful. Apart from the nightmare emergency stuff, how are they? Is there any risk that you might actually enjoy this one?

Bibithree Sat 20-Jun-09 22:59:47

I am inlcined to agree, it's more hassle than rl just in a different place and with fewer amenities.

Ivykaty44 Sat 20-Jun-09 23:02:53

actually on the packing front I dont allow more than a washing basket full for each member of the family - thus three washing loads and a towel load and its done.

Girls pack their own stuff and I do mine smile

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sat 20-Jun-09 23:05:09

Ivy! Torcy. Very good. And the biggest Carrefour in Christendom! smile

<apols QS for hijack>

used2bthin Sat 20-Jun-09 23:07:26

I am not keen on them either atm, DD is still not sleeping well since we got back just over a week ago from ours.

ruddynorah Sat 20-Jun-09 23:09:35

well only pack a pair of speedos for your dh this time..see if that makes him take responsibility for his own packing next time.

stainesmassif Sat 20-Jun-09 23:13:28

I agree, am going to holiday at home for next 10 years or alone in hotels that cater to my every whim.

Katisha Sat 20-Jun-09 23:16:10

Every time we go on holiday I spend the first few days vowing never to bother again.

Mostly because all the planning and booking is always down to me and then DH is still wound up in work mode and won't bloody relax.

If I didn't do it we wouldn't have any holidays and frankly I do tend to wonder why I bother. Except that the DSs like it.

Katisha Sat 20-Jun-09 23:16:41

ALthough DH does do his own packing.

Ivykaty44 Sat 20-Jun-09 23:20:19

Its hugh - never seen one so big smile Glad you liked it!

QuintessentialShadow Sat 20-Jun-09 23:24:28

This holiday is probably not going down in history as fantastic.

We are spending the first week with MIL and her dd in a "health sanatorium" on the north coast of poland. Full board.

The second week we are hiring a stationary caravan of nondescript star rating in an eco campsite, near Hel (note SINGLE l) not far from Gdansk. Which I think will be a hightlight.

The third week, we will "slum it" with our hired fiat punto.

You reckon we will have a good time?

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sat 20-Jun-09 23:24:46

LOL at eroneous "h". That's a completely different thing you're talking about there grin

QS, when are you going and why can't DH pack his own stuff?

QuintessentialShadow Sat 20-Jun-09 23:26:11

See below Mary.

Because I do it, bar his "toiletries". Otherwise there will be no socks, no undies, etc.....

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sat 20-Jun-09 23:26:55

x posts there. "when" is irrelevant. That's such a curious schedule you've got there.

QuintessentialShadow Sat 20-Jun-09 23:28:06

Yes, isnt it just......

themoon Sat 20-Jun-09 23:30:25

oh i so know where you are.

Our first holiday DS broke his leg on the 3rd day and I saw nothing but the inside of Mallorca hospital for the rest of the time. In the meantime, DH and DD suffered food poisoning in the hotel.

We gave it 3 years and then took a posh camping holiday in Northern Spain to break the spell bad worries. Took own car so could come home if anything went wrong. Had fab holiday and never looked back.

Am off to Egypt in two weeks and getting all excited.

Ivykaty44 Sat 20-Jun-09 23:37:21

camando, sandles and limited clothes wink he will only do it once

QuintessentialShadow Sat 20-Jun-09 23:40:56

themoon, I know, I am not a stranger to exotic holidays. I have travelled extensively in northern africa and the middle east, including camping in Egypt, pre kids. And travelled India and Sri Lanka with ds1. We have done the budget holidays, we have done the 5 star resorts, but the last 6 years everything has gone pear shaped... I was looking forward to the kids growing up and taking them to places such as Syria and Jordan, but with our luck? Well, it seems like we never can get past Poland these days....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now