Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To not accept a birthday cake made with year old butter icing that has been left in a garage?

(76 Posts)
iHateDairylea Fri 19-Jun-09 17:52:31

I know that my MIL hates me, but really?

She was very excited to tell me the cake was special because she had used the same icing as the cake from ds's last birthday. Yes you read that right.

I didn't eat any and she has got her knickers in a twist about it. Not surprisingly everybody else declined a slice but no, it is me she is annoyed with.

I am an ungrateful DIL and her ds could have done so much better than me. hmm Perhaps that's a whole new thread.

Just needed to vent although if somebody posts on here telling me it would have been fine I will smother my hat with the icing and eat the thing in one.

Katisha Fri 19-Jun-09 17:53:42

Did you tell her why you wouldn't eat it?

Stretch Fri 19-Jun-09 17:53:47

Nah, you would have been fine, YABU!

wink

iHateDairylea Fri 19-Jun-09 17:54:33

Yes. I told her I quite liked my colon...

StealthPolarBear Fri 19-Jun-09 17:55:17

definitely butter icing rather than that white icing stuff? I know my Grandpa would do something like that with white icing and no-one has died yet, although I'm still a bit shock. Butter icing though - ya DEFINITELY nbu

TrillianAstra Fri 19-Jun-09 17:56:01

Eh?

If someone told me 'it's the same icing' I would assume the same recipe, not the same batch.

twoluvlykids Fri 19-Jun-09 17:56:25

Tell her to eat a slice first, then let you know what happens to her over the next 24 - 48 hours.....or, tell her to stick it where the sun don't shine.....

HecatesTwopenceworth Fri 19-Jun-09 17:56:45

Did she eat a slice herself?

StealthPolarBear Fri 19-Jun-09 17:58:03

good point TA
But a stange thing to say for bog standard butter icing I think - unless a big fuss was made at the time about how wonderful it was?

bangthedrums Fri 19-Jun-09 17:58:35

YANBU did mil have any cake? did your ds have any? i didnt know you could store butter icing for a year!

she sounds like a cow!

iHateDairylea Fri 19-Jun-09 17:58:59

She was too distraught to eat any herself you understand.

It was the butter stuff, ds's cake was slathered in the stuff this had gone a bit more brown in color and had crystalized a bit too.

StealthPolarBear Fri 19-Jun-09 17:59:25

urgh I feel sick

Katisha Fri 19-Jun-09 17:59:30

So this was definitely the same batch of icing that had been kept for a year?

TrillianAstra Fri 19-Jun-09 18:00:22

There's no way butter icing stored for a year would look even vaguely like butter icing. Unless it was frozen.

If it had been frozen I would have eaten it, I am of the belief that everything lasts forever in a freezer.

gigglinggoblin Fri 19-Jun-09 18:01:33

v sorry, but lmao. do you think she did it to cause trouble knowing you would say no?

HeadFairy Fri 19-Jun-09 18:01:45

Urgh! Year old butter icing? Was it blue and furry? YA most definitely NBU

iHateDairylea Fri 19-Jun-09 18:01:54

The same batch. I know because she showed me the the tupperwear pot. I jokingly said we'd have to get someone to test it and she went to the garage to collect it and threw it at me (well at the table)

I have it here and am going to take a photo for you all to see in a moment.

iHateDairylea Fri 19-Jun-09 18:02:40

I will take a photo to show you. No furry stuff at all.

dittany Fri 19-Jun-09 18:04:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Katisha Fri 19-Jun-09 18:04:53

Is she usually ...strange...?

Blu Fri 19-Jun-09 18:06:50

And it wasn't in the freezer?

Why did she keep it in the garage?

She is a loon.

'oh this is special because it is a year past it's sell-by date'

Although maybe the sugar acts as a preservative?

Stretch Fri 19-Jun-09 18:09:18

This thread is strange.........You aren't going to post a picture of soupy are you..hmmgrin

iHateDairylea Fri 19-Jun-09 18:10:29

She keeps lots of stuff in the garage including cheese,vegetables and drinks (there is a door from the kitchen to her garage).

She is really bothersome most of the time but has never been like this in front of an audience.

Can the sugar have preserved it for that long? Surely not butter?

MiniMarmite Fri 19-Jun-09 18:18:22

YANBU

How long ago was DS' birthday?

Looking forward to seeing the picture!

I have a (lovely) cousin who keeps everything for ages and thinks it will be perfectly fine to eat it. I once ate a tart made by her with very fermented home-made mincemeat. I don't even like mincemeat anyway!

GrimmaTheNome Fri 19-Jun-09 18:24:37

I keep food in the garage if it doesn't need fridge or freezer (fruit and tin cans) - cooler and more room. But definitely not butter... butter will surely have gone rancid and have that horrid smell.

Ugh.

I hope her cheese etc is in rodent-proof containers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now