Talk

Advanced search

To get really fed up of people swearing around my DC?

(7 Posts)
memoo Fri 19-Jun-09 17:17:04

I am not Mary Whitehouse and I am not usually offended by swearing in adult only company but four times this week I have been out with my DC and had adults stood only a few feet away using really bad language. I,m not talking about the odd 'shit' or something but proper swear words.

The latest inccident was just now. I nipped to tesco after school with the DC. Afterwards I was stood putting the shopping in the boot with the DC help me.

There were two girls stood by the next car and the language that came out of their mouths was foul!

The conversation was going somewhere along the lines of

"I don't give a f**king shit anyway cos he's a total t**t, and she's a fat bitch"

I am on the verge on starting to tell people to watch their language around my DC. Although I suspect some people might just turn round and tell me to f*ck off!!!

roomforthree Fri 19-Jun-09 17:30:34

YANBU. This pisses grin me off too. DS1 7 said 'fuck' today sad. I swear profusely when in adult-only company, but have no problem refraining in public or in front of my children.

StayFrosty Fri 19-Jun-09 17:34:43

yanbu, this annoys me as well. Esp when dp does it, the big twat.

FlorenceAndtheWashingMachine Fri 19-Jun-09 17:34:44

YANBU. Tell them off. There were some 19/20 year olds in the playground the other day swearing their heads off at great volume and I asked them firmly, but nicely to stop. They did. Today, I glared at a teen in a newsagents who was using the word wanker a lot on the 'phone in front of my four year old and she stopped too.

I do it because I do not want my small children calling anyone a c**t. I can be a sweary Mary myself, but I save it these days for the company of equally sweary friends in dark, enclosed spaces.

memoo Fri 19-Jun-09 17:37:56

I too can swear like a trouper when there are no children around but would never dream of doing it around the DC or anyone elses DC either

discoball Fri 19-Jun-09 17:39:03

YANBU. People swearing around children are totally selfish and self-centred. End of. smile

ChippingIn Fri 19-Jun-09 17:43:40

If they are young I usually say, 'Could you please mind what you say in front of the little ones -- I really don't want them repeating it!' as I think it's important for older children to be aware of younger ones.

However, the LO's are well trained to know that there are words that 'nice little girls don't repeat' and if they say something they don't know 'isn't nice' I just tell them and I don't hear it again (it's working for us so far, touch wood).

It isn't nice and it does make me hmm that some people are lacking such basic social skills, but the kids (sorry, children) will hear it soon enough at school, so it's more important to me, to make the LO's understand that while there are things hear and even say amongst their friends in the playground, there are words I (and other adults) do not want to hear them saying.

I think it's all you can do really, but YANBU to be fed up with people doing it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now