Talk

Advanced search

Teacher eating peanuts

(156 Posts)
Trillian Fri 19-Jun-09 13:31:10

In DS2s class there is a child with a sever nut allergy. The class teacher is off sick so they have had stand in teachers.
Yesterday the teacher they had decided to sit in the class and eat a pack of peanuts shock we are a nut free school so surley someone should have told the teacher this before letting her lose on a class of children including one who could die from just the dust off of a peanut

VinegarTits Fri 19-Jun-09 13:32:59

Maybe the teacher didnt know about the no peanut rule

neenztwinz Fri 19-Jun-09 13:35:25

Yeah someone should have told the teacher. If that was your kid with a severe nut allergy you'd hope every step was being taken to ensure there were no nuts anywhere near.

Sounds like noone told the teacher. Can't believe anyone would do that on purpose if they did know.

I think the school ought to be reminded to inform all supply staff. Does the child's parents know?

jugglingwoman Fri 19-Jun-09 13:40:19

Was it a supply teacher? My husband is a trainee teacher and laughed with a girl who made a 'silly me' joke. He was later told she had slight special needs and they'd been working on her confidence and he could have ruined it all. This was by the teacher who had said 'come into my class' and not told him this. He felt awful and I was furious they didn't think it was important enough to tell a trainee.

I'd complain to the school and ask that everybody who comes into the school knows not to have nuts. But then surely common sense would tell you this anyway.

RumourOfAHurricane Fri 19-Jun-09 13:41:58

Message withdrawn

atworknotworking Fri 19-Jun-09 13:43:33

I'm surprised one of the children didn't say anything, my mindees always mention it if I have two biscuits blush

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 19-Jun-09 13:52:37

how dreadful

hope child is ok

we have one allergic to peanuts at our school and a child had crunchy not cereal for breakie and then played/breathed over the allergic child hmm

he was taken to hospital but is ok

its the schools fault for not mentioning it

but

also the teachers fault

doesnt the temp teacher know most schools ban peanuts hmm

its like me eating peanuts if i worked as temp - bloody stupid

i wouldnt take the risk

onagar Fri 19-Jun-09 14:03:46

The teacher should have been informed of course.

As for the child that needs hospitalising if someone breathes near him who previously ate something that contained nuts. He should not be in school or in public where he might die at any time without some kind of filter/mask to protect him. It is irresponsible.

Trillian Fri 19-Jun-09 14:09:01

It would seem the children in the class at once told the teacher she could not eat them as ****** was allergic. Would seem no one told her it was a nut free school, despite posters all over the place.

Head is aware of what went on.

Just so shock that it could happen

Kimi Fri 19-Jun-09 14:13:41

shock

Rhubarb Fri 19-Jun-09 14:18:57

I used to put nuts in my kids packed lunches. I wasn't thinking at all. But when you don't have kids with allergies, you don't think do you? I was told by ds's TA and as soon as I realised I felt awful. As far as I'm aware neither dd nor ds have children in their classes with nut allergies, but there are one or two children in the school with them.

I consider myself much more informed now. But this kind of thing is easily done. It's not the fault of the teacher at all. If no-one tells you, how do you know?

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 19-Jun-09 14:19:36

we have been given a note from school not to give nut cereal for breakfast, but this mum ignored/forgot hmm and apparently the child didnt brush his teeth either

he has been at school for 5years now and this was the ONLY time he has had a reaction

it must be awful to have such an extreme allergy

Asana Fri 19-Jun-09 15:13:47

At Blondeshavemorefun - I'm guessing the child probably brushed his teeth first thing in the morning before breakfast, like most people do. And to be fair to the mother referred to in your post, she really could have forgotten. In some cases, people don't realise that the food they are eating may contain nuts. Most, if not ALL, cereal packets contain a disclaimer that the cereal may contain traces of nuts, regardless of whether or not it is a traditional "nut" cereal.

I completely understand how serious nut allergies (in fact, all allergies!) are. However, I must say that I would be peeved off if a school could dictate to me what my child could or couldn't eat _at home_ . I'm not saying that I would not try and accommodate such a request where possible, but a lot of things you wouldn't have thought contained nuts do. I'd find myself having to seriously edit and review my weekly shop in minute detail, which would most likely prove completely impractical.

And to the OP, I'm guessing the supply teacher hadn't been told.

LightShinesInTheDarkness Fri 19-Jun-09 15:25:43

..do most schools really ban peanuts?
Ours doesn't.

But there are peanuts in life outside school as well - it must be terrible having to cope with an allergy so severe that even peanut breath could be dangerous.

Kimi Fri 19-Jun-09 15:42:02

I would not change what we eat at home even if the school ask us too, (big crunchy nut fan here) but I make sure nothing with nuts gets taken to school and parties are nut free

angrypixie Fri 19-Jun-09 15:43:59

Why was the teacher eating anything in front of the children? We would have to wait 'til playtime/lunchtime before having a snack!

Thunderduck Fri 19-Jun-09 15:45:16

I don't have a problem with nut bans if there are children with said allergy present in the school, however I don't think it's right for the school to try to dictate what the pupils eat at home.

That said there's no harm in a letter saying if your child has had some form of nuts for breakfast could you please make sure that their face and hands are thoroughly washed afterwards, and their teeth brushed.

NormaSknockers Fri 19-Jun-09 15:48:26

I got asked (very nicely I might add) if I wouldn't mind not sending DD into nursery with Peanut butter sarnies, I felt awful as it hadn't even occured to me that someone in the nursery might have an allergy.

The teacher might not have been aware, think the Head needs to make sure all supply staff are aware of the school rules etc.

2shoes Fri 19-Jun-09 15:52:08

have to say although the op yanbu
I am shocked that a school can dictate whet you feed your child at home
if someone has such a severe alergy how do they ever go out? surely they would have to advoid contact with every one just in case<<<<<<insert puzzeled emotion>>>>>>

pingping Fri 19-Jun-09 16:19:28

I'm sorry but looooool @ Onagar

Its the schools fault not the teachers.

Phoenix4725 Fri 19-Jun-09 17:23:02

i have a ds with a severe allergy and yes if someone has eaten nuts it could potentially prove reaction and it has done.

But what we do now to prevent this kind of reaction is he takes a daily antihistermine does so stopping reaction bfore it starts but his school never banned nuts against other childrens human rights,hmm
to ban them in school

But hes learnt to cope and deals with it himself 99% of time has to as he now old enough not want mum with him

Morloth Fri 19-Jun-09 18:08:56

I am totally fine with the no nut rule at school, we also have a little boy allergic to eggs, so we don't do eggs either. But no chance in hell the school gets to dictate what DS gets for breakfast.

Teacher is mad for eating nuts in a school, even if she/he hadn't been told the rule doesn't everybody know that is a no no?

Personally I think Crunchy Nut Cornflakes and Cocopops should be banned because I have no defences against such deliciousness and cannot buy them at all because I will end up eating the whole sodding box and if I can't have them nobody should. grin

onagar Fri 19-Jun-09 18:13:16

Phoenix4725, that's interesting. I didn't realise antihistermines would work in those extreme cases.

I always find the idea of banning other kids consuming nuts before school a bit strange since just walking down the street you could be passing dozens of people who had eaten nuts recently.

It's not that I would mind making some effort to make life easier for someone, but it sounded like it could never work anyway.

There was some research recently in which they exposed sufferers to tiny quantities of the substance that caused the reaction and helped their bodies become 'used' to them. I don't know enough about it, but if that really works that would be a proper long term solution.

Trillian Fri 19-Jun-09 18:19:59

I really think the teacher should have been told by the head, the child in the class with the allergy is now covered in a rash, poor little child.

It is the heads fault for not making it clear no nuts.

Please don't start the human rights shit, the child has the right to go to school without almost dying, over another child getting to take nuts to school

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now