Talk

Advanced search

to not make my 10 year old daughter wear a cycling helmet?

(360 Posts)
RumourOfAHurricane Fri 19-Jun-09 11:16:34

Message withdrawn

RumourOfAHurricane Fri 19-Jun-09 11:17:08

Message withdrawn

RumourOfAHurricane Fri 19-Jun-09 11:18:43

Message withdrawn

Stretch Fri 19-Jun-09 11:18:55

<<stretch laughs at the irony of shiney donning a hard hat for this thread!!>> grin

nickytwotimes Fri 19-Jun-09 11:19:11

Yabu.
I am quite laid back with a lot of child safety stuff, but anything to do with cars and bikes is VERY important.
Have you seen a kid with a head injury?

katz Fri 19-Jun-09 11:20:43

it has nothing to do with their being cars, its a long way to fall from a bike and can do irreparable damage - get her a helmet and make her wear it.

titchy Fri 19-Jun-09 11:21:04

I'm with you - I only got dcs a helmet a few weeks ago becuase dd was doing cycling proficiency at school and needed one, and ds was doing his cycling badge at cubs and also needed one.

If they cycled on reasonably busy roads then they would have the wear them - there is more traffic than there was when we were young. But if you're in a rural area (we're not rural, but quiet estate near woods) with few cars then I wouldn't worry.

Having said that, I am aware I tend towards the opposite of protectionism and definitely agree children are molly-coddled way too much these days.

Stretch Fri 19-Jun-09 11:21:07

Seriously, I would make her wear a helmet. The damage that can be done when in a collision with a car sad

welshone51 Fri 19-Jun-09 11:22:03

I dont believe in the nanny state either but I think it is always better to be safe rather then sorry with regards to certain aspects of child safety, as your child only needs a simple fall off her bike to sustain a head injury there hasnt even got to be any traffic involved.

It is always best to get her in the habit of wearing one anyway so it is second nature.

Sorry to sound like a right old bore!

RumourOfAHurricane Fri 19-Jun-09 11:22:11

Message withdrawn

katz Fri 19-Jun-09 11:22:25

it doesn't have to involve a car, small child wobbles, hits pot hole and falls of bike and hits head on road = nasty injury that was completely avoidable

titchy Fri 19-Jun-09 11:22:26

Aarrgghh - it's the same distance to fall as it would be if they were skipping along a tarmac pavement and fell over! Unless your children are on penny-farthings...

magnolia74 Fri 19-Jun-09 11:22:36

I never used to make my kids wear one until Dh came off his bike last year, he was not cyclingfast but came off and landed on the side of his head, thank god he had his helmet on as the hospital said he would possibly have been brain damaged due to where he hit his head and from the damage to the helmet.
This was just from hitting a bump in the road and toppling over shock
Not worth it in my opinion smile

posieparker Fri 19-Jun-09 11:22:57

YABU, sorry. Safety for your child is very very important.

If you like you could balance your purchase with a fruit shoot.... just for the good parent/bad parent balance!! wink

katz Fri 19-Jun-09 11:23:06

shine - depends is there a safety net to break her fall and avoid hitting her head on a hard surface?

RumourOfAHurricane Fri 19-Jun-09 11:23:12

Message withdrawn

nickytwotimes Fri 19-Jun-09 11:23:46

Seriously, I do not think that trying to prevent SERIOUS head injury constitutes molly coddling.
Visit A and E at a children's hospital. You will quickly change your mind.

katz Fri 19-Jun-09 11:25:15

titchy - the height may be the same but the angle is different, plus they automatically put hands down to fall when skipping and tend to fall fowards, when coming off a bike its completely different and also speed is a factor

nickytwotimes Fri 19-Jun-09 11:25:57

So shiney, you have sen a kid with a serious head inury but you don't think it's a risk worth avoiding?

Your choice. But since you are asking, it is imo better to avoid the risk.

RumourOfAHurricane Fri 19-Jun-09 11:26:19

Message withdrawn

CurryMaid Fri 19-Jun-09 11:26:37

Weird question.

Course it's irresponsible to not have got her a helmet.

Claire2301 Fri 19-Jun-09 11:27:10

I would always get them to wear a helmet. I completely understand that there are hardly any cars near you but as others say it can be anything, not just cars.

A girl in our village died from being knocked off her bike and the only thing the doctors did say was; had she been wearing a helmet then she almost certainly still be here today. She had a helmet at home, but thought it was un-cool to wear one.

It really, really isn't worth taking that risk.

Knickers0nMaHead Fri 19-Jun-09 11:27:27

i think yabu. I hate seeing kids on bikes without helmets. Im not in with the nanny state either and domt like kids being wrapped in cotton wool.

Thunderduck Fri 19-Jun-09 11:27:45

YABVU. No helmet no bike imho.

The day could come when you're very grateful for the helmet.

A fall from a bike is enough to kill if her head strikes the ground.

sleepwhenidie Fri 19-Jun-09 11:27:48

Agree with nickytwotimes, this isn't something to regard as being mollycoddling - and I would worry just as much about DC's on bikes on quiet country lanes as on busy roads> The lanes are just where you get --inconsiderate wa**s-- some drivers assuming there's nothing on the road and therefore driving like lunatics - if they came round a bend and encounter children on bikes and there was an accident involving DD, imagine how you would feel if your she wasn't wearing a helmet sad. I also think it is different now compared to when we were young, lots more cars and lots more fast cars and irresponsible drivers. IMO bike helmets should be a legal requirement for kids and adults and they are definitely a habit worth forming in childhood to carry through the rest of life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now