Talk

Advanced search

To think "neutral" decor is boring?

(13 Posts)
CherryChoc Fri 19-Jun-09 11:06:54

I am so fed up with beige carpets and magnolia walls We rent and don't know when we will next move so it seems pointless to decorate. What is wrong with tasteful decoration which isn't brown, beige and cream??

moopymoo Fri 19-Jun-09 11:09:01

well yes it is but I am decorating coward. my pet hate is one 'feature' wall of wallpaper though. funky accessories and furniture with lots of colour? I love paul smith type stripes.

Fimbo Fri 19-Jun-09 11:10:31

My house is all white and I love it. Although my neighbour has the same house type as mine hers is magnolia and she always thinks mine looks bigger internally than hers.

MorningTownRide Fri 19-Jun-09 11:11:58

YANBU - at the mo we have a wine coloured carpet with magnolia walls. There is a hideous stone fire place that extends half way across the sitting room. Gah!

The stone tiles on the floor the kitchen are orange....

If I ever own a house there will be no carpet and I'll paint everything rainbow stripes!!!!

Pinkjenny Fri 19-Jun-09 11:18:19

YANBU - my house is all magnolia and white, and whilst I loved it when we first decorated, now I think, 'God, this is so dull'.

Like moopymoo - am decorating coward.

ThePhantomPlopper Fri 19-Jun-09 12:24:20

I love my all white house.

We have lots of textures and accessories to make it more homely. We did the walls around the wooden floor which is light and has a white tinge to it. I love it.

Get some bright cushions and rugs.

mumblechum Fri 19-Jun-09 12:32:55

YANBU. Too much cream gives me a boredom headache.

WowOoo Fri 19-Jun-09 12:36:40

I usually agree. Ours is lovely and colorful.

But, visited a friends' house and it was all white and it just looked so light, airy, modern and lovely. Didn't expect to love it but I did.

They have no kids and said ours was better left as it was until children are older.

ninedragons Fri 19-Jun-09 12:39:06

YANBU. I was looking through a home magazine earlier today and the owners had been SO stringent about ensuring that every single thing in their house was either black, white or silver that it was really unsuccessful. It was a beautiful house full of beautiful stuff, but it looked like a hotel because it had no personality *at all*.

BCNS Fri 19-Jun-09 12:40:00

ours is all cotton coloured ( ie a light cream).. I have different colour rugs and other soft furnishings so bring colour into the house.. whilst keeping the light and airy.

summer Is all light colours.. winter is darker warmer colours.. and the I have getting bored colour themes too

steamedtreaclesponge Fri 19-Jun-09 12:43:49

YABU - would you prefer swirly 70s carpets and clashing curtains?

It's easy enough to brighten up a room that's painted dull colours - pictures, throws, rugs, ornaments...

my house is full of tat objets d'art brought back from travelling grin

gagamama Fri 19-Jun-09 12:46:14

My walls are all white (except kids' rooms) but that's mainly because I am slightly compulsive about buying soft furnishings. If my walls are white I can have one colour scheme for a while and then change to a new one without having to redecorate. Plus white paint is cheaper AND you can just paint over small dirty marks without it looking all patchy.

So yes, YABU. My white walls are to STOP me getting bored!

HecatesTwopenceworth Fri 19-Jun-09 20:37:16

No, you're not unreasonable, you're allowed to feel any way you like about it!

I happen to disagree - I have cream in my living room, can you tell grin I like it because I've been able to have bright red cushions and red rug and a very red picture (painted by my sister as it happens) right in the middle of the room and the contrast looks fab. That's what I like about cream, it allows you a really bold contrast that looks striking.

my bathroom is bubble gum pink - why I hear you cry, why in the name of god... no reason, just for funsies grin

My kitchen is sort of terracotta, the hallway is green, kids room is blue, stairs and landing are cream (cos they are quite dark)

I love my living room, with its cream walls and ceiling, white skirters, doors, coving and cornice and bright red touches! I don't think it's boring at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now