Talk

Advanced search

to want to buy a new tent?

(15 Posts)
SammyK Fri 19-Jun-09 08:49:15

I really want one! grin

Here are my reasons,

- we currently have a 4 man, 2 bedroom tent for me, DP, DSS1 and DSS2 - yes, FIVE of us.

- I am becoming a foster carer and will be adding a group of 2 siblings to the mix at some point in the next few months, bringing us to a family of 7 for weekends and holidays

- we camp a lot so will get our wear out of it

- we are camping this weekend and last time we camped I had a panicky moment thing where I woke up all claustrophobic with DP next to me and DS on top of me hmm

- my last reason is a bit pathetic but I'm putting it anyway, there are other people we know going camping this weekend who all have big new tents and I am sick of them and their superior attitudes and snidey comments. I would ignore this if we didn't needa bigger tent BTW.

So what's the verdict?

fucksticks Fri 19-Jun-09 08:53:36

IF YOU can afford it then buy it!
If you dont have the money available but would prioritise the new tent above other things, then cut back on those other things and buy it!
If you REALLY cant afford it, then make do with one you have! (or buy cheap small one and de camp one or two of kids into that as an 'adventure')

fucksticks Fri 19-Jun-09 08:55:32

also you, DP DSS1 and DSS2 are 4 people, not 5 - have you misplaced a child? grin

SammyK Fri 19-Jun-09 08:57:26

I could do the second of your options FS, spend on tent and cut back for a month, well worth it IMO. smile

Am not planning on spending hundreds, will have a £200 budget

thinking of going to tent shop now . . .

DP has left the decision to me. I think this is so I cxan't mention money negatively for a while,and if the tent I choose is bad I get the blame. Also think he is fed up of showing him one on ebay! blush grin

SammyK Fri 19-Jun-09 09:03:10

Ha ha yes I have misplaced my own DS! Poor kid! grin we have:

DS 4yrs
DSS2 12yrs
DSS1 13 yrs

Peachy Fri 19-Jun-09 09:10:37

YANBU

if you can aford then why not? if it were shoes you'd ahve a hundred posts atm saying yes

and a four man won't cater for 7 at any stretch

recommend Ontario 8 for your size of group btw- we'reafamily of six and could easily have fitted another in the tent

SammyK Fri 19-Jun-09 09:13:34

Thanks,

I am actually very bad at deciding to buy new things - your shoe anology made me laugh as I have big holes in my shoes before I replace them! shock I don't know why I'm like this but probably due to having nothing as a kid and seeing my mum struggle with money.

Will look up ontario8, are they expensive though?

Peachy Fri 19-Jun-09 09:25:14

Ontario is excellent value for what it is- and you can buy some bits (porch etc) as an add on later.

Consider one on Ebay as well, we always sell old (I say old, usually 1 season) tents on there and there can be some excellent buys through proper ebay shops

Peachy Fri 19-Jun-09 09:28:21

first link I clicked but cheaper than Ebay!!!! look about as well for package offers

Pyrocanthus Fri 19-Jun-09 10:10:26

You sound as if you'll need a marquee soon. I managed to pick up a good 9-berth tent in a clearance sale last summer. There are only four of us, but it made such a difference to our camping holiday - easier to find stuff and keep organized, room to sit inside in inevitable duff weather. I was far more relaxed than on previous camping expeditions. Get as much space as you can afford, but be aware that a few campsites charge extra for or don't allow tents over a certain size.

Peachy Fri 19-Jun-09 12:56:17

Absolutely, some sites can be awkward (I would udnerstand if we were 2 in a 8 man tent buyt usually we also pay a per head fee after all).

there are some sites which won't allow more than 6 in a single tent as well- fiorest holidays are one (oofically, no idea bout practice).

The Onatrio meets C&CC guidelines which is handy, however if you do use forest sites or have a fave site check their max occupancy- it may be that a pup tent is better (Or, as we would do, pitch the pp tent but all sleep in the main unit wink)

makipuppy Fri 19-Jun-09 13:19:04

I have no views on tents, but i just wanted to say how brilliant you are becoming a foster carer. We do lots of this in my greater family - we all spend as much time with them as we can and its massively rewarding.

If it was down to me you'd be upgraded to a yurt grin

SammyK Fri 19-Jun-09 14:23:43

Sorry I couldn't reply but I've been out to buy a tent! grin grin grin

I couldn't decide between the khyam ontario and the vango tigress, got to the till with the ontario and it had the wrong price on, making it same price as the vango! So I bought the vango, and got a table and chairs set for half price too.

Thanks makipuppy, it just feels like the right thing to do if you know what I mean, we have a close extended family too and feel we have a lot to offer to kids who can't be with their parents.

Ah! So happy with my tent, now just need the rain to stop. hmm grin

Peachy Fri 19-Jun-09 14:24:38

Ah you'll be fine with a Vango, another excellent brand.

Enjoy!

SammyK Fri 19-Jun-09 14:26:27

Our favourite camsite won't have a problem with the tent, and our other regular camping destination is a farmer's field, a big group of us go with our own tents and a marquee and we all throw some money in a tin for farmer's favourite charity. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now