Talk

Advanced search

to imagine I can manage with just hand luggage for me and my e 3 y o?

(17 Posts)
lyra41 Thu 18-Jun-09 13:17:22

I am heading to spain to stay w my in laws next week. I was considering just taking hand luggage for myself and my 3 y o. i was going to get him one of those ride on TRUCKI bags. Ha anyone got one? Are they any good? Would I be able to fit light packing for a 3 y o for 6 nights? i.e. 4 t shirts, 2 trousers, wet suit, 2 pjs, 6 nappies, 2 cardi's. What do you think?

Jackstini Thu 18-Jun-09 13:19:01

If you can do washing every day then maybe...
My 3 yo could go through that in a day with playing on hols and eating out! blush

dilemma456 Thu 18-Jun-09 13:21:30

Message withdrawn

dilemma456 Thu 18-Jun-09 13:23:12

Message withdrawn

stinky Thu 18-Jun-09 13:24:18

yes you could easily manage. We have done two trips like this and managed with ease (and I'm not the lightest traveller!!).

silverfrog Thu 18-Jun-09 13:26:59

we went on holiday last year (16 days) with just one suitcase, and then hand luggage each. the suitcase was only needed because the dds have food intolerances, and we had to take a fair amount of foodstuff with us.

so, we went with: 2 x wheeled suitcases (cabin baggaage size) and 2 x trunkis (one each for dds, one packed with toys for the plane - 12 hour flight - and one with food for the plane because of intolerances). in dh & my cabin bag we managed to pack 4x changes of clothes for each of us, plus swim gear.

I htink you should be able to manage, especially if you can have access to a washing machine during stay.

stripeypineapple Thu 18-Jun-09 13:27:03

We only ever take hand luggage because Ryanair are such overcharging bastards and it riles me to pay to take my clothes with me.

As long as you have a washing machine and can pack light then hand luggage is fine, especially as only for a week, we go for a fortnight and it's no problem.

Beachcomber Thu 18-Jun-09 13:31:25

I manage to go to Scotland for three weeks at a time with 2 kids and just hand luggage although obviously we have access to a washing machine. Also Spain will be hot so you won't need bulky things.

I would also advise a small wheely suitcase rather than a trunki thing. My kids (5yo and 3yo) have one each and they really help as they are proud to pull them along. It's amazing how much you can get in them.

saintmaybe Thu 18-Jun-09 13:34:42

Thing is you then can't take much in the wayof cosmetics, shampoo, anything sharp etc, and it all has to fit into one of those little plastic bags. so ask your ILs to get those things for you?

doobry Thu 18-Jun-09 13:42:43

Trunkis are fabulous! Having done the small tired child through the airport thing several times pre-trunki I wouldn't be without it now. The child can scoot them along themselves, pull them along themselves, or you can pull them (which is what we normally do. Happy child = much less stress! They've always got somewhere to sit and if they're sat on there, they're less likely to wander off.

As for hand baggage, I'm sure you'd be fine as long as you have the use of a washing machine. Personally I think I'd rather take 1 suitcase than trying to squeeze anything in, but I can see the appeal of not having to do the whole baggage collection thing.

screamingabdab Thu 18-Jun-09 13:43:56

A couple of years ago, myself, DH and 2 DSs travelled to France (in-laws) with only hand luggage. It was absolutely fine. Being disciplined about what you pack makes you realise how unnecessary most stuff is.

Get toiletries out there, and do a bit of washing if you need to.

Not sure about those Trucki bags - could be a hindrance if there's only you to control your DD and she wants to whizz off. They are also quite expensive, and not all that big.

I'd go for a pullalong suitcase for you, and either one for your DD, (my DS2 had one I got v cheaply from Sainsburys) or another bag (eg a holdall) that you can attach to the handle of your suitcase.

screamingabdab Thu 18-Jun-09 13:45:55

Just a question - can 1 person pull a suitcase and a Trunki at the same time ?)

doobry Thu 18-Jun-09 13:55:27

Just a question - can 1 person pull a suitcase and a Trunki at the same time ?

Absolutely! And as long as you've got hold of the lead you've got control!

oldraver Fri 19-Jun-09 00:29:37

Not sure I could manage it. DS's suitcase is up to 14kg already grin

lyra41 Fri 19-Jun-09 14:56:49

I got a rucksac cabin sized bag for me and a trunki for ds. here's hoping we'll be ok! i think so. Ds adores the trunki and he's packed it already. we do have access to a washing machine, and by the sounds of the weather, we'll spend most of our time in our swim suits anyway.

thanks for all your advise everyone.

lyra41 Fri 19-Jun-09 14:57:29

i mean advice

NormaSknockers Fri 19-Jun-09 15:11:48

I think you'd be ok, could always wash them out if need be wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now