Talk

Advanced search

To Think The Occasional Greggs Sausage Roll Aint that Bad?

(119 Posts)
madameovary Thu 18-Jun-09 10:43:34

Posting this because I was shamed out my usual judgeyness yesterday.
I had just been to Greggs and bought a sausage roll. Standing at the bus stop a mum in front me with two kids had also been to Greggs and was rummaging in the bag to give her purchase to the kids.
I thought "I bet they're sausage rolls" because she was telling them they might be hot. They were.
I moved aside to let a buggy pass and saw the wee girl, an absolutely gorgeous blonde thing about 2-3. Her older brother was also tucking in. The wee girl smiled at me. I said "They're nice arent they?"
Then the wee girl held out her sausage roll to me with a huge grin.
DD does this - sharing.
I said "No thats ok look I've got one!"
I was quite touched. I looked at the Mum, who was a wee bit harrassed and saw a Mum trying to give some much needed calories to her kids. She smiled and made an indulgent comment about her DD liking to make a mess.

I felt ashamed TBH. Whats wrong with the occasional sausage roll anyway? Better that than sweets.

MrsMcCluskey Thu 18-Jun-09 10:45:24

Absolutely nothing wrong whatsover.
Have never understood the big MN horror at them.
As a treat they are fine, i am partial to one now and again myself.

ThePhantomPlopper Thu 18-Jun-09 10:45:41

Mmmmm Greggs sausage rolls. <drools>

Absolutely nothing wrong with giving your DC a sausage roll once in a while.

pjmama Thu 18-Jun-09 10:46:54

I've never really understood the sausage roll snobbery thing - I think they're yummy, especially when followed with a fresh cream apple turnover. Everything in moderation!

Knickers0nMaHead Thu 18-Jun-09 10:47:03

i had two yesterday!

MrsMcCluskey Thu 18-Jun-09 10:47:48

ooohhh pjmama now you're talking!
grin

MaryAnnSingleton Thu 18-Jun-09 10:50:28

nothing wrong at all,it's a boring old MN standard thing,to be snobby about them and fruit shoots or whatever - I always want to say get over yourselves

GetOrfMoiLand Thu 18-Jun-09 10:54:12

I actually really like Gregg's sausage rolls. I used to treat myself quite often. They are so salty and greasy grin.

Also Gregg's sandwiches were good as well, when i worked in town I much preferred Gregg's to Boots, Tesco or M&S.

Have never understood the MN snobbery either. I used to give dd a gingerbread man when she was a toddler, and very happy she was too smile

Bucharest Thu 18-Jun-09 10:56:26

Dd and I have a hot one (not Gregg's though, but a similar sort of place, the queue is always too long in Gregg's) whenever we go shopping (ie every Saturday)

I'm more sniffy about McD and KFC though....I s'pose I see a sausage roll as something quintessentially English comfort foody, rather than divilbread.....

noddyholder Thu 18-Jun-09 10:59:54

They are revolting,Sorry just my opinion but they are full of saturated fat and they smell awful.nothing wrong with a decent sausage roll though smile

PuppyMonkey Thu 18-Jun-09 11:02:03

I like Ginsters too. grin

Stigaloid Thu 18-Jun-09 11:03:24

YANBU - yum

roulade Thu 18-Jun-09 11:06:08

A little bit of what you fancy does you good. It's too much that causes you problems. Everything in moderation i always say smile

junglist1 Thu 18-Jun-09 11:06:34

I don't like Greggs sausage rolls, you can see bits of jelly. I think I kicked the whole thing off originally by ranting about them on another thread a while back blush. I love their custard and blackcurrant pastries though!! Sorry ladies!

GentlyDidIt Thu 18-Jun-09 11:07:54

madameovary what a lovely, generous post!

Although YABU in that I am now aching for a Greggs sausage roll and the nearest one is at least 3 miles away grin

madameovary Thu 18-Jun-09 11:26:44

I forgive you junglist grin
GentlyDidIt I want one too...

PigeonPair Thu 18-Jun-09 11:34:11

Oh the smell of Greggs when you walk past......

Morloth Thu 18-Jun-09 11:59:25

A sausage roll is supposed to be full of saturated fat, fat makes food taste good.

It has to have a huge smear of tomato sauce on top for my taste, like all the way along....mmmm now I want a sausage roll.

I have never understood the "all or nothing" crowd. We eat an excellent diet 85% of the time. The rest I leave up to what looks delish regardless of fat/salt/sugar.

MrsMcCluskey Thu 18-Jun-09 14:14:31

I am quite partial to a Steak bake from Greggs too.

AMumInScotland Thu 18-Jun-09 14:29:57

I prefer the chicken bakes!

Rhubarb Thu 18-Jun-09 14:34:40

Only if you give them a fruit shoot as well.

giraffesCantRunA10k Thu 18-Jun-09 14:34:44

Before I was a veggie I used to love them. Now if they made a vegetarian one...<drool>

Frasersmum123 Thu 18-Jun-09 14:44:48

The Cheese and Onion pasties are lovely from Greggs, as ar the rock cakes

Stayingsunnygirl Thu 18-Jun-09 15:39:28

The bakers opposite the school gates where my dses used to go to school made the best sausage rolls and doughnuts. It was difficult forcing myself to walk past the door on the way home from dropping them to school, and even harder to drag them past on their way home!!

And I really really fancy a sausage roll right now.

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 18-Jun-09 15:50:33

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now