Advanced search

AIBU to be raging at my DH?

(45 Posts)
missydissy Wed 17-Jun-09 16:30:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RealityIsMyOnlyDelusion Wed 17-Jun-09 16:34:22

Message withdrawn

Morloth Wed 17-Jun-09 16:35:14

I would tell him what he could bloody well do with his dinner jacket.

Lulumama Wed 17-Jun-09 16:35:44

I would be irritated and also wondering if he got the date wrong on purpose

having said that, glitzy parties aren't all they are cracked up to be. DH goes to lots, i stay at home or go out with my friends. much more fun to spend the evening with people you know and care for and want to chat to !

BitOfFun Wed 17-Jun-09 16:37:43

What a thoughtless twatty knobjerk thing to do! I would be fuming...

Lulumama Wed 17-Jun-09 16:38:35

unless he is embarassed he f*cked up and is now being defensive?

or he is a thoughtless knobjerk

purpleduck Wed 17-Jun-09 16:39:11

YA DEF NU
Poor you - my dh broke a similar promise to me last year, and I am still cheesed off.
Hope he makes it up to you in a BIG way.

BTW - is he allocated a certain number of tickets or something...?
Can't he take you AND xyz?

makedoandmend Wed 17-Jun-09 16:42:07

YANBU I'd be furious - and probably quite hurt.

Do you think it is an oversight or on purpose?
If it's the former then you need to let him know how hurt you're feeling, if it's the latter you need to find out why - it could be something really simple like he doesn't feel comfortable schmoozing or doing business while you're there. To be fair partner-attended work do's can be hard work - I used to work in the same place as my dh (he joined after me) and I sometimes preferred the do's when he wasn't there - purely because I could fully have my business head on rather than half business half domestic.

Hope you sort it out though

missydissy Wed 17-Jun-09 16:42:28

BennyAndJoon Wed 17-Jun-09 16:42:51

What BoF said

bigchris Wed 17-Jun-09 16:43:53

could you have got a babysitter on such short notice?

BennyAndJoon Wed 17-Jun-09 16:44:09

Do you have a kipper you could gently rub around the inside of the dinner jacket's collar? wink

missydissy Wed 17-Jun-09 16:45:05

JemL Wed 17-Jun-09 16:45:36

The worst bit about your post was the fact he rang to check his dinner jacket was clean. My chin hit the desk!

Yanbu. You aren't insisting on going every time - just to be taken along now and again is perfectly reasonable, especially if partners CAN be taken.

BitOfFun Wed 17-Jun-09 16:47:24

Wot BennyandJoon said! grin

Paolosgirl Wed 17-Jun-09 16:47:44

I'd be furious too - YA definitely NBU.

I take it his dinner jacket is not clean? wink grin

missydissy Wed 17-Jun-09 16:48:05

RealityIsMyOnlyDelusion Wed 17-Jun-09 16:48:38

Message withdrawn

Lulumama Wed 17-Jun-09 16:49:50

i hope he thinks to make it up to you

he should take you out somewhre special , just the two of you

Rollergirl1 Wed 17-Jun-09 16:50:11

Would agree with Lulumama in that you're not really missing much. Generally speaking said glitzy party's consist solely of pissed/coked up media buffoons making passes at their graduate assistants and gossiping about which media director is fucking who. With a few c-list celebs thrown in for good measure. All held at the nowhere near as achingly hip as it thinks it is latest venue in town. Also just wondering if your DH is new to the industry? My DH also works in Media and has done for the last 15 years. He can hardly be bothered with them nowadays and finds them a total arse-ache.

minouminou Wed 17-Jun-09 16:51:20

Hey, don't be thinking that, MD. It's possible he's uncomfortable, as a previous poster said, because he's got to be his "job self", having to big himself up in front of people while you, the person he has a morning wee in front of, is stood watching.
I can sympathise with him, but would probably explain this to my DP. I can understand his feelings, and I don't think there's anything suspect going on, just a bit of insensitivity to your feelings.

cyteen Wed 17-Jun-09 16:52:27

I think you should get an early night and 'accidentally' leave the chain on/deadbolt locked/chair wedged against front door.

A night curled up in the flowerbeds might give him time to think on wink

minouminou Wed 17-Jun-09 16:54:21

Oh yeah, he's a knobwad, but his knobwad-ness is about him, not you.

missydissy Wed 17-Jun-09 16:54:36

minouminou Wed 17-Jun-09 16:57:39

You need to befriend one of his female colleagues (ideally a gobby one) and get her to give him a secondary bollocking at his desk after you've done it over the phone. Works for me - soon bursts any bubbles of self-important stroppiness.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now