Talk

Advanced search

to want to go to the gym while signed off sick?

(8 Posts)
giraffesCantRunA10k Wed 17-Jun-09 06:54:17

I can't decide on the moral side of this. In my head if you are ill, you are ill. You stay in bed and rest and get better. However I have a badly injured wrist (its not painful just now though, but am not allowed to use it as its damaged internally x-rays shown) and need to wait for an operation.

I live 5 mins from a gym and I already have a DD for it so I am paying even if I don't go. I am training to run the 10k for Tommys the baby charity in September and am keen to keen up training. I am not allowed to work as my job is very physical and involves a lot of lifting - an absolute no no. I want to do some time on the treadmill and on the bike (the low down one).

Aside from the 10k training I also feel I may go stirr crazy if I have to stay in and I want to be in good physical shape for the op, where as if I stay in watching day time TV I will be more encouraged to munch rubbish all day.

So AIBU to want to go to the gym while signed off sick?

saadia Wed 17-Jun-09 06:57:48

yanbu at all, get to the gym smile

Pan Wed 17-Jun-09 07:03:17

there's nothing wrong at all with this giraffe. The gym does not undermine the purpose of your absence to recuperate. If you were proposing to do something that was in contravention of the objective of getting better, or, something which you were being paid to do but were claiming you couldn't do it, then it would be a diffent matter. There is no morality in question here. I write as a leader of a large team of multi-grade staff. IF any of them were in your position Iwouldn't have a problem.

LovingTheRain Wed 17-Jun-09 07:41:30

No yanbu, get to the gym and enjoy yourself

Morloth Wed 17-Jun-09 07:50:37

My only concern would be the jolting of the wrist when you run.

TigersChick Wed 17-Jun-09 07:53:59

YANBU - totally agree with the others.
However, others may not. I knew a teacher once who was off work with ME. She was seen by some children at the gym and a few parents complained to the school hmm They were quickly put right by the head but it might be worth being prepared, just in case someone from work sees you who doesn't know your circumstances.

Good luck for the run, hope your wrist is better soon.

NorthernLurker Wed 17-Jun-09 07:56:36

I think you need to protect your wrist - would it be appropriate to wear it in a sling?

Being signed off sick doesn't mean you can't go out but we live in a cynical world and if any of your colleagues see you at the gym apparently in perfect health then it is going to piss them off. If you can show in some way that your wrist is knackered then I think you will avoid any possible embarassment. It's not a problem for your employer - as long as you don't aggravate the injury and stay off longer grin

belgo Wed 17-Jun-09 08:04:13

In belgium sick notes specify whether or not you have to stay at home sick or if you can go out and do things. That's what you need.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now