Talk

Advanced search

To make my 3 and 4 year olds tidy their playroom

(8 Posts)
Pennies Tue 16-Jun-09 19:25:32

My two are both very capable at tidying up their playroom. I've seen them do it numerous times. It is their only chore.

Tonight they have been asked repeatedly, with increasing bribery, annoyance and ire on my part and they just won't do it. So they're in bed without a story.

AIBU?

mylifemykids Tue 16-Jun-09 19:26:58

Not at all unreasonable!

Pennies Tue 16-Jun-09 19:36:09

Phew. Had a 'God I'm a crap mum" moment just now.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 16-Jun-09 20:20:42

yanbu

as you said they are more than capable of tidying up

my dc have to tidy up playroom before or after tea(i will help them but wont do it all) and needs to be tidy before watching tv - they are 3.5 and 6

if they are slow, then they do it after bath

if they are very slow, then no tv and just a cuddle/book and bed

ThingOne Tue 16-Jun-09 20:29:01

Mine are three and five. Last week I threatened to throw away what wasn't put back in the playroom before bedtime. I posted on here and someone, ever so gently, pointed out that maybe I was expecting just a little bit too much from my three year old. Can you imagine it? Subtle, fair cop IABU responses wink.

DH does bedtime stories and it's his favourite carrot and stick.

jugglingwoman Tue 16-Jun-09 20:33:06

Hell no you're not being unreasonable-start now!

I acquired DSS when he was 7 and he couldn't understand why he was meant to hang his coat up. Told me he had 'such a hard life' once when I asked if he'd hang his coat up and put his shoes away. So, I told him what I had to do in my day (including taking him to school, working, food shopping in lunch hour, cooking and washing up in the evening and trumped it with 'put up with whingy lazy child'). He didn't complain again grin.

Stick to your guns and they'll give in. Then they won't even realise they're doing it, it'll be habit. My DSS now puts things away even when he's not asked. I just wish that DH and his parents had started it earlier as my life was a constant battle for 3 months over it!

traceybath Tue 16-Jun-09 20:35:14

YADNBU.

I have also been known to get visiting children to help tidy up before they go home especially if they've trashed it.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 16-Jun-09 20:42:14

thing one - i obv didnt see that and so didnt reply

or i would have agreed with you

most 3yrs at at nursery and have to tidy up there, so can do it at home

as i said i am happy to help but WONT do it all

mine have got a lot better since puppy came, as anything left he would chew

so have lost a few lego models etc but has made them better

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now