Talk

Advanced search

not to want my dd in the same flat as a staff/collie dog?

(5 Posts)
mum23monkeys Tue 16-Jun-09 19:24:31

dd (2 1/2) is often looked after by a really really lovely babysitter. I have no family here and she is the only girl I trust implicitly with all 3 of my children. I've known her for years and she will put mine all to bed, have them for whole days, and is generally a unique and crucial part of my support network. (no family here, and dh works abroad a lot).

She sometimes takes my youngest dd to her flat, which she moved into about a year ago with her boyfriend. They have recently acquired (from another friend) a dog, a staffordshire bull terrier collie mix. She adores the dog and is adamant it would never hurt anyone, it's just a softie etc etc.

I'm really not comfortable about it. At all. But I don't want to lose the babysitter's friendship and help. She really thought I was over-reacting when I found out last night what the dog's breed was, so I didn't say too much. I want to work out what is the right approach before upsetting people.

So, aibu in wanting to say that dd cannot be in the flat when the dog is there. End of. It's what I want to do, but I don't want to bu.

wotulookinat Tue 16-Jun-09 19:27:49

I have two staff crosses, and I NEVER leave them alone with my son, who is nearly three.

I would be extremely dubious about leaving my child in the care of another person with a dog. You can never trust any dog 100%.

Would it be possible for her to just look after your dd in your home?

mum23monkeys Tue 16-Jun-09 19:43:26

yes, normally she does, but as she knows us so well now, I don't mind if she looks after dd and also potters around doing her other bits and pieces - takes her to the supermarket, meets her friends for coffee etc. That's all fine. But can I put my foot down about the dog? Or am I being irrational? (I was brought up with springer spaniels so not really v knowledgeable about staff dogs, except what I hear on the news.

captainpeacock Tue 16-Jun-09 19:45:53

We home a staffie while the owners are on holiday. We home many different breeds, but I love the staffie more than any other. However, my dcs are 11 and 13 and he can sometimes get over excited and has torn my ds's sweatshirt when playing with him. I would not have agreed to have him if I had young children and sometimes, even at their ages I have to step in to calm him down.

wotulookinat Tue 16-Jun-09 19:46:06

I'd be concerned about the collie side too, not just the staff!
I think you are not being irrational. To be honest, I would not volunteer to look after another child in my home because of my dogs (and the rabbit can be a vicious bitch as well!!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now