Talk

Advanced search

to think it serves D right for getting her mnobile confiscated but also a little hacked off that now she has to spend a week without one.

(56 Posts)
EccentricaGallumbits Tue 16-Jun-09 17:33:13

DD was texting in class so has has her mobile confiscated. Bloody good thing too. May teach her not to do it again.

on the other hand she now has to walk to and from school (2 miles each way) on her own without a mobile, in case of emergencies, for the rest of the week.

Perhaps a light beating and allowing her to keep the mobile would have been a more suitable punishment. At least then I wouldn't have to worry about her being abducted or breaking her legs on the way to school.

I'm sleep deprived and confused.

I am sure the teacher was on the phone to all the peadophiles (sp!) and kidnappers in the area as soon as class was finished and they will be lying in wait.

claricebeansmum Tue 16-Jun-09 17:36:02

Can you negotiate with school - she hands it in to the office on arrival and collects on departure?

What sort of journey is it where she could break both her legs? Do you live on a mountain ridge? wink

foxytocin Tue 16-Jun-09 17:37:01

a week's bus pass?

until the days of mobiles lots of kids walked 2 mi to and from school w/out parents worrying excessively about abduction.

foxytocin Tue 16-Jun-09 17:38:15

no clarice. no 1 would be a pain in the arse for staff.

seeker Tue 16-Jun-09 17:38:55

<seeker takes eccentrica gently by the hand sits her down and mixes her a pangalactic gargle blaster>

Now you know she isn't going to be abducted or break her legs on the way to school, don't you? She'll be fine - did you have a phone? No you didn't. And were you abducted or did you break your legs? No? Me neither.

Drink up and I'll get you another one.

claricebeansmum Tue 16-Jun-09 17:39:17

Well she's on her own then!

She'll be fine...

screamingabdab Tue 16-Jun-09 17:40:03

I used to walk 10 miles to school every day WITH broken legs, and I didn't have a mobile wink

EccentricaGallumbits Tue 16-Jun-09 17:41:18

but she might fall over or get lost!

foxytocin Tue 16-Jun-09 17:43:21

knee pads and gps.

screamingabdab Tue 16-Jun-09 17:43:36

I fell over a LOT when I was a child. A mobile never saved me. I once got lost and I went into a shop and asked a shop assistant to help me.

EccentricaGallumbits Tue 16-Jun-09 17:45:31

so we think it'll be fine then?

and confiscation as punishment better than beating?

SerendipitousHarlot Tue 16-Jun-09 17:47:43

I thought they only confiscated them until the parents went in to pick it up?

EccentricaGallumbits Tue 16-Jun-09 17:52:42

kerist . between being busy, tired and monumentally forgeful she'd never get it back if she had to wait for me to claim it.

SerendipitousHarlot Tue 16-Jun-09 17:54:29

lol. Aw bless ya. She'll be ok.

You can confiscate AND beat her it doesn't have to be either/or

zipzap Wed 17-Jun-09 00:10:24

how many times has she actually needed to use her mobile on her walks recently? If she has used it once in a month then it is probably not a big deal; if she calls three times a week then it is a much bigger deal!

And at least it is mid summer so nice and bright, not like it is all dark early as per the middle of the winter.

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 17-Jun-09 00:16:20

Message withdrawn

Tortington Wed 17-Jun-09 00:16:36

hoq old is she?

nappyaddict Wed 17-Jun-09 01:38:08

Aren't confiscated items usually given back at the end of the day?

flatcapandpearls Wed 17-Jun-09 01:51:51

No when I confiscate a phone I expect a parent to come in and collect it, for that reason I rarely have to collect that many

nappyaddict Wed 17-Jun-09 02:25:03

What about if they aren't able to get to school? I could probably count the amount of times my mum came to my secondary school because she doesn't drive and it wasn't easily accessible by public transport.

nappyaddict Wed 17-Jun-09 02:25:41

What about if they aren't able to get to school? I could probably count the amount of times my mum came to my secondary school because she doesn't drive and it wasn't easily accessible by public transport.

roisin Wed 17-Jun-09 03:01:36

hmm How old is she? Does she often need to call you on the way home from school?

ds1 is in yr7 and has a bus journey to school. They are not allowed phones with them in school, and any minor issues that have occurred on the journey he's got on and coped with without having to phone us or anyone else.

At our school if they are caught texting in class the phone is confiscated for about 48 hours, and the parents have to come in and sign a statement to say they understand phones are not allowed in school, and they collect the phone, not the student.

Stigaloid Wed 17-Jun-09 10:44:56

How old is she? Can you not give her a bike to ride so she will be quicker at getting to school.

I managed to get to school (3 miles including train rides and walking down alleys) everyday without a mobile for years. Am sure she will be fine.

Or else you can get a cheap pay as you go from carphone warehouse for less than a fiver these days. Why not get emergency back up phone for her?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now