Talk

Advanced search

Trainee bloodtaker...... unimpressed by needlework

(12 Posts)
ipanemagirl Tue 16-Jun-09 17:21:51

I have been giving blood for years and for the first time yesterday I had a man who was also a trainee. And he was so full of pomp and introductions and questions and asked me how I was and was it alright that he took blood and that though he was a trainee, he was allowed to do it if he could find a vein etc etc.
What a meal he made of it! He disinfected my arm with a swab for seriously about 2 whole minutes, he prodded and looked at my vein forever before he started. Then it was quite uncomfortable etc After all this he wanders off to do the 'you don't have Aids do you' questionnaire with someone more interesting and just left me to another woman who covered up the needle jabbed into my arm and muttered to another woman that he'd done my paperwork wrongly. Today my arm looks like I'm some kind of junkie!
I mean, why give the job to a Nob like that? I've never had a moment's trouble with any of the countless women who taken blood before.
It's just so arsey the way he was so grand about himself and yet not even realise how rubbish he was!

mrsruffallo Tue 16-Jun-09 22:40:21

I am sure he will get better with time.He is a trainee, he was practising on you wink

NorthernLurker Tue 16-Jun-09 22:43:02

In fairness I suspect that the disinfecting bit is protocol now - there have been various directives issued on what should be used and to what degree. The rest is a bit crap - but he's got to learn somehow!

PortBlacksandResident Tue 16-Jun-09 22:50:14

Oh God i'm always used by the nurses as an example of someone with no veins (i'm sure i actually do possess them just so low down that you can't see them and have to feel for them after ten mins of hand pumping on my part). Therefore i get every newby going having a prod. I take it as a compliment that i'm fairly unflappable about needles so they can practise on me.

I usually come away from giving blood looking like a heroine addict too.

Send him my way - i'm guaranteed to make him nervous lick him into shape grin.

PortBlacksandResident Tue 16-Jun-09 22:51:04

They have to disinfect for a rather awkward couple of minutes too nowadays don't they?

katiestar Tue 16-Jun-09 22:54:50

Everyone has to learn

Mytyl Wed 17-Jun-09 00:07:01

In bygone years all the staff at blood donation sessions were trained nurses and there was always a Doctor present as well.

How times have changed!

ipanemagirl Wed 17-Jun-09 10:20:06

Of course all posts are right... I think what struck me was the difference you can sometimes see between men and women trainees. A male trainee can sometimes be so grand and pompous to cover for nerves rather than just being normal.
I also am very pro being a guinea pig for trainees, I just think he needs to be supervised for longer before let loose on the public!

ipanemagirl Wed 17-Jun-09 10:21:14

Mytyl
I think they've cut back on staff loads over the years which is why even if you want to give blood it's so hard to get an appointment.
I've only ever had nurses in the past too who are just good at it!

MummyDragon Wed 17-Jun-09 12:18:19

Then why not give some feedback? Isn't that what traineeships are all about? Let the clinic know what you liked and disliked about the experience; if he has a professional attitude he will take your constructive criticism on board.

And well done to you for giving blood smile

mumof2222222222222222boys Wed 17-Jun-09 12:22:39

On Monday I gave blood for the first time in years...and hadn't it changed...I am not quite 93 byw!

The swabbing thing was wierd, but fortunately my chap was not a trainee and did a good job!

Btw I was prompted to make appointment by a thread on here, so thanks to the OP of that one! smile

ipanemagirl Wed 17-Jun-09 13:11:12

I would like to encourage people to give blood too but I feel so sanctimonious when I do, I even hesitated and didn't wear my world Blood Donation badge on Monday because it just made me feel like some doorstep evangelist. I should probably just get over myself.
Most people I know are virtually phobic about needles though. They say they nearly faint or are sick at the sight of them.
mummydragon I fedback online yesterday and they are going to call me. I had to take dd to the gp today and showed him my arm and he said I won't die but that the trainee had made a bit of a botch!
A friend guilted me into donating blood a few years ago and in my mind I'm putting it into a notional 'pot' just in case any of my loved ones need blood, of course I think of anyone who needs it, but the thought somehow prompts me to organise it, it's sort of selfish and superstitious but it's the way I make myself do it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now