Talk

Advanced search

To think that this company is well out of order? (innit)

(18 Posts)
chegirl Mon 15-Jun-09 23:47:04

I ordered a carpet cleaner from Studio last week. It was a LOT cheaper than RL shops. I thought at the time 'wonder how they manage it'.

I think I know now. I got the statement. I had no intention of taking out credit agreement so didnt read the terms when i bought cleaner. I am going to pay in a lump sum.

I was amazed when I saw what interest they charge. I used to use catalogues when I was young and v.poor so I know they charge high APRs. Wasnt prepared for this though

44.5% shock shock and again shock

Bloody hell, is that even legal??? (sure it is but it shouldnt be}

I know that people should check these things and understand them before they buy. But I know quite a few people who wouldnt. I have worked with plenty who simply would not understand what that sort of APR means. I have limited sympathy for people who rack up huge debts buying stuff they dont need but flippen eck 44.5%

That is loan shark rates isnt it?

BitOfFun Mon 15-Jun-09 23:49:24

< draws curtains >
< hides behind sofa >
grin

chegirl Mon 15-Jun-09 23:54:46

Oh oh Why, what have I done?
<feels a bit scared>

MissSunny Tue 16-Jun-09 00:57:31

Message withdrawn

dilemma456 Tue 16-Jun-09 10:08:31

Message withdrawn

dilemma456 Tue 16-Jun-09 10:09:01

Message withdrawn

PussyGalour Tue 16-Jun-09 10:09:55

If it's still within 7 days send it back under the distance selling act.

mayorquimby Tue 16-Jun-09 10:29:22

so the company is out of order by offering a service and clearly stating their terms and conditions because the people buying it might not bother to read the terms?

LaurieFairyCake Tue 16-Jun-09 10:37:15

don't worry you can still pay the first statement (all of the balance) at once.

I've ordered stuff from studio before, never used the credit, ever had a problem

motherlovebone Tue 16-Jun-09 10:40:41

isnt there a 14 day period where you can change your mind?
contact consumer direct (the old trading standards) you can even email, plenty good advice there.
FWIW, i just hired a carpet cleaner "Rug Doctor" from Morissons supermarket for £26 including 2l detergent for 3 days....

junglist1 Tue 16-Jun-09 11:42:22

Here we go, legalised robbery again. I use Brighthouse because I don't really have any choice, but I don't agree with scamming people who live on minimum amounts. Oh no, but it's a company so it's perfectly fine, isn't it? Nick a chicken from Tesco though, and it's handcuffs all the way (I wouldn't know personally of course, I don't even like chicken much grin.) And don't get me started on TV licenses, FFS!!

mayorquimby Tue 16-Jun-09 11:58:34

but they're not stealing, it's nothing like nicking a chicken from tesco. they're offering a service and lets be honest it's normally for non-essentials, fair enough if companies start gouging customers for milk and bread or baby-food. it's not legalised robbery, it's someone saying you can have x for y amount. it's all their in black and white. the customer then decides if they want to pay the agreed fee, normally a small amount per onth over a long period adding up to more than the item would cost if paid for all at once, or if they either want to save up or go without.
it's no good looking at an offewr, agreeing to the price asked for by the seller and then turning around and moaning afterwards that it's not fair.

mayorquimby Tue 16-Jun-09 11:59:02

*there

junglist1 Tue 16-Jun-09 12:16:21

I can't decide whether to accept their agreement or not, that's the thing. When my washing machine broke down, no way did I have money upfront to get a new one. The way I see it, it's not fair to start with, some people genuinely don't have a choice (and no suggestions to handwash in the bath please, I'm a full time student and need to sleep sometimes). Did you know there's even late fees? For what, apart from sickening greed?

dilemma456 Tue 16-Jun-09 12:32:45

Message withdrawn

callalilies Tue 16-Jun-09 12:39:08

They are not out of order no, unless their terms and conditions are in anyway unclear or misleading.

They are a commercial operation like any business, there to make money, and can charge whatever they like as long as there is a market for the service at those rates.

I really feel for people who are struggling financially like junglist, but that's not these companies' fault. It seems a bit distasteful them basically making money out of people in difficult situations, but it's perfectly legal as far as I know, with no coercion or misinformation involved.

junglist1 Tue 16-Jun-09 12:39:14

I would have done but am stuck in a credit agreement now! I'll know for next time though, great idea, thanks! Things are always breaking down in this house!

chegirl Tue 16-Jun-09 18:33:22

Seems to have been a misunderstanding here.

I am not complaining because I have been caught out. I never buy on credit.

I was waiting for the invoice to come through before I paid the` full amount. I noticed the credit terms when I was having a browse.

I just think its a huge amount of interest to pay. I personaly think its immoral. The other catalogues dont all charge interest but they do ramp up the prices, especially on toys and trainers. Some stuff is about 40% more than in the shops. They know their target market really well.

Junglist dont get me started on bloody Brighthouse. I hate that company, they are parasites. They push the 'have it now, why should you wait' message on luxury items. What you end up paying is incredible.

I know that we are all responsible for our actions. I dont have any credit cards or loans myself. But these companies encourage people to spend way below their means and them milk them for every penny they have not got.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now