Talk

Advanced search

To not particularly like it when when my Mum declares my baby has asthma and hayfever?

(4 Posts)
CurryMaid Mon 15-Jun-09 14:00:36

She doesn't, well she certainly hasn't been diagnosed with either.

She had a fever at the weekend and her eyes were streaming, plus she's still got a lingering cough from a cold a few weeks a go which we have seen the GP about (who practically rolled his eyes when I turned up).

I just felt a bit sensitive when my Mum declared "she's got asthma and hayfever" especially as she'll now no doubt go and tell the rest of the family that.

I know I'm being toucht but I just think it's a bit insensitive to go round diagnosing 10 month old babies with chronic conditions when you really know jack-all (she's not a Dr btw!)

mumto3boys Mon 15-Jun-09 14:06:08

YANBU. My children DO have asthma and hayfever but to diagnose a 10 month old on the basis of coughs etc is just ridiculous, plus upsetting for you. She probably doesn't realise how serious asthma can be, as you say it's a chronic condition.

One of my boys often gets streaming eyes with a cold and sometimes a fever. Plus coughs after colds can apparently last for up to 6 weeks, according to our GP. It's hard to tell as my lot usually get another cold before the 6 weeks is up!

I'm sure your mum doesn't mean to upset, but probably doesn't realise how serious asthma is. According to our asthma / allergy nurse, it's quite rare for babies to get hayfever, although not impossible.

MIAonline Mon 15-Jun-09 14:11:00

YANBU, That is just the sort of thing my mum does. Or gives me 'solutions' to medical problems, or gives some half baked reason as to why someone has got a medical problem (i.e didn't wear a vest ) It is very annoying.

Just smile and say next time you are at the docs you will be sure to mention it, don't do what I do ans attempt to disagree, there is no logic to it, but they sure as hell believe their own crap theories grin

Geocentric Mon 15-Jun-09 14:18:04

YANBU, my mum does that too - 'DS must have diabetes'; 'DS must be ADHD'... drives me nuts!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now