Talk

Advanced search

To be fed up that my FIL has subscribed me for endless spam?

(7 Posts)
Qally Sun 14-Jun-09 23:55:58

When I was pregnant my FIL "helpfully" took it upon himself to check out the cost of life insurance for DH and I. He did so on various comparison websites, and didn't just check - he actively registered, using my email address.

I have 3 email addresses. One for work, one for personal (family and friends) and one for bills, online shopping, and this sort of thing. I'm inundated with spam in the last address, and had never had spam to the personal one, ever - it's my full name, no dots, at a yahoo address. I've had it for a decade now, so it's my main address, really.

I just deleted 13 spam messages from my personal account in under half a day. I'm going to have to set up a new account, create an address book with 200 people in it, check the old one regularly as I'll be on some group mails where the sender will forget the change... such a bloody hassle. And all because FIL decided to register me without asking.

The insurance info was worthless anyway, as he didn't factor in that DG has a medical history, as do I, so none of the prices he found were remotely relevant. hmm And the best bit? FIL works in IT. How can he not know that this is a complete nono?

Stayingsunnygirl Mon 15-Jun-09 00:02:23

Send him pizza in the middle of the night. wink

But seriously, I don't think you are being unreasonable, and he should have known better.

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 15-Jun-09 00:22:40

Message withdrawn

Qally Mon 15-Jun-09 11:13:19

Starlight - isn't it great when your Mum still thinks you're five? grin

TBH the thing that's really grinding my gears is his being in IT himself. My Mum or an aunt or something - hell, DH - and I'd not be quite so peed off. It would just be stupid. But he works in the industry! How can he not know that this is Not Done?

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 15-Jun-09 17:58:00

Message withdrawn

alicet Mon 15-Jun-09 18:04:27

Come on I'm sure we can be a bit creative and arrange for lots of info on things he might like to be sent to him! How about stannah stairlifts, coach holidays and other old people type stuff? grin

Qally Mon 15-Jun-09 20:01:34

Aww, no, I love FIL! He's a dear bloke, he can just be mesmerisingly stupid at times. Off in an intelligent person.

Example: the day before we had an open house, we were tidying frantically to make the house look fab. We come outside with tea, and find him wobbling a bit of the garden wall - the side that isn't our responsibility - saying, "ooh dear, that's not good is it, look, there's a crack here...!"

He wouldn't stop until I was actually shouting. But he's so incredibly kind and decent it seems churlish to complain. I save that for his ex-wife!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now