Talk

Advanced search

To say some people on "freecycle"; are just bloody rude!

(38 Posts)
MissSunny Sun 14-Jun-09 22:11:15

Message withdrawn

Flibbertyjibbet Sun 14-Jun-09 22:15:28

Yes some people are damn rude and most of them seem to be freecyclers!

I registered one day, sent a nice email the next day asking for something, seller told me to come collect at x time, I said thanks where are you? She didn't reply then reported me to the moderator for not turning up!!

So that was me and freecycle over and done in 2 days and never been back on.

Age concern takes small electrical appliances. Or put it on ebay start 99p local collection only. I get rid of all my tat that way.

Paolosgirl Sun 14-Jun-09 22:16:08

No, YANBU at all. Some people are just plain ignorant and ungrateful - and as for some of the "wants" on Freecycle! shock

MissSunny Sun 14-Jun-09 22:43:40

Message withdrawn

Qally Sun 14-Jun-09 22:49:09

YANBU. One guy posted a detailed and articulate post on why he should get a Dualit toaster (chrome, no less) as he "knew people may have been given one as a wedding present by an old fogey like me". Translation: please give me your £100 toaster for nothing, because I'm implying this designer item is worthless tat.

I also posted a pretty decent bed on Freecycle as we're moving, and some of the replies were staggering. "I can take this off your hands for you call me on X number." I felt like replying "sorry, given it to someone who understood the word 'please'." Then there was the bloke who offered us a fiver for it. Um, it's a decent bed? If I wanted to sell it, I'd put it on Ebay and make the money, thanks.

In fairness, others are lovely. The woman we gave it to was a sweetheart, we had the van from moving so delivered it for her as it was a big item, and she had been completely honest (lost her job, teenage daughter's bed broken - we had quite an assortment of sob stories and I was certain a few were planning on Ebaying it) and another woman who collected a desk from us brought a bag of rhubarb she'd grown, to say thanks. I've also come across some lovely people when getting things myself - though also people using you as a free rubbish collection service. It's just... people, I guess. Variable!

SomeGuy Sun 14-Jun-09 22:56:08

I tried it once, people don't seem very grateful really, not bothered again.

SomeGuy Sun 14-Jun-09 22:57:24

You get nicer feedback from ebay buyers than freecyclers paying nowt.

I would give it a miss - stick things on ebay, something like a bed people will come and pick up, just make it clear that's the deal.

At least you get paid for it.

MissSunny Sun 14-Jun-09 22:59:00

Message withdrawn

I would just recommend waiting a few hours before deciding who to give something to. I've had:

-people who ask like "I'll come for it tonight call me" "Call me with the dimensions/send photos and I might have it" hmm
- people who just don't turn up
- people who wait for you to say "you're welcome to it" and then announce they can't get there for a couple of weeks, or announce days later that they have no way of getting it to their house (even small stuff like trousers!)
- people who ask for EVERYTHING I offer no matter what it is (obviously traders)
- people who walk in take the item and stuff it in the car without so much as a hello hmm

But don't give up on freecycle because for every arsehole there's at least two diamonds who would bend backwards to help you out.

PrincessLayer Sun 14-Jun-09 23:12:38

I offered a rather lovely old solid wood wardrobe. One bloke offered to take if off my hands as "it would be great for firewood" shock, along with the usual rude I want crowd.
I did get a lovely email off one woman. I offered it and she came and collected as arranged. She even emailed me a photo of said wardrobe in-situ.

I must say I have used her email as a template for the couple of offered items I've replied to since and have got both things.

TheLadyEvenstar Sun 14-Jun-09 23:21:50

The thing is you can report freecycle members for rudeness etc to the owner/moderator...i should know i recieve enough of them lol.

I started my local group up in 2007 when I was pg with ds2 and i now have 10418 members. As a owner/moderator I am sick of the ignorance of some members and have sent warnings out to them. I also hate the way they cannot follow the simple rules i have...
But I have to keep smiling and be polite.

MissSunny Tue 16-Jun-09 01:12:23

Message withdrawn

Triggles Tue 16-Jun-09 08:35:10

I really detest the ones that send a short message saying "I'll have it" - hours or even a day or two after you've posted that it's already taken. Once I've posted on the site that it's taken, I no longer answer emails that ask for the item (or I'd be doing email all day sometimes!). But I've had a few people that got all nasty at me because I didn't answer their email demanding the item - well after it had been posted it was taken. angry

NormaSknockers Tue 16-Jun-09 08:46:46

I haven't been back on FC for ages!

I had a really horrid experience with a childs swing that I put on there, one lady asked for it, said she'd collect at X time, she didn't arrive, no email no explanation so I gave it to the next person in the queue as needed it gone. The next day the original woman got in touch & I politely explained it had gone to the next person - well the abusive email I recieved was enough to panic me so much I phoned DH in a right old state.

I did have a lovely experience though too where I offered up a large bin bag full of cuddly toys some BNWT, a lady from a Hedgehog society thingy collected them & was so grateful, she popped back a few days later with a thankyou card & a letter all about the hedgehog foundation & what they were using the cuddly toys for (a raffle) & how grateful they were so that was lovely

angel1976 Tue 16-Jun-09 09:25:20

I was going to post on here moaning about almost the same thing... Some woman posted on my local group that she had just come out of a 'very difficult relationship' and went on to ask for a list of things (fair enough!) which included 'an Xbox/PS2/Any old games console with games if possible, car stereo with cd player, car seat covers, a working MP3 player/cd walkman'... hmm When did these items become 'necessities'?!!!

I did 'give away' my baby swing to a lovely lady and told her that I needed the space but would have loved to have kept it for my second (not pregnant at that time!). She emailed me a pic of her daughter in it literally half an hour after her husband came to pick it up and it was so sweet. She also offered to give it back to me when she is done in case I got my second, and she did when I told her I was preggers with my second! That made it all worth it... ;)

ItsAllaBitNoisy Tue 16-Jun-09 09:42:21

I sent a nicely worded email a few days ago for an item I would like. I got a reply saying: "still available. ring XXXX".

Even that has wound me up. How hard is it to say "Hi"? I can't be bothered dealing with her now tbh.

I got a bit bold last night. I got yet another ridiculous email requesting a "donkey, cart and harness" - I mean WTF?! So I sent a request for "Thoroughbred Showjumper and harness". I got an email this morning saying my message wasn't approved. grin

NetworkGuy Tue 16-Jun-09 09:49:55

Good to see some positive comments although it does seem that we (as a nation) don't seem that good at being either (a) punctual and polite, or (b) grateful when someone is providing something for free.

I wonder whether it's a regional thing, or do others think it is down to a slightly more 'hectic' lifestyle that makes people rude insofar as being curt in what they write, as if everything can be shortened to text speak and 'Ps and Qs' can be ignored.

Or could it be partly an age thing? Just that I'm now 50 and know it, when I sometimes feel out of touch with new trends!

5inthebed Tue 16-Jun-09 09:52:10

I advertised a toddler bed and a plant last week. I got loads of requests for both, more for the plant!

The woman who collected the toddler bed was lovely, but her husband was a miserable thing who didn't even mutter a thanks. I did get a lovely email off her later though saying her grandaughter loved the bed.

The man who colected the plant was actually a local radio DJ! So even "slebs" like Freecycle!

amberatkins Tue 16-Jun-09 10:25:33

So glad I found this thread, FC really annoys me at the moment. I've given loads away over the last couple of years (only received items twice) and the people are so rude!!!

On last item I posted, I clearly said 'please only reply if you can collect between X and Y', I had to email 3 people before I got someone who could actually collect between those times. Grr!!

On our local board there are more 'wanted' posts than there used to be (though tbh they seem to have cracked down on it in the last few days). I mean, wouldn't we all want a free 12ft trampoline, a washer/dryer, mountain bikes etc.
This one took the biscuit for me 'WANTED: Widescreen TV 28inches or bigger'. How effing RUDE!! Where do these people get off??!!

HellHathNoFury Tue 16-Jun-09 10:38:19

I hate freecycle and Ebay as a seller is pretty dodgy now, especially if you use paypal...
but if you want to give something away you can't go past gumtree!

I get rid of all my tat and the people seem pretty nice!

oliverboliverbutt Tue 16-Jun-09 10:45:43

I'm in London and I hardly ever get any rude people.
there have been a few no shows, but mostly they show up when they say they will and say thank you.
I don't give the stuff to the first person however, I do wait a bit and try to get a feel for the person through their email, if that's possible.
I love freecycle!

nickschick Tue 16-Jun-09 10:45:54

On our freecycle some one asked for ' a range rover (with mot)'

ABetaDad Tue 16-Jun-09 10:48:03

Never been on Freecycle but some people on there are perhaps just looking for free stuff to sell on.

The ones who say they will have stuff and then do not turn up are possibly just trying to line a buyer up and make a quick turn.

I work for a charity where we work with people in real financial need, making small loans and helping with debt conselling and often direct people to other local charities that recycle beds, sofas, etc. so I am not cynical about recycling stuff to people who have real need. Some people take advantage though and that ruins it for others.

lucykate Tue 16-Jun-09 10:52:45

i've found freecyclers to be ok, so far!, in my area. we gave an ikea chair to a young couple, they were really quiet when they came to pick it up, but an hour later after they'd gone, i got a really nice email to say how grateful they were.

we did well out if it too, bike for dd.

clemette Tue 16-Jun-09 10:53:30

I really like freecycle - have got a whole host of very useful things, and have gifted things to some great people.
I also, however, get irritated with the way people reply to OFFER posts. This week I offered a bag load of Disney videos. One person replied with "hey bud, could you deliver?". Grr.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now