Talk

Advanced search

to leave DS in his tent....?

(45 Posts)
LightShinesInTheDarkness Sat 13-Jun-09 23:30:38

DS is 8. He has pitched his little tent on our garden and fallen asleep, snug in his sleeping bag. He wants to stay out there all night.

Tent is pitched under the security light which will come on if he steps outside the tent. Garden gate is locked. We live in a large-ish village, residential street, garden is secluded but not isolated.

Will be be OK out there?

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Sat 13-Jun-09 23:34:05

This is tough. Part of me would say leave him, the other part would say don't risk it. I'd bring him in.

Kbear Sat 13-Jun-09 23:34:19

Head says yes he'll be fine, heart says nooooo bring him in and wrap him up in cotton wool!

southeastastra Sat 13-Jun-09 23:34:51

aw where are you? it's raining like mad here (south herts)

nickschick Sat 13-Jun-09 23:37:25

NOOOOOOOOOO bring him in or sleep out there with him....its a bit risky and you wont be able to sleep for worrying

Bonneville Sat 13-Jun-09 23:41:03

I would sleep out with him. (I seem to recall a child going missing from a tent at their grandparents garden some time ago). Anyone else remember?

LightShinesInTheDarkness Sat 13-Jun-09 23:43:32

southeast - no rain here.

Balance of opinion seems to be to bring him in.

What do you really think could happen? I was not worried about him being stolen.

paisleyleaf Sat 13-Jun-09 23:44:06

Bonneville, I remember - it's one of those cases that haunts me, I just can't get that one out of my head.
It was just so shockingly horrible.

Best get your sleeping bag then Lightshines.

ItsAllaBitNoisy Sat 13-Jun-09 23:48:31

Drag your duvet out and snuggle up, I think. You'll get a lovely smile in the morning for it!

BottySpottom Sat 13-Jun-09 23:49:32

What if he woke and was frightened - how would you hear him? or if he was ill? badgers or foxes got into garden and scared him? No way for me I'm afraid. Go and join him grin

LightShinesInTheDarkness Sat 13-Jun-09 23:53:47

(rummages around for spare sleeping bag)

I'm a goin', I'm a goin'....!!

KatyMac Sat 13-Jun-09 23:54:57

Compromise

Sleep downstairs near where he would come in to the house if upset

Let him have his adventure

Chandra Sat 13-Jun-09 23:59:49

no, sleep on the tent with him, if anything leave the tent before he wakes up but don't leave him there alone (would only do that if I was 100% clear that there is absolutely no way for someone to come into the garden)

Chandra Sun 14-Jun-09 00:00:14

in the tent

Bonneville Sun 14-Jun-09 00:03:08

Yes Light - get thee in that tent now! Some things just HAVE to be done!

LightShinesInTheDarkness Sun 14-Jun-09 00:03:33

Katy M - that is a good option, actually. I could sleep in the conservatory. Would not cramp his style so much as getting in with him (it is a very small tent!!)

tbh, I was secretly hoping I was everyone would reassure me he will be fine!!

southeastastra Sun 14-Jun-09 00:04:35

blimey i wouldn't get in with him grin

if he's ok leave him, maybe he'll join the foreign legion when he's older grin

LaurieFairyCake Sun 14-Jun-09 00:04:54

he will be fine - do you know how cool that is wink

very famous five-ish

LightShinesInTheDarkness Sun 14-Jun-09 00:16:45

Popped out to check him. Absolutely sound asleep (he does not usually wake at night).

Need to decide!

cthea Sun 14-Jun-09 00:16:55

DS (9) did this a few weeks ago. He came in about 3 a.m. for a wee and because he was "a little bit cold".

KatyMac Sun 14-Jun-09 00:19:14

Conservatory

He will be fine

You will be reassured

The window will be open - you would hear anything

rehtom Sun 14-Jun-09 00:19:30

Not sure I could leave an 8 yr old out there on their own. Then again, go for it! Easy to say when it's not my son.

seeker Sun 14-Jun-09 00:22:14

Go to bed. He's fine. But leave the door unlocked so that he can get in if he wants to. Don't spoil his adventure.

LilTulip Sun 14-Jun-09 00:23:25

I Would leave him be, He will be fine. Make sure you leave a light on in the house in case he needs the loo smile

seeker Sun 14-Jun-09 00:23:32

Have you got a battery lantern or a torch that you can leave turned on in the tent next to him in case he does wake up, and a note saying to come in if he wants to?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now