Talk

Advanced search

to accept a job but attend another interview next week for a job I would prefer...

(25 Posts)
IThinkIKnowTheAnswer Sat 13-Jun-09 22:53:39

...and if I get it then tell the people at the first job that I won't be starting after all? Not an ideal situation I know but I don't want to turn the first job down then find I don't even get the second one. Honest answers gratefully received!

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Sat 13-Jun-09 22:56:05

I would but I'd tell the first ASAP so they can make alternative arrangements.

janeite Sat 13-Jun-09 22:56:59

Yes yabvvvu. You would do much better being honest about your situation and seeing if they would give you a week to consider. If you are that good, they'd be willing to wait for you. Totally unprofessional attitude to accept it and then tell them you've had a better offer (or any excuse you'd make).

ZakuroFujiwara Sat 13-Jun-09 23:02:41

I disagree with Janeite. Peoples circumstances change all the time. It's annoying as a manager when someone does this but I don't think you owe the first company anything at this point...

SerendipitousHarlot Sat 13-Jun-09 23:12:56

janeite I disagree completely. She owes the first company no loyalty. They'd be quick enough to knock her back for the job if they preferred another candidate!

YANBU, OP.

FairLadyRantALot Sat 13-Jun-09 23:17:51

erm, in current job market...op yanbu ....#
janeite, you are naive, I think...whilst I agree it is not the ideal...but....

janeite Sat 13-Jun-09 23:18:04

But they didn't prefer another candidate. They have offered it and she wants to accept it and then see if she gets a better offer. It is very frustrating indeed when you have gone to the trouble of interviewing and then have to do it all again.

Though I suppose it depends what the job is. In teaching, we would have spent a whole day interviewing, after many hours of going through CVs etc and would only offer if we wanted that person. To then get a phone call after they've accepted is a pita.

FairLadyRantALot Sat 13-Jun-09 23:21:17

well...but that person could be invited to another interview before hearing back from you , janeite, so...what is tht person to do....

Current job market and financial issues simply don't allowe for that honesty , imo

SalLikesCoffee Sat 13-Jun-09 23:22:38

I do think you would be unreasonable, as the second applicant choice might really want this job, will be told he/she didn't get it, and might then accept something worse (especially in current conditions).

I think you need to decide whether you want this job or not, and if not really, give someone else that opportunity.

Another option would be to be completely honest, but obviously that might make it look like you're only accepting the first job as a "second best" - which it really is, I guess.

Also, if you do this through an agency, you'd give yourself a bad reputation, as it places the agency in a difficult situation (makes them look bad if their candidates do this).

Tough situation, and I have sympathy for you, but honestly - I'd go for the "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" approach, or else be honest (or at least don't give a definite "yes" yet).

janeite Sat 13-Jun-09 23:24:38

In teaching, the decision is made on the day - so no waiting around for a week to hear if you've got the job.

Oh well - takes naive self off to bed!

ItsAllaBitNoisy Sat 13-Jun-09 23:25:49

YANBU

...although blush

...I once did this and was caught in the reception of other possible job all dickied up for an interview, by my new boss.

It was an awkward moment..

<still cringing years later>

FairLadyRantALot Sat 13-Jun-09 23:27:58

lol...different jobs/different markets/and different waiting times....you are not really naive....and generally I agree with your take of honesty...but have learned now, that sometimes it doesn't serve you the best....but all depends

Bonneville Sat 13-Jun-09 23:28:25

I was once a small business owner and spent the first four days training a new starter only for her to ask on the Thursday if she could have the next day off to attend an interview which had been arranged before she accepted my offer of employment. To say I was hopping mad was an understatement. Even if she hadn't got the other job I would never have been happy employing her after this. Would have always felt she wasn't committed.

FairLadyRantALot Sat 13-Jun-09 23:29:53

bonneville, that does sound really annoying and you being mad is understandable...

really depends on the situation, iykwim

bigstripeytiger Sat 13-Jun-09 23:31:41

There are certain professions where this sort of thing is very negatively viewed. A friend of mine, a doctor, did this and the hospital that he dropped the job in threatened to report him to the GMC. Nothing came of it eventually, but very stressful for him at the time.

I think that the honest approach is that if you are offered the job say that you need a week to consider. Otherwise you could be doing permament damage to your reputation.

SalLikesCoffee Sat 13-Jun-09 23:34:43

I still think it would be unreasonable to do that, but at least it sounds like you're planning to do this before you're supposed to start.

Benefit is that they won't be wasting their time with a handover to someone that might leave (I hate that!), and the second choice might still be available - especially if you hear the results of second interview almost immediately. If all works out that way, I guess it would probably only cost them an extra week's temp fees (depending on the job obv).

JenniPenni Sun 14-Jun-09 01:20:17

It's all about business etiquette. It's important to be honest and upfront from day 1. I wouldn't accept a job if I knew I was going to another interview with a job I was more likely to want (???), as I would be messing 1st company around.

nooka Sun 14-Jun-09 06:08:07

I don't think you are being unreasonable to want to keep your options open, but I do think it is unethical to accept a job when you don't really want it, and might then turn it down. I've had this happen to me, and it was very annoying, I felt that the person in question had lied to me, had to turn down the other person, and then go back to them which was very embarrassing and awkward (especially as they were an internal candidate, and I had given them a long, "why this job isn't really right for you" chat). It leaves a very bad taste in the mouth.

Depending on the world you work in, it can also turn back on you (I was in health which is a very small world in some ways - if you stick around you will almost always find ex-colleagues and bosses on interview panels in the future).

I've also had candidates ask if they could wait to give their decision, which is frustrating, but then if you have an also ran you can keep them in the "maybe" loop, whilst you cross your fingers that the other opportunity does not work out for your favoured person. I've not heard of anyone saying no to a weeks delay.

snapple Sun 14-Jun-09 06:39:18

IMO you are not being unreasonable, especially in this employment market. I have recruited many people and I would not have a problem with this. I do ask if people are attending other interviews, and as long as you did not lie to me then I would not have a problem. I only want people to join my employer if they really want to. Changing jobs is a big decision and I want them to be motivated to join my employer for the right reasons, if they have found a better job in the interim then so be, it is supposed to be a free market.

As long as you let them know asap i.e when you know the outcome of your other interviewing. Also people sometimes accept a role and then change their mind.

In this market you need to keep options open, I was speaking to a recruiter who was saying that employers are often making offers and then withdrawing them, not something I have ever had to do (unless it was because of poor references for example). Although, I presume the offer that you have accepted is subject to the usual - i.e. contract, satisfactory references and any other vetting, or medical info they might have in place.

Also if someone joined and did not work out many employers would have no problem invoking a probation clause whereby you are given a weeks notice (this is also discussed at interview). A good recruiter should try have your motivation for moving in mind, so that the placement is a win win situation for both parties. Good Luck!

Also I always either wrote or contacted the back up candidates and let them know where we were at so that I could go back and offer the role to the runner up if required. As soon as you have made your decision let them know though.

sorry for such a long post I could go on and on.

oliviasmama Sun 14-Jun-09 07:31:54

Nah - don't do it IMO, not good. Ask for a week to consider.

snapple Sun 14-Jun-09 08:12:22

Good point from oliviasmama I think asking for a week to consider is good, but I gathered that you had already said yes.

blueshoes Sun 14-Jun-09 09:21:16

Interesting, snapple. I am glad that some employers take such a realistic view of this.

Can I ask, what level positions do you recruit for? Do you think the same thing would apply for senior level positions where the recruitment process is delicate and takes months and months.

IThinkIKnowTheAnswer Sun 14-Jun-09 19:17:28

thanks everyone - yes I have already accepted the first job offer, but this was before I found out I'd got an interview for the second job. I would be really happy in the first job but it's not as perfect a match to my skills as the second. I will be letting the first company know before I am due to start. Will let you know what happens.

KathyBrown Sun 14-Jun-09 19:20:36

Good luck with the interview x

ramalama Sun 14-Jun-09 19:25:58

I don't think yabu at all...if you get the other job then the Company will either go with their second choice or re-advertise...it's not ideal but it happens..particularly if you're going through an agency.

Good luck...hope you get it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now